Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally hate the whole front wheel drive part about my car. I think kinda ruins a great car(for me). Weather's not bad here. No gain. And torque steer sucks. The front wheels are always spinning when I give it some gas (even with new tires). I can't jump out into traffic left or right at a stop sign because the front wheels want to slide forward while the wheels are turned(toward the curb). I couldn't even think about adding a whole lot more power because taking off fast is a hassle and sometimes embarrasing as it is. I have to hold on to the steering wheel with 2 hands and then shift. I'd like my car a whole lot more if it were RWD. I know it sounds like I'm complaining, I am. But just about the FWD thing. Other than that, I really do like my car alot. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
that is the only think that bugged the crap out of me about my sl. so i bought a vr4

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah, i wish my car was RWD, too, but with some really good tires, its not quite as bad. The car had cheap tires on it when i got it, and i hated them, then i put some Dunlop Z-Rated rubber on there, and it made a big difference. RWD would be the best, because i hate the fact that the AWD adds another 800lbs. But, love the one your with, its not too bad!

Brian
91 STealth ES

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I got the car, I had the Yokohama A022 or something like that. They sucked. Then I got Dunlop SP8000. They really sucked. Only lasted 4 months til they got bald! Then I got 18" Sumitomo. I liked them, but they would still spin.

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,610 Posts
My '94 Base is the same...torque steer is actually dangerous in some cases. Especially in heavy traffic. Here again I emphasize on the limited slip differential and the benefits FWD vehicles would gain from such. If some of these vendors would act as if they actually want to sell something.....and reply to my emails, I might get some info on the application (if any exists) for our cars. I'll keep trying.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So do all models (in particular the '97 SL) of the 3K comes with slip differential or does it only have it on the AWD?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is definately one of the worst things about our cars and I look forward to seeing how the a.w.d is when I get my vr4 but to be honest if I had my way even the vr4 would be just rear wheel drive just my 2 cents

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,610 Posts
dlong...all fwd models of the 3kgt have "open type" differentials, e.g. the r/frt wheel is the drive wheel. This is why it torque steers to the right so badly under hard acceleration.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
While the AWD of the VR-4 is obviously better, I quite enjoy my FWD R/T. But perhaps that's because I've driven it soooo many miles and feel I have truly mastered getting the most out of my car as far as performance and handling. If you know how the car reacts with regards to torque steer and know the break points of the tires' grip, then you can really churn some impressive performance out of these normally aspirated cars.

EricB

·
Registered
486 Posts
I agree with eric, that if you know how your car is going to react then it is much easier to drive. for example, it is pretty obvious that we shouldn't launch our cars at 5000rpm, because we will sit and spin all day. But at 2000-2500 rpm we get a pretty decent launch. Plus, like i said before, these cars are 900 lbs lighter depending on your variant, than the awd. Even if you don't "launch" your car at all, they still have more than enough power to smoke most poor suckers trying to race us. In closing I LOVE MY STEALTH!

Brian
91 STealth ES

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.