Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Nice mock-up so far but, why add the rubber stops? I thought people loved the "clink" of the gated shifter? They also add extra complication to the manufacturing process.

Also if I had to guess, Id bet it will have to be quite a bit thinner than shown because the shift shaft is at an angle when in 1-2 5-R gears not directly in line. And our shifters are pretty wide at the bottom where this is. Might require a custom shifter no matter what.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice mock-up so far but, why add the rubber stops? I thought people loved the "clink" of the gated shifter? They also add extra complication to the manufacturing process.

Also if I had to guess, Id bet it will have to be quite a bit thinner than shown because the shift shaft is at an angle when in 1-2 5-R gears not directly in line. And our shifters are pretty wide at the bottom where this is. Might require a custom shifter no matter what.
the bump stops are more to stop the shifter from rattling against the plate when in gear. I plan on them being more of an addon than a required part(they would still be sold with the plate), hence why they bolt in. if your shifter rattles, put the stops in, if it doesn't, then you don't have to. I'm thinking that if they're made of a soft enough rubber, they'll clink when they go into gear, but not rattle. not even sure if rattling will be an issue at this point though, so it may end up that they're not needed at all.

I got the shift pattern by cutting one out of cardboard until it fit properly and measuring it, so I think the pattern will work, but I'll find out once I start making prototypes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quick little update, just did some work to the design to see how using a separate top plate might work. so far this is what I came up with.

As you can see, it would be mounted using countersunk screws(allen) from the top, threading into the frame. I'm going to work with this some more, since I don't like having the screws visible, it was just the most simple way of mounting it.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
How long before you think you’ll have a 6 speed created ? Let me know and I’ll pay for it to be shipped up tested and returned if you like. I also can provide powder coating for all the shifter stubs that will be visible and chrome would look great !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
How long before you think you’ll have a 6 speed created ? Let me know and I’ll pay for it to be shipped up tested and returned if you like. I also can provide powder coating for all the shifter stubs that will be visible and chrome would look great !

once I have the 5spd pattern tested(just gonna cut the pattern out on a piece of sheet metal and check clearances), I can take a guess at the 6spd and ship you a sheet metal prototype to test. there are a couple dimensions I could use to get an idea of what needs to be changed though.

these are all the dimensions I need to get started on a 6spd proto. I'm expecting 1, 2, and 3(front/back throw, shifter width, and gate spacing) to be the same, but I'll still need them to be sure. the dimensions p273 and p274 are where I'm expecting to see a difference. they'll give me the side-to-side throw and the position of the pattern.

If you do wanna get these for me, I don't need very specific measurement, just to the millimeter would work fine.

I'm gonna be making the first 5spd sheet metal proto next weekend, but since my car is in the shop, I won't be able to fit it until I get my car back

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
At work now and will do this tonight for sure !

sweet! you can drop them in here or pm me, whichever you prefer

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Hey Sneaky I pm'd you

what is the reference we are using to start measuring from for p273 and p274 ? assuming the cut out for the normal shift boot.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
also this initial design is for the normal shifter and not the short shifter correct ?
sorry i didn't see this till now. this design is for the stock shifter atm.

I'm kinda putting this project on the back burner for now since my TT is having issues, but once that's all sorted out I'm gonna finally get a sheetmetal proto done.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I haven't gotten around to prototyping yet, but I have had some free time at work and was able to refine my math data to better reflect measurements I've taken.

after cadding up the automatic shifter garnish, I realized how horrendously far off I was on my design. had to redo the whole thing from scratch, but it's less work than making prototypes and realizing none of them fit even remotely lol.

the design currently consists of three parts: the base plate(blue), which contains the "frame" on which the other parts mount; the face plate(red); and the oem auto shifter garnish(green), which will mount the assembly to the center console.

some of you might notice that the shifter garnish clips the base plate in a few spots, this is intentional. the shifter garnish will need to be cut around the ares where it clips, and should help it stay a little more located than without. I'm exploring some different ways of mounting the garnish to the base plate, there's nothing on the model yet. I'm probably going to go with just some more allen screws

I'm not sure about the placement of the "arms" of the frame or the mounting for the face plate yet. with this design i put the arms on a radius from the end of the gates where they would be as short as possible and as close to 45* from center(so mounting screws are square to eachother), but as you can see, it makes it a little awkward to add screws for the face plate. I may change the arms or how the face plate mounts soon.

oh and also beauty shot of course

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thought I'd give an update.

finally found the time to work a little bit on making the sheet metal proto. the only problem I've had so far is finding the center of the shift pattern(where the shifter rests, out of gear more or less). I've tried a couple different ways of locating it, but the issue is that I don't have any datum to refrence between the shifter garnish and the plate. I tried just measuring the vertical and horizontal positioning, but since none of the sides are square, it's making it hard to get absolute horizontal/vertical measurements. then to make it even harder, theres no room to use a tool to make the measurements perpendicular to the side.

every time I measure it I'm getting a different center point by 10-15mm which is too much considering the shaft is 17mm.
my latest idea was to use fishing line around the garnish and mark a few tangents to the shaft. marking where the ends of the line are on on the garnish, then tranferring that to the plate, where I should be able to make and outline of the shaft and find the center a lot easier.
I'm gonna have to come up with some datum to recreate these measurements in CAD, which might require redoing the design again(not too hard tbh)

anyone got some input on this? i can post up pictures to better explain if needed

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Not quite sure if I follow what you are saying. To me it sounds like you are having trouble finding the center of the plate.

Why not make it in 2 parts to start with. Part 1 can be the outer ring and have a big open area in the middle. Part 2 can have the shifter pattern. Put part 1 on the center console. The shifter will stick up through the big hole no problems. Leave it in nuetral. Then slide part 2 over it. Wiggle it around on top of part 1 to where it fits right. Then mark it. Remove everything, clamp it together on your marks, then use that to design it as one piece.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not quite sure if I follow what you are saying. To me it sounds like you are having trouble finding the center of the plate.

Why not make it in 2 parts to start with. Part 1 can be the outer ring and have a big open area in the middle. Part 2 can have the shifter pattern. Put part 1 on the center console. The shifter will stick up through the big hole no problems. Leave it in nuetral. Then slide part 2 over it. Wiggle it around on top of part 1 to where it fits right. Then mark it. Remove everything, clamp it together on your marks, then use that to design it as one piece.
that's actually a pretty good idea, but yeah I'm having trouble finding the center. I'll try that out when I get home, and should have the completed prototype by the weekend if it works!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
well it's been a little longer than "this weekend" but I thought I'd give an update. havent really had the time or money to work on this project all too much, but I did get the 1st sheet metal proto done. I made a 1:1 print of the math data, and was going to use that to cut the shift pattