Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gauge cluster lights have gone off after installing a head unit I believe it worked right after I installed it but the next day it's not working I noticed that night when I had to leave at work and the dark that it was not working does anybody have any idea what it could be could it be a fuse or do you think it's something more difficult to deal with the head unit was installed perfectly let me know if you have any info on this I haven't searched for a fuse I looked at the manual and couldn't find where they said anything about a fuse for the gauge cluster lights any help would be nice thank you

·
Registered
369 Posts
I believe all the interior lights, including the gauge cluster, are on the same fuse. You can wait around for OhioSpyderman, our resident fuse expert, to confirm that though. Are you sure you wired the dimmer wire correctly to the new head unit? According to an old post I found (from OhioSpyderman none the less) the yellow/black is the dimmer wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I went by the diagram for it actually my neighbor did most of the work I'm pretty sure he got it right he pulled out the diagram on his phone there's no way I could read it and make any sense out of it at all used to be a mechanic he said that there's probably a short somewhere in the system but like I said before it was put in it worked he had what you call I believe a meter and it said it had a short in it somewhere which I figured was my oil sending unit since it is not working I don't know what to do maybe I should pull it out and look at it I'll wait for him and see if he and tell me what to do hopefully I can figure this out thanks for your input these 3000gts can be tricky.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Start with the basics...everything worked before the head unit was installed and only have issues after? That sounds like something was done during the installation.
One of the wires used during the install is for illumination (possibly orange). I'd start looking there for a short.
Check your fuses with a multi-meter, don't just eyeball them.
There should be a diagram of the fuse box with descriptions on the fuse box cover.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,149 Posts
You can wait around for OhioSpyderman, our resident fuse expert, to confirm that though.
Check your fuses with a multi-meter, don't just eyeball them.
I’m not OhioSpyderman but maybe a close second or third. Most of gauge, radio and etc. illumination is feed from taillight relay thru #2 dedicated fuse in relay box located under hood next to air filter. That fuse should be checked first.
Dedicated Fuses in relay box.JPG

Click on image to enlarge

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,711 Posts
Is there anything else that's not working?
Turn signals? Hazard lights?
Cruise control?

Bob.

EDIT: And by the way, Don (White93) is WAY better than I am...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turn signals hazard lights all that still work I'm going to go check that fuse underneath the hood and see if it was blown

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,149 Posts
Turn signals hazard lights all that still work I'm going to go check that fuse underneath the hood and see if it was blown
The #2 dedicated fuse doesn’t feed “Turn signals hazard lights” that’s a different circuit. But if #2 dedicated fuse isn’t blown and is getting power when parking lights are turned on, then that can’t be your problem.

·
13,711 Posts
My query about the turns and hazards was trying to see if it had something to do with fuse #11 under dash.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the new head unit?
If so, can you post it up?

Bob.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If the radio is illuminated normally I don't think it would be the "illumination" wire(orange?).

Billy 93 3000 get: When you try to turn on your dash light does the brightness on the radio dim at all, or does it stay the same? The "dimmer" wire for the radio is tied to the headlights switch so that when you turn on the headlights the dash backlight comes on and the radio dims to be not as bright for nighttime driving. I'd guess your neighbor either hooked that wire up wrong completely, or just left it hanging causing it to short and not illuminate any of the dash lights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At this point I'm starting to think that he just wired it wrong I'll post a diagram of it when I get home it's boss radio it you look it up it's illuminated blue it's a cheaper head unit easy to find online just in case you wanna look it up before I get home tonight

·
13,711 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '92 GT SL I bought new in '93, 107,000 miles which has been care for, but in the last few years my AC unit led went out so I sent it to the place 3SX.org advertises and they rebuilt the circuit board on the back of the unit, sent it back and I had it installed. Worked fine for 6 months the went out again. I have AC and Heat, but no lights, later the lights for the buttons on the left side of the unit went out. After that the light for the digital radio went out. The radio still works, but only if I feed with bluetooth from my cell phone. I get AM and FM signals, but it acts like the antenna isn't getting a good signal. I got a radio manual radio to replace the digital from a salvage yard to replace it, but I noticed there is a 15 amp fuse in the back of the radio..Now I wonder if that's the problem with the digital. All this is a work in progress, last night my dash light went out. The interior and the front and rear lights are fine. This happened a few months ago, but later the same night I tried and the dash lights went on. I have no electrical experience so I don't even know what questions to ask, but if anyone wants to comment I would welcome any input.

·
13,711 Posts
Unless the wiring of that unit differs immensely (which I'm pretty sure it does not), there are only 3 wires requiring connection to "power" the unit.
An "ACC" wire which needs connected to an OEM wire that supplys battery power when the key is in the ACC position (or future).
A "VCC" wire that requires a direct connection (through a fuse) to the battery.
A "GROUND".

The only other things that can complicate this is a power antenna and an amp (power wise).

I'm not exactly sure how you are where you are as it can not get any simpler....

Bob.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
first mistake would be, Make sure the black and yellow factory harness wire is not connected to anything it's a rheostat connection. green and yellow would be the radio lights

1 - 20 of 20 Posts