Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Carefully watched Jackhammer timing belt videos and that was how I was doing it.
Ran into trouble though with the 2000 year cars. The 4 spoke cam cogs hide the holes under the second cog.
Made a gadget to hold everything in place. Basically piece of flat steel, two sockets and two bolts.
Also welded two ring spanners together ( One is 14mm. helps alot )
The lugs on my 3SX hand wrench tool broke first time out so I welded 1/4" socket tool on the end.

oohnoo Crank tool and 3/4 bar and socket.

Long welded ring spanner gets the hard to get bolt on engine mount.

Screwdriver gets the clip holding the crank sensor wire so you can use it again.

See the 2nd sprocket covers both holes to put a bolt and washer in.

Gadgets holding the sprockets in place at top dead centre. You can get it exactly right by turning the socket with a 14mm spanner and lock it on the outside with a 13mm spanner. Gadget could fall off. I got around this with tape inside the 17mm socket so it is a tight fit over the bolt.

Old belt off.

New belt on. Paperclip on last sprocket is smaller. Easier to get on near brake reservoir.

Long ring spanner big help tightening power steering belt.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Nice work. You can also hold the cam gears in place using a long bolt and 2 big washers. Best to use a bilt with thread all the way down. Slide a washer down and hold it in place at the end with a nut. The wedge the washer into the gap between the cam gears. Then slide the other washer down till it is sitting inbetween the 2 gears. Tighten up with another nut. If you use 2 nuts. 1 on each side of the top washer you can lock it in the right place and never have to adjust it again.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Following only applies to gen3 TT GTO ( what we refer to as 99 TT )

Found " Number plate search ". At the moment two states, QLD and VIC let you search from Vin No's.
I plugged all 325 JDM gen3 TT GTO ( 99 TT ) vin numbers through both. Really interesting results.
Looks like Victoria has 5 registered Gen 3.
QLD has 18. This includes 6 of the 7, 2000 calender year TT GTO's I know of in Australia.
Also includes the first and last Gen3 Z16A GTO chassis. and last Z15A TT GTO .
Looks like most popular colour we have been importing into those two states is black. ( 8 of them )

Other states and territories not so easy to find out, but I reckon above figures back up my guesstimate that there are at least 50 gen3 TT in Australia.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Interesting stats John. So what we call Gen 3 is what overseas call Gen 4 as their Gen 3 is the hoop spoiler car ?

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Interesting stats John. So what we call Gen 3 is what overseas call Gen 4 as their Gen 3 is the hoop spoiler car ?

Knew I should have written Aug 98 to Aug 2000 GTO.

I'm a bit slow but for me basically me there are three.
Gen1 Active aero and non active aero, spoiler.
Gen2 Hoop spoiler.
Gen3 99 wing. ( Spose I'm stuck on TT, cos that leaves out the NA hoop spoilers which went right up to the last NA in August 2000.)

USA say 99VR4 and cover it nicely. Its a fact though that USDM 99's came off the line as early as June 98 while JDM started August 98. My guess this was to allow for shipping time to USA for a simultaneous release in both countries.
In the US my green car would be called a 99, I call it a 98 cos it came off the line in Sept 98. Confusing, huh.

J-Groove,- Thanks John.

Ernie,- Not staggered at all. Have said I thought at least 50 ( Aug 98 to Aug 2000 ) in Australia for a while.
Was good to find some evidence to back it up. Stats are fun.
Statistics wise, lets say 115 3000GT Aussie Delivered. How many have you seen ?
I have seen about 6. Chris, Pete, Luke, John, Ernie and 1 unidentified.
= 6 out of 115 total. 115 divided by 6 equals 19.
How many Gen1 and Gen2 JDM GTO's have I seen in person ?
I reckon roughly 18.
18 x a factor of 19 to give total using Same proportion as above = 342 Gen1 and 2 GTO's In Australia.
Plus about 50 August 98 to August 2000 = 392
Plus 115 OZ delivered = 507 Total.

