Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, everyone, i was just wondering what experiences people have had with Synthetic tranny fluid. I ran Mobil 1 wich is a GL-5 in my last tranny, and well.....That was my last tranny! It blew up sometime after that(i am sure it was going anyway), but i am still worried to put that back in. I was thinking about some Redline 75w90 GL-4. Any thoughts??

thanka!

Brian
91 Stealth ES

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
Hey Stealth16,

From what I've read, the transaxle needs GL-4 to help protect the syncros.

Talk to Redline. Depending on your locale and type of driving, they recommend MT-90 or a blend of MT-90 and MTL.

Steve

·
Mmmmm, Boooooost!
1,563 Posts
Hey Brian,

If it were me, I'd do a more thorough reading of the manual. It clearly specifies using 75-90GL-4 fluid in the tranny for the sake of saving the synchros.

I made a mistake (and I'm kicking myself for it now) by changing my tranny fluid over to Redline MTL at 60K miles and the damn 2-3 synchro blew not two weeks later. Now possibly it's because we've got the worlds most unreliable trannys in our cars, but I had zero problems shifting whatsoever up til the point of changing fluids.

I'm very interested in finding out what the rest of the 3Si guys thing about tranny fluids. I'll start a new post soon.

Damon

P

·
0 Posts
I to am interested in changing my fluids in my 91 vr4 and am leaning towards mitsubishi fluids{what the dealer recomends}I have heardmajor horror stories and cannot afford to take any chances.My car shifts very nice as long as you treat it like it was intended.w/111k I asume that its the original tranny.Im looking forward to seing what fluids work an what fluids dont......Mark

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I am running a 50/50 mix of Red Line MTL and MT-90.
This was based on several e-mails I exchanged with Red Line. I gave them all kinds of detail about the car, driving habits, weather, etc. - anything I thought would have a bearing on the makeup/choice of the fliuds.

This is what they recommended for the transmission and transfer case.

It didn't seem to make much difference at first but after about 1000 miles post changeover it started to smooth shifting quite a bit. By 2500 miles post changeover it was shifting as well as any sports/performance car I've ever owned. I'm very pleased with the result (I thought the shifting on the factory fluids felt like a truck transmission).

Both products are GL-4 lubricants and should be fine for our cars.

Chris
'94 VR4

J

·
0 Posts
I had the same experience as DOCRADLEY with my 91 R/T. I changed to Redline MTL and the notchy shifts greatly improved.

john

1 - 6 of 6 Posts