Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got pulled over by a statey, he owns a 98' VR4

well,
i am pretty much fuct, i got nailed for 94 in a 65. The cop was a real ass hole. He made me get out of the car and lectured the shit out of me about how dangerous it was to be going the speeds i was going...no traffic. while this was all infront of my girlfriend who was practically in tears. well, turns out he owns a 98' VR4. i thought great, just maybe he will give me a little break. turns out he had didn't give a fuck and i drove away with a $164 fine.

now im gonna ask if anyone has any advice for me. i dont want to hear any of this "take it like a man" stuff because i already know what i did wrong but im fuct becuase my dad just got laid off and im gonna have to try to come up with some hardcore insurance cash for him. heres what happened: i passed a cop that was traveling in the oposite direction on the highway and he clocked me at 94. he turned around chased me and didn't catch up with me for about 4 miles which i gathered by were he said he clocked me from.

is there anything i can argue about the distance he clocked me at, which im not sure about, or he couldn't be sure it was me since i was already so far away or he couldnt have possibly seen my car or somethin. this happened at around 10:30 at night. im going to file for a "motion of discovery" to see if anything is out of date. is there any truth behind speed signs having to be registered? any info will help.
thanx
-Greg

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
That sux. When he did catch up with you, what speed were you doing? Did you notice him on the other side of the highway as you passed him?

If you were doing speed limit when he came up to you, I would say that you plead non-guilty and talk your girl into vouching that you were only going 65-70MPH or whatever speed it was when he caught up with you.

If you however were still doing 80+ when he caught up with you, I doubt there is anything you can do.

Good luck on this one man. Any chance your state allows taking traffic school to clear the ticket? That way it won't show up on driving record and insurance will never know.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
i thought radar was only accurate when the gun was shot at a stationary <sitting> position, if he was on the other side, and was moving, i think that messes up the accuracy of the gun... not sure about this though, but i think i remember hearing something about it.
Also, call the state dept. or police office, and verify the gun was calibrated in the morning <maintenance> and that the officer is rader certified. If he isnt certified to use the gun, itll get thrown out.. I got out of a ticket like that before.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i slowed way down and was only doing like 70-73 when he caught up to me, i didn't notice him on the other side but my two friends who were following me saw him flip his blues on going the other way but i didn't see it. and i asked to see his radar and it definatly said 94 but im wondering how legit it can really be. thanx for the support.
-Greg

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
they can clock you from a moving car, going in opposite direction. i thought the same thing before but a cop told me that it is possible to do that even if you are both moving in opposite direction. its very strange but if you think about it, the technology won't be impossible.

besides..if you are going 95MPH don't you think anyone would be able to tell you are speeding well above the speed limit, in opposite direction or not? and to a train professional such as police who's job is write out ticket, they can defintley guestimate how fast you were going.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
I think it uses doppler or something..doesnt matter what direction..what speed..stopped moving...just doesn't matter.
Just say they was other cars around you at the time and how accurate can he be at aiming the radar guns..they aren't small ya know...and be driving the other way at 70+ mph..while you going 70mph in the other direction...I just dont see how he can aim that good that quick.

-Jeff

·
reason for tickets.......
1,039 Posts
One time, I was going for a "ride" in the back of a police car, and I inquired about his radar (which was on while he was driving). He showed me, that you can clock someone driving in the opposite direction, someone driving the same direction (in front of you), AND, someone driving the same direction (behind you). It's amazing the technology they have...

·
your mom
303 Posts
Correct about the Doppler thing. Radar technology is actually quite primitive. For your people's reference the speed that a cop gets on his rader is simply the speed in which you're moving towards/away from him. Therefore if he's sitting perpindicular to your direction of travel you could be going 200 MPH and his radar would read 0. Just a nifty little tip for you, use it wisely.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Heres the advice I give every1
1) Never admit to anything in front of the cop
2) DO NOT pay the fine
3) U will appear before the DA on the date given on the tik, u can plea bargain with him to a lesser charge, He wants to plea bargain u. He does not want to use up his court time on a speeding ticket
4) If he wont plea bargain u, u have to go to court, get a court date, a week before get a continuance to push the court date back.
5) most states only allow 1 continuance but if u can get more, its in Your interest to get as many continuances as possible, cus the further away u push the date the more likely it is the cop will a) forget what happened b) not show up at court. If the cop doesnt show u r free to walk

Good luck

·
Big Kid
2,781 Posts
If you bend over I will send you some Vasaline:D

·
Registered
350 Posts
$164 is cheap, whenever I get pulled over its at least a $250 ticket.

·
Member# 2310
2,638 Posts
I don't know about your state but in FL you can accept the ticket pay the fine and go to traffic school. Then your insurance rates cannot be raised or your policy cancelled. I know because I just got a ticket for $45 that's what I'm gonna due as soon as I get money to pay.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
In arizona the cops have an auto setting that shows the speed of EVERY oncoming car. I know this cause of the mutiple ride alongs :rolleyes: i have had while awaiting my nites stay courtesy of the State.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well, if the cop loses site of you, you can not be charged for the ticket. 4 miles seems like a long time between when he clocked you and when you got pulled over, so you might have something there.

Also a friend of mine got off a ticket because he asked to see the radar gun and the cop did not show it to him. He obviously was speeding but denied it and got off of the ticket because the cop did not prove it.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
That sucks man. I bet the cop use to have a SL and then bought the VR4. At that time he relized how unsafe the SL is compared to the VR4 and became an "SL biggit"

I think Countach gave you very good advice.

I am thinking of joining law enforcement, but I will be a very lax cop when it comes to speeding. hehehe

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Although I'm not a genius with cops' radar technology, I would assume that it must be hooked up to their car's speedometer so that it can calculate how fast other cars are going no matter if they're idle or not. For instance, if the cop is going 70mph one direction and you fly by him the radar will read something like 160mph, which is the speed that the cars will be crossing at. The radar would know then subtract the cop's speed of 70mph and leave it with a 90mph readout of what the other car was doing. Again, I didn't take a school on how diagnos those things, but that's just my guess.

Oh, and nice to see some other Mainers with a good taste in cars.:)

·
your mom
303 Posts
Very right Thurazor.
Listen to Countach. I'd say 3 times out of 5 the cop won't even show up (he's not obligated to nor does he get paid to in my state) and you can walk.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey,
thanx for all the good words. he definatly lost site of me...i have heard rumors that after he lost site of me he is unable to ticket me...? can anyone varify this? i will also check on the driving school thing, the thing i am really worried about is this shit on my insurance. especially since i am looking to get a vr4. now i have to go through the pain of telling my parents, just waitin for the right time. well i never admitted anything to the cop so hopefully i still have a chance. is it worth getting a lawyer? how much would it cost? thanx everyone
-Greg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts