Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Here Alot
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I read many threads on here. I installed big and small krank vents and kept the stock PCV valve. I still get smoke at idle. Should I drilled out the stock PCV valve or should I leave the hose connected to the intake out and cap off the hole on the intake? Any idea?



Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,040 Posts
what I'd do first is check the rear IC pipes and the rear inlet tube. Possible that you've gotten enough in there to have a standing puddle, and your suckin it thru the turbo.

If that don't work- pull the rear KV outlet tube, and connect it to a breather, then cap off the nipple on the inlet piping.

Should at the least let you know what the problem is.

BTW- can you pull the dipstick out while idling? If so, and it's really easy, I'd recheck the lines and the direction.
 

·
Here Alot
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shadowfax said:
what I'd do first is check the rear IC pipes and the rear inlet tube. Possible that you've gotten enough in there to have a standing puddle, and your suckin it thru the turbo.

If that don't work- pull the rear KV outlet tube, and connect it to a breather, then cap off the nipple on the inlet piping.

Should at the least let you know what the problem is.

BTW- can you pull the dipstick out while idling? If so, and it's really easy, I'd recheck the lines and the direction.
I just went outside and tried to pull out the dipstick. I was able to pull it out (maybe twice as hard when the engine is off). I also checked the airflow on those krank vents. both airflow should be flow outward from the crankcase. Am I right?
 

·
Hellfire Master
Joined
·
2,666 Posts
MattRed3000GT said:
I also checked the airflow on those krank vents. both airflow should be flow outward from the crankcase. Am I right?
Yup that is correct. You might want to check your IC piping like Shadowfax said, if it has oil in it that could be the reason for the smoke. You may also want to do a compression test on each cylinder and a leak down test as well. That will give you more information.

What color is the smoke? How many miles on the car? It could be an issue that the KVs wouldn't be able to fix, like a head gasket or a bad turbo seal.

devilmanVISA
 

·
Here Alot
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lets see. I changed my value stem seals last summer.. changed turbo in Feb. did the compression test when I changed value stem seals. The only problem is I got no cats and I think that might be it. I checked ic pipes and no oil in it.

Car got 63,000 miles on it.. i dont' drive it daily
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,637 Posts
Manny TT's have this problem and people jump to valve seals. What color is the smoke and does it smell like fuel? IMO, Many TT's are unable to burn the fuel right with small gaps in the plugs. I was gapped at .032 with ngk plats and had this problem. I opened the gap and the smoking has gottin way better. However spark blow out has reared it's head. Later I will do the coil and wire upgrade with copper plugs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,040 Posts
Then do something VERY temp- find a vacuum cap (black one in the cheapy autozone kit) and cap the inlet nipple from the big KV, let the big KV just hang (since it ONLY allows air OUT, you don't NEED to worry about it for a short period).

Tell us if you get smoke then.
 

·
Here Alot
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shadowfax said:
Then do something VERY temp- find a vacuum cap (black one in the cheapy autozone kit) and cap the inlet nipple from the big KV, let the big KV just hang (since it ONLY allows air OUT, you don't NEED to worry about it for a short period).

Tell us if you get smoke then.
Hey shadow... you meant cap off the intake pipe hole and just let the big Krank vent hang instead of hooking it up to the intake pipe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,707 Posts
Matt, Mine smoked until I gutted the PCV valve.Put the PCV in a vise and drill from both sides.Once you get the spring out it gets harder.It took me 45min.maybe more maybe less.
 

·
Here Alot
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok. installed both krank vents with stock PCV valve .. still smoke. Then I cap off the hole that going back to the intake hole and put a breather filter on the back of the valve cover outlet.. STILL SMOKE... one last thing to try..... drill out the PCV valve
 

·
That Others May Live
Joined
·
3,845 Posts
If you're willing to wait a couple weeks, i am working on a deal to get the drilled out fitting from overseas.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top