Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a new car next may, so i was comparing prices on insurance for a second car. The results were really interesting.

The Cost of my insurance(94 base GT) is ~800, if you tack a 97 Porsche boxter to my policy, the insurance increases + 62% to 1300!!!! Yikes.

BUT if you tack a 94 VR-4 to my policy the insurance spikes to 1300 as well! as much as a 97 Boxter! AND the Boxter is still considered new(its new if its less than 5 years old)

Insurance on a 91 NSX is +50%, and the insurance on a 93 RX7 is +55%..... unexpected as well

another thing that was surprising was that the insurance on a 97 Eclipse Spyder GST(+38%) is the same as a 97 Talon TSI AWD(+38%).....

a 91 RT/TT would increase my insurance by +36%

based on my findings I think I may have to buy an NSX

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
so what is that in $$$$? i started off paying 706 every 6 months on mine...now im down to 547 every 6. oh yeah...1 more thing..im 19 and the car is in my name

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Mine is only $60/ month for full coverage and a $100 deductable.

23/m
married
no tickets ;)

BTW, your car is beautiful.

V

·
0 Posts
Mine is only about $100 more expensive compare to my friend's 4 door Civic.I pay about $1000 and he pays about $900.
I have full coverage policy with bad bad bad driving record.
And the Civic driver has much better driving record.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Insurance

Welcome to insurance hell!:mad: The main reason I'm selling my VR-4 is because of the insurace, it's absolutly sickening.. It costs more to insure the VR-4 than a brand new C5..

single
3 speeding tickets
no accidents

VR-4 = $2800/year:mad:

WS6 = $2000/year:)

Bye bye VR-4, hello WS6!

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, the 1300, is the cost of both vehicles(my 3000GT and a second vehicle). Also insurance varies on many factors ie where you live, how long you have lived there, what coverages you choose.

The years also matter, when the car is over 5 years old the insurance decreases drastically. Because the car is considered old.

I happen to live at the most dangerous intersection in the United States......(springfield interchange)...... my point is that the insurance on a 94 VR4(62%) is as much as a newer, 97 Boxter(62%).

Not only is it high as a Boxter, but its higher than all the cars on my list. Which includes a 93 RX7 TT(55%), 91 NSX(50%), 97 Eclipse GST Spyder(+38%) 94 Stealth TT(50%),

Also thanks for the complimant Matt

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Tqlla said:

based on my findings I think I may have to buy an NSX
Aw you poor baby... ;)

You make that sound like a bad thing. :p
hehe I wish I could buy a NSX right now... maybe in a year or 2 I will.

My insurance is strange... when I was getting quotes on VR4s/TTs several months ago at the time it would only be $10 more per month... now my insurance has been cut in 1/2 since I got my 3yr experience so it'd probably be $5 more/month... or about $95/month.
I was paying $150/month until this month on my base.

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and I am 22 single, with 1 major accident.

I want to buy an NSX! if I can afford a $30000, 10 year old vehicle. I should start saving right now!

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
matt you pay really cheap insurance.
I'm not on my car but if I was it would probably be about 1700 a year. Thats with good grades, low miles, perfect driving record.
and mines just an SL then again I am 19

-Jeff

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Stop your bitchin! If you lived in Jersey, you would be happy with those prices. I am 30 with no points and I have a daily driver-been with the same insurance company for 4 years. They charge me $2700 per year with $1000 deductible......and I wonder how all these 18 year olds can afford $40k cars------geesh!

Sam

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
damn you insurance companies, damn you! why do they have to pick on my most favoritest car.. since i'm 18, living in ontario or NY, i'd be charged a hefty $3-4K.. university student + VR4 + insurance = HAHAHAHAHA

btw my record is as clean as a whistle (not even a parking ticket), and ive had my license for 2 years.. does it matter? yeah right..

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just want to know why its soo high compared to other cars.... I still can't get over the 97 Boxter vs the 94 VR-4. Sure one has 320HP, vs 250. But the Boxter is made by a company who only makes only performance vehicles(except for an SUV).... its RWD... and its a two seater.... and its convertible

·
1 slick Mothafu*ka
2,287 Posts
My Ins is absolutely sickening.
i'll try to get something done about it.
It's $3,800.00/ year.

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
LOL... you guys wanna see some NUMBERS!?!? I am 18, clean record, and i live in AMHERST NY, (safest city in the US mind you)... and the LOW price on my car (see below) in my name is: *drum roll* 6500 a YEAR, full coverage, lowest deductibles. I put it in my parents name, (clean records also) and the rate is still about 2500 a year... and I'm not even REALLY listed as a driver... (even though MY name is on the title...hehe) just a houshold resident.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts