Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions to ask you guys about a series of mods:

1. What are the best type of performance brakes to get out there and how reliable are these brakes? And how good are they on icy roads?
2. How much weight would the carbon fiber hood does it drop off of my car if I had it installed and how much or how long would it cost (labor) to put it on?
3. Who makes the best flywheel for our cars and how reliable is it compared to the stock flywheel? I heard it takes about a couple of hours to put on but I'm not for sure if that's true or not. And, of course, how much wheel horsepower would I gain if I had the lightened flywheel put on?
4. What's the 2nd best exhaust out there (Borla is #1, what's #2?) and how does it sound and look on the 3kgt?
5. What body kit has the best value for 3kgt's?
6. Is the Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley Kit worth spending money towards?
7. Is there any other products up here that I haven't mentioned above worth investing in besides NOS?

If you guys would answer any of these questions that I have listed above, I would really appreciate it.

Luke

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
1. What are the best type of performance brakes to get out there and how reliable are these brakes? And how good are they on icy roads?

Stillen cross drilled seem to be a popular choice... All you can do for icy roads is learn how to drive on them, not drive fast on them, and get some chains for your tires.

2. How much weight would the carbon fiber hood does it drop off of my car if I had it installed and how much or how long would it cost (labor) to put it on?

Not sure about this one, why not do it yourself?

3. Who makes the best flywheel for our cars and how reliable is it compared to the stock flywheel? I heard it takes about a couple of hours to put on but I'm not for sure if that's true or not. And, of course, how much wheel horsepower would I gain if I had the lightened flywheel put on?

Fidanza flywheel, some people have problems stalling out because your rpms drop faster with a lighter flywheel, and others don't.

4. What's the 2nd best exhaust out there (Borla is #1, what's #2?) and how does it sound and look on the 3kgt?

Borla, ATR Catback, and custom setups seem to be the popular picks for exhaust systems. Whatever exhaust ruiner has (I don't remember off hand) sounds VERY nice - it's loud and deep but might be too loud for some people's tastes. He has a downpipe and no main cat either. (It's on a VR-4 FYI)

5. What body kit has the best value for 3kgt's?

Body kits are all personal preference... Do a search for body kit and you'll find links to manufacturer's web pages.

6. Is the Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley Kit worth spending money towards?

Some people have problems stalling out when they get it.

7. Is there any other products up here that I haven't mentioned above worth investing in besides NOS?

Trade in yours and get a VR-4 or RT/TT - you'd get the most bang for the buck on this option, plus it opens your new car up for MANY more mods.

Hope this helps,

-KingNothing

4,448 Posts
hey, i see you're in IN... how close is clinton to purdue???

1) the best brake upgrade for a FWD 3S is a turbo front brake setup. you need the calipers, rotors, steering knuckles, and some more stuff. do a search for "non turbo front brake upgrade" for more info.

and brakes don't make a difference on ice. if you lock up your brakes and slide with small brakes, you'll do the same with bigger brakes.

2) it should drop somewhere around 40-60 lbs i would guess... no clue about labor for putting one on.

3) well, you have an auto so it isn't possible to get that mod...

4) 1st best isn't really the borla. a well designed custom exhaust would be the best. if you live near corydon, IN, go to melton's mufflers. the owner has a son here at purdue and he might be able to make something up for you. get 2.5" pipe with maybe a flowmaster muffler for a good sound. or apex'i N1 mufflers.

5) body kits suck. you don't need a body kit for your car to make it look good. and the ones they do make for our cars seem to be of shitty quality and don't look good anyways.

6) YES. it is THE BEST mod for a non turbo. if you're close to purdue, i'll help you put it on if you drive over here.

7) not really for the autos. an AFC (apex'i S-AFC, ~$350 at the most) would help you out. you could put on a test pipe in place of your cat. other than that, you really don't need much else. a 5 speed tranny swap would be nice when you blow your auto trans.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To Unclesam099: I'm about an hour and a half from Purdue. My brother used to go to Purdue so I used to go up there all the time. Now he goes to Indiana State University with me. I got your e-mail about the gathering coming up. Too bad I don't have enough money to even go there. I just got some custom pedals installed not too long ago that made me broke. The labor cost more than the pedals themselves. I live 13 miles exactly north of Terre Haute. There's a few 3kgt's and Stealths around where I live at, but I don't think that they're members here. The reason I don't put any of these parts on my own is because I have no experience in putting on modifications (although, I'm going to be taking some classes that will show me how to work on cars pretty soon). My brother used to be a Phi Sigma Kappa when he did go to Purdue and we still go up there every once in a while to talk to girls and party our asses off. Well I'll e-mail ya the next time my bro and I go up to Purdue. Take it easy

To KingNothing: Too bad I can't trade in my car. The only way I'll be able to get another car is if I pay cash for it so that I won't have to deal with payments. I'm going to try to sell my car for around 9-10 grand (that's why I don't think it'll sell, but it is the best looking car in my town by far) The amount of money I've invested in the car is up there (60k mile service, new tires, custom pedals, 400 dollar cd player, 300 dollar amp, 100 dollar 10 inch subwoofer, 200 dollar FIPK, and some other minor stuff) so that's why I'm asking that much for my 94 3kgt. It's in absolutely perfect condition. I have a friend with a 92 SL that I took a ride in and it had 78k miles and my car ran better than his (mine has 107k miles on it now) But who knows, I just have that big feeling it won't sell, that's why I'm considering just putting on more goodies this summer. Well thanks for your reply :)

Luke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts