Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

going against a Cobra

595 views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Cameron 
#1 ·
I'm prepping for my demise. Saturday night me and a buddy from work are going to race. He's bringing his 97 Cobra and I'll be in my good 'ol N/A. It's gonna be a blast. I wanna see how well (if at all) I can hang with him, plus it's experience...who knows, maybe his motor will blow up and I can beat his ass fair and square!:D

#6 ·
I definately not expecting to be anywhere near him at the end. Hell, I'll be satisfied if I can still see his tail lights!

There's nothing to do around here, and it's just for fun.

#9 ·
Vr4me said:
Never under estimate your car. He will probably win but he will not kill you. (Cobras are not that fast)
:confused:

2001 SVT Mustang Cobra, 320 hp, 317 lb-ft torque. 0-60 mph in 5.4 sec, 1/4 mile in 13.8 sec @ 102 mph, 150 mph top speed...

Sounds fast to me.

I think the base 3000GT runs about 8 seconds 0-60 and 16+ in the quarter…

#10 ·
Cameron said:

:confused:

2001 SVT Mustang Cobra, 320 hp, 317 lb-ft torque. 0-60 mph in 5.4 sec, 1/4 mile in 13.8 sec @ 102 mph, 150 mph top speed...

Sounds fast to me.

I think the base 3000GT runs about 8 seconds 0-60 and 16+ in the quarter…
Well if he's a 5spd and can drive...with his mods he should be a high 14 to low 15 sec 1/4 mile. Either way he's not gonna win but on the other hand it shouldn't be a slaughtering.

#11 ·
BUt it's not a 2001 he's racing... it's a '97 and those were pretty slow compared to the new ones.

I don't have the actual stats but if I remember right, the '97s did around 14.5s?

So if our guy runs 15, that's only about 4-5 car lengths, not a slaughter at all...

AND REMEMBER the Cobra has a BIG V-8... our guy has only a little 6 cyl.

#13 ·
i hung with a 96 cobra until ~120 mph when he steadily pulled away, this was from a 70mph roll. i have yet to beat one at the track tho, i've seen 'em regularly pull low 14's if not lower. the new one would tear 99% of na a new asshole and i haven't seen that other 1% :D safe travels, good racing n good luck, come back with a good story to tell!

- mike

#14 ·
Never race a Cobra before, so I don't know how fast they are. Hopefully I'll get my chance.

Black94VR4

#15 ·
how can you say that a 3k will do 0-60 in 8 seconds? my automatic altima will do it in 6.9-7.3. you are fucking retarded. a base with the dohc 222hp should get around 5.9 if you can really drive and have a few mods to about 6.9 if you are an ok driver and have no mods. 8 seconds my ass. mustangs suck shit period. fuck ford!!!

#16 ·
I have raced a '98 Mustang Cobra back when I was stock. I took him off the line and might have BARELY pulled on him as we raced (we shut it down at around the 1/8th of a mile). He had intake, exhaust, 4.10 gears, and a short throw shifter. They are quick cars, don't let them fewl you... (He now has a 14psi supercharger on that 'stang...)

Oh well, at least you are racing for fun.

#17 ·
L A U G H!!!!!!

That is the funniest fucking post post I've ever Read!
Fuck Ford

#18 ·
Found out more about his car today...he put in a chip, but the car also has been flood damaged. He said a lot of water got under the hood and it needs a rebuild. We both have standards and I'm pretty good at taking off, I dunno about him. Oh well, not all I can do is drive around and burn off all this excess gas :)

#19 ·
"how can you say that a 3k will do 0-60 in 8 seconds? my automatic altima will do it in 6.9-7.3. you are fucking retarded. a base with the dohc 222hp should get around 5.9 if you can really drive and have a few mods to about 6.9 if you are an ok driver and have no mods. 8 seconds my ass. mustangs suck shit period. fuck ford!!!"

I wish I new what "few" mods I need to get my car to run a 5.9 0-60.

#21 ·
I have no respect for the 1996-1998 Mustang Cobras because I was going to buy one a few months ago and it was slow as hell! This car was so slow that I couldnt justify spending $14000 for it. It had an aftermarket exhaust and intake too.
I know from a low speed roll or from a stop that it WILL NOT KILL A N/A 3000GT. The Cobras from that year didnt even feel that much faster than my 1996 GT. Now from a high speed roll you will lose but form a low speed roll or a stop, who knows.

(I wasnt talking about the new Cobras because they are no joke.)

#22 ·
vr-4wannabe said:
how can you say that a 3k will do 0-60 in 8 seconds? my automatic altima will do it in 6.9-7.3. you are fucking retarded. a base with the dohc 222hp should get around 5.9 if you can really drive and have a few mods to about 6.9 if you are an ok driver and have no mods. 8 seconds my ass. mustangs suck shit period. fuck ford!!!
There is no need to be an ass just because you’re on a message board and anonymous. I say the stock does 0-60 in about 8 seconds because that’s what Car & Driver, Road & Track and several sources on the Internet say. I didn’t make it up.

You should seriously educate yourself on the facts before you call someone names. It’s people like you who give all the other 16-year-olds on this board a bad name.

There were several discussions on this topic:

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36478&highlight=060

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35663&highlight=060

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30961&highlight=060

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.