Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
THE MAN, THE AMERICAN
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came to me that the perfect gift for a family member this xmas would be a remote start for their new 03 GMC Envoy.

My question is this:
Anytime I look at remote start kits, they either come with an alarm (not needed in this case) or a cheap, klunky remote. I was paging around online and stumbled a rather poorly put together site that did have OEM style transmitters that had the extra button for a remote starter.

Can anyone refer me to a good brand or website that offers either: (a) remote start only, not security system (or both, just affordable), (b) quality transmitters that aren't huge and ugly, and/or (c) someplace that offers OEM style remotes for their packages?

I'm tempted to try and install something like this myself, but failing that, I wouldn't mind finding the right kit and all and bringing to a place for installation. The only thing that really scares me is all the extra GM specific parts (like the Passlock defeat, etc) that I would have to make sure and buy.

Any help is much appreciated,
-Rich

·
Registered
825 Posts
i have design tech. no alarm needed and i have it hooked to my factory. i am however usung thier transmitter, its not bulky, rather flat with 3 buttons on it. Or you can look at pepboys, curcuit city, or even walmart, they have remote starters

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Stick with a name brand like any made by Directed Electronics.

You'd probably want their keyless entry system with remote start option. That'd duplicate the factory's keyfob and add the starting capability. It can also control power windows and other things on the car (truck).

In a situation like this you're paying for the installation more than the parts. On a vehicle like that you want experienced installers putting in a quality product. Don't cut corners!

And, Directed <i>does</i> offer stock-style transmitters!

·
Registered
683 Posts
off the subject....a little

John M,
I have an HKS turbo timer (type 1) and was wondering if you knew how to go around the factory alarm so that it locks and ignores the fact that the car is still running.

Thanks!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Re: off the subject....a little

Been wondering about this for a longass time too!

ohsofast said:
John M,
I have an HKS turbo timer (type 1) and was wondering if you knew how to go around the factory alarm so that it locks and ignores the fact that the car is still running.

Thanks!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a friend who says if he had access to Service Manual (hint, hint....lol) for our cars, he could figure it out.

He has done it for his WRX.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a design tech on my car, it was there when I bought it. For christmas last year I thought it would be nice to get one for my sister's cavalier. I went with design tech, because mine hase worked very well. Installing that was a pain in the ass!!! I will never install electronics on a GM again. Also, I will never install a remote starter that doesn't include a real security bypass system. I had to rig a way around the passlock on the Cavalier (disabled the security).
It would definately be worth the money to have it professionally installed.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I know the general theory on how to accomplish that but I guess I won't know exactly how until I install the Viper with remote start that I've had sitting around the house for 2 years.

Maybe next month when I've got 3-4 weeks off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.