Now, there's something to think about.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Two of our cars leaked oil at transmission selector shaft seal. One my own fault cos I tried a breather up on to the firewall, the other turns out was a faulty spring on the seal cut a small groove in the shaft. Both collected dust on top and got worse.
Can't figure why mitsubishi didn't have a dust boot for 6 speeds.
Anyhow rather than buy the whole shaft from Mitsubishi found,- 15 X 21 X 07 mm oil seals at Allied Bearings & Tools. ( OEM is 15 X 21 X 05 with a lip to 07mm )

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
If you want to pout a boot over it maybe look at buying one which you find on the steering rack? MB243859

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If you want to pout a boot over it maybe look at buying one which you find on the steering rack? MB243859
Not much clearance between the plate and selector arm.
Flat tight fitting PP washer with a lip down might be ok. Would only let dust in while in reverse gear.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Stumbled onto something interesting.
There could be way more Hybrid rear diffs than we think in JDM GTO's.
I was checking out a 97 GTO serial number which I know has a Hybrid diff. Option code is 151.
My Feb 99 MR has option code 154 also has a Hybrid diff.
Started looking and checking for Hybrid against Serial numbers in parts in Mitsubishi ASA.
Every August 98 to August 2000 JDM TT that has a " 5 " in the tens column of the option code comes up with a Hybrid diff. ( EG,Option code,- 154, 54, 51, 150, )

Of the 325 JDM TT GTO's from Aug 98 to Aug 2000, 49 show as having a hybrid diff.
At least 5 of those are in Australia.

Have not mined pre Aug 98 serial No's. Be interesting if its the same right through. ( Option code is on your firewall plate. If you have a "5" in the tens column of the code, then look for label on back of rear diff. B4H is hybrid diff with AWS, B3H on MR diff )
Just in case anyone who didn't come across one is wondering, Hybrid diff puts power to the wheel with the most grip. Search it, plenty of info out there.

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Todd's new 99 MR has a hybrid diff also.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Low km GTO, lower steering knuckle ball joint still good, but rubber boot is cracked.
Hope these pics help anyone else can't find the right SST in their town.

Old tyre lever and bits of scrap steel.

Ready to roll. ( Pete, note that shoelace SST again !! )

No worries once the ball joint is undone. New grease, new boot, job's right.

·
STALKER
1,440 Posts
Fark and for all these years I've been using a hammer... lol

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Worked this out for a mate looking into Gen3 ( 99 ) TT GTO.
Might save someone doing it all again cos it's a bit of a mission.
( From info, page 1 of this thread )

Breakup of 325 JDM TT GTO made from Aug 1998 to Aug 2000 far as I can work out is as follows.-

Galaxy White...( W75A )....88...... ( 37 Z16 & 51 Z15 )
Passion Red.....( R71A ).....84......( 33 Z16 & 51 Z15 )
Pyrenees Black.( X08A ).....79......( 35 Z16 & 44 Z15 )
Hamilton Silver..( A71A )....69......( 37 Z16 & 32 Z15 )
Timber Green....( G13A )......5......( 3 Z16 & 2 Z15 )

.........................Total = 325
Pretty sure that of these 325 TT GTO's, only 47 had leather interior.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Worked this out for a mate looking into Gen3 ( 99 ) TT GTO.
Might save someone doing it all again cos it's a bit of a mission.
( From info, page 1 of this thread )

Breakup of 325 JDM TT GTO made from Aug 1998 to Aug 2000 far as I can work out is as follows.-

Galaxy White...( W75A )....88...... ( 37 Z16 & 51 Z15 )
Passion Red.....( R71A ).....84......( 33 Z16 & 51 Z15 )
Pyrenees Black.( X08A ).....79......( 35 Z16 & 44 Z15 )
Hamilton Silver..( A71A )....69......( 37 Z16 & 32 Z15 )
Timber Green....( G13A )......5......( 3 Z16 & 2 Z15 )

.........................Total = 325
Pretty sure that of these 325 TT GTO's, only 47 had leather interior.
Great info John, I was wondering why there are no blue gen 3 around, now I know why!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts