Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need information on glass packed mufflers. How loud are these compared to stock, compared to borla. I don't know if I've ever heard them before. Does anyone have them, or had them. Please give me any information that may be helpful.
Player--'92 3000GT SL
P.S. Will it give me the deep rumble that I want, without getting me a ticket, or interfereing with my music?

[This message has been edited by Player (edited December 22, 1999).]

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys, I know some of you have knowledge on this subject. And I really need to know so that I can set up an appointment today.
Thanks guys,
Player--'92 3000GT SL

H

·
0 Posts
It's almost a straight pipe. Hell ya it's going to be loud! It will be interesting to here it on a 3SI...

Phil

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
No, no one has experience !!!! You'll do the job and post the results here so we can then benefit from YOUR experience. It always needs a volunteer !

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know anyone with a 3S car that has glasspacks or fiberglass mufflers as we used to call them. If it helps any, I had a 1970 Camaro with a 307 V8, I removed the stock muffler and installed a Cherry Bomb glasspack muffler and a new tailpipe. It was much louder, and I never felt any improvement in performance. But I didn't know any better back then, learned a lot more about cars in the 25 years since then.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the mufflers used on the Borla exhaust a straight through design similar to a glasspack? There are many designs for the perforations in the pipe in the glasspack. Some are just hundreds of small round holes, others use a louvered cored that look like slots in the pipe. But they all have a fiberglass material wrapped around the pipe to deaden the sound waves.

I forgot to add, the NA cars might be louder with glasspacks because the turbo's on the VR-4 do reduce some some of the sound from the exhaust, they act like a muffler somewhat. The only restriction in your exhaust system is the Cat. I know a guy who has a NA Stealth and removed the two small resonators after the cat and before the muffler on the NA cars. He had a custom made pipe installed in their place. Now the car has a very tinny sound, no low tones at all, I think it sounds worse!

Brian

[This message has been edited by BD72055 (edited December 23, 1999).]

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if the borla is a similar design, then how does it compare to glass packs?
And are you saying that there will be NO performance increase?
Player

·
Registered
182 Posts
The reason I didn't "feel" a performance increase was beause I only replaced the muffler, when I should have replaced the entire exhaust system with larger tubing and installed headers too. That would have woke up the engine a little bit for more horsepower.

Brian

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
No, Borlas are not glass packs. Borla's are chambered, like Flowmasters /Dyno max, et al., meaning sound is deadened by having exhaust flow (bounce around) a series of chambers. Glass packs work by passing the exhaust though fiberglass deadener. Pros and cons? Glass packs are cheap, have a loud beefy muscle car sound especially with a lopey camshaft, and can get blown out if run HARD. Chambered mufflers are expensive (try a cheap alternative like Flow-Pro's, which are quality made, and fully welded), give greater hp gains, and will probably sound less harsh than g-p's, but more hi-po than stock. I have only heard g-p's on domestic v-8s. Hard to say how they will sound on our cars (could be just the "oomph" they need, or may make a really bad match). Hope this helps, for the cost, and if you like volume, it could be worth a try! I just prefer subtlety in my cars sound.

K

·
0 Posts
I think that you will find that glass packs make your car louder, but will not give it the kind of low rumble exhaust which makes it sound like a V8. The old V8's with glass packs (yes I used to have one) sounded that way because the exhaust already had that tone before you added any mufflers.

Our cars are different, you really need a resonator quality to the exhaust system to give the rumble sound. When I put my ATR exhaust on (great sound by the way), I tried running the car with everything from the cat back removed and the sound was very disappointing i.e. too much like a rice rocket for my taste, but your taste may be different.

Glass packs do deteriorate (at least they did in the old days) and provided less sound deadening as they aged.

As previously mentioned, an NA car has a better sound naturally than the TT because of the turbos in the exhaust stream. I had a 91 base stealth and it sounded much better than my TT before I modified it. I would guess that if you remove the stock muffler and run the car, you will get a similar sound quality to what you can expect with the a glass pack.

My 2 cents worth...

Ken
'95 VR4

·
'05 Pontiac GTO CGM/M6
228 Posts
I agree with ken, glasspacks sound great on V-8's and even some V-6's with larger displacements. I had an '82 S-10 with a 4.3L V-6 with headers, dual pipes and flowmasters with 4" tips on it. It sounded awesome, but the only reason it did, was because of the larger displacement (the 4.3 is just like the 350 but without the extra two cylinders) Our cars only have a 3.0 displacement which is considerably smaller,which is why those idiot "ricers" who put these performance mufflers and glasspacks on their 4 cylinders, sometimes with a header, makes their rides sound like a hive of pissed off bumblebees. My advice is to get some kind of chambered muffler, such as a flowmaster, borla etc.,high flow cat, and either a 4" resonator tip, or dual 2.5" out the one side. Just my 2 cents.
Happy holidays all!

-Ed
'93 R/T

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
I had a glass pack on a 89 Ford Probe. I just used a hacksaw to take off my muffler and put the cherry bomb in it's place. It actually sounded really good, and I got lots of compliments on it. It does free up a LITTLE more power, just from restiction from the muffler. Before I put the glass pack on, I tried my car out after cutting off the muffler, and there was really no difference in the sound or performance. I'd basiacally tell you that putting on a glass pack is about the same as just taking out the muffler, but every car is different.

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Elitestreet99,
What kind of engine does the probe have? And you said that it sounded pretty good? I'm really contemplating what I'm going to do.
Player--'92 3000GT SL

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Ok, here is the set up I have on my 91 RT TT. My tips were shot so I got these and had them put on and took out the stock muffler. I just unbolted it from the cat and had a pipe with a T put in that runs to both side and elbows off the end of the T to the back and then put on the Dual tip resonators. Here is the description and where you can get them. They look great and sound excellent. It is not loud in any way but give it a nice low tone and a racy sound all in one at the same time. I really don't think you can go wrong with this set up and it is cheap; especially if you need new tips.
TWIN-PORT EXHAUST TIP
http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=3165

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Opps, Sorry I used the ones with the PACESETTER BIG BORE MONZA TIp Contains mini glass-paced resonators

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do the tips have much to do with the sound? Are there certain tips that do? Do our stock tips?
Thanks guys,
Player

D

·
0 Posts
My 91 RT/TT also has the Monza style tips (with the small glass packs)--car came that way when I bought it.
It does sound more like one of the hopped up Honda's than a V8. Except for a 'droning' at certain engine speeds (which seems to be around 60 mph!), I don't mind the sound.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I, too, was also thinking about getting a custom exhaust system. I have a 91 Stealth ES, and i checked around for whole systems, and i couldn't find anything for under 800 bucks. Thats a lot of dough. I was thinking about going down to Meineke and having them put on a Cat-back system with a flowmaster or borla muffler. I really don't want my car much louder, i really like the intake sound much better than the exhaust. I have a K&N filtercharger, and i did the resonator bottle mod. Everything i have heard said that for good power increases, you need to modify the intake and the exhaust, not just one or the other.

Brian
91 Stealth ES

1 - 18 of 18 Posts