Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· The dark shall be with us
8,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, forged carbon is as strong if not stronger than Aluminum and it's very rigid. I asked
Alexandros Tsikrikas To make us a forged end case cover that would be used as a brace to support the cast end case for the 6-speed from the outside. This would bolt over the factory end case and we'll use a very strong adhesive similar to the ones they use for CF driveshaft to bond the two pieces together. This will prevent the housing from cracking and would be a lot cheaper than a billet end case cover. We are looking to get them done for less than $1000. Who is interested in this?

· Registered
95 VR-4 Spyder
383 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing the difference between this and say just a cage bracket brace made of steel for the case. This looks nice, but when your just throwing it over the end, would it do more work then a cage? Especially for the price difference if these are 1000$ a pop.

I do a lot of work with Polypropylene and carbon fiber weaves, but I'm a bit inexperienced with forged carbon. Generally a safe number is to assume 30% more rigidity for the same thickness on carbon fiber(not weight) to aluminum, without it being one directional. Guess it's time to read up on forged carbon.

8,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be interested in knowing the difference between this and say just a cage bracket brace made of steel for the case. This looks nice, but when your just throwing it over the end, would it do more work then a cage? Especially for the price difference if these are 1000$ a pop.

I do a lot of work with Polypropylene and carbon fiber weaves, but I'm a bit inexperienced with forged carbon. Generally a safe number is to assume 30% more rigidity for the same thickness on carbon fiber(not weight) to aluminum, without it being one directional. Guess it's time to read up on forged carbon.
I don't think a cage would support the whole housing like a full-cover forged carbon. A cage wouldn't prevent the bearing from pocking through the housing. This would practically add thickness to the whole housing and make it thicker overall and since it's carbon fiber, It'll be much stronger than if it was just a cast piece with the same thickness. We don't know the overall price. He asked me how much I would pay for it and I said $1000. That's still half the price of the billet ones and you don't need to remove the end case.

8,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting concept. Just to clarify, that this part is for the 6 speed transmission, and not the transfer case. Correct?
Yes, it's for the 6 speed transmission end case.
This website compares their homemade forged carbon to aluminum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts