Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
** Posting this thread on behalf of lobo2112. Any questions, please post here, or send him a pm.**

Hey guys,
I have an appointment to speak with the engineering dept. at an ABS molding company this friday to see about getting reproductions of the 96 stealth "Super Banana" made. What I need from you guys is a ballpark range of prices you'd be willing to pay for a reproduction of it. The part would be ABS plastic, which I believe is the original construction material, and foam filled to assist with its structural integrity. It would be a duplicate of the orginial, made from an OEM 96 spoiler that I paid out the nose for.

I'm going to be asking them about doing a small run of 10 (unless there's an absolutely overwhelming response to this) but I want to go into the meeting KNOWING what prices you guys consider fair. Obviously these things aren't getting made if the cost of making them exceeds what you're willing to pay.

So post up, interest and $
please.

Again this is gauging interest only at this point

etc

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Alright, I have to ask...what's so special about the '96 spoiler?

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
250 w/o brake light. Does anyone know if the 91-95 brake light is the same as the 96?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
450$ for a 3 foot by 10 inch wing doesnt make sense. you can get whole hoods in fiverglass for 450..

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Here's the thing about comparing it to a fiberglass hood. Fiberglass hoods have thin cross sections. The spoiler is very thick in comparison. I've already sent pictures and talked to about 20 fiberglass companies. None of them will touch it, either due to its thickness or to its length, with the exception of one who wanted as much as I paid for the original, which by the way was one of those that cost $600.
:(
They all recommended trying an ABS molder, so thats where I'm at now. I'm not trying to convince you they're worth more than you're stating, just trying to keep some perspective on things. Compare the amount of glass, work and number of curves that go into say a cianci duckbill spoiler compared to a 96 banana and its 3 legs.

As for the light, I was under the impression they were the same. My car is in storage 3 hours from my current location but next time I'm there I'll pull the light from my 91 banana and verify that it will work with the 96.

Thanks for the honest input guys, keep it coming.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Here's the thing about comparing it to a fiberglass hood. Fiberglass hoods have thin cross sections. The spoiler is very thick in comparison. I've already sent pictures and talked to about 20 fiberglass companies. None of them will touch it, either due to its thickness or to its length
Then you aren't talking to good composite shops. They can wrap a foam core using only a few plys of fabric very easily. To really get into it there is material made to use as a core that will wash away with water leaving only 1 or 2 small holes to fill so it is all fiberglass. They could make it in 2 peices and bond together. There are many ways to do it.

I have no idea what this spoiler looks like so I don't know the complexity of the build but using size or shape as a limiting factor does not make any sense to me.

If someone could post up some detailed pictures and dimensions I could take a look and have a better idea. I don't have the tooling to make one myself but I could talk to a few poeple know.

·
Creator of weird stuff...
4,115 Posts
It would have to be less than the cost of an aftermarket 99 Combat wing ($450) cause if it where to come close to the $400-450 mark I would just go with the Combat wing.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
This picture is from Kookie026: Left is 96 wing, Right is 91-95

This picture is from RonStealth:

This picture is from OwnGTP/WantRTTT:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
yeah ntcmpjg, I think you snagged a couple of the ones I was trying for if I remember correctly :p

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
I was SOOOO close to snagging one off of a youtube member that was offroading his 96 stealth. He either caught on or died while driving like an ass.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
One more day people! Help me help you :p

So far the consensus seems to be right around the 250 - 300 mark...

But interest is a bit lower than I was expecting :/
With an interest of 5 ppl, 6 including myself I'll probably still ask about a run of 10. If the price is higher than the consensus range I'll try contacting Itchy to see if he can put me in touch with what ever fiberglass contacts he has... realistically I might do that regardless...

Let's add this question to the current one:
speaking from a strictly materials standpoint and ignoring any cost differences would you prefer a fiberglass replica over ABS ?

So price and interest for an ABS replica?
would you prefer fiberglass to the ABS?

Meeting with engineering is TOMORROW! let me know :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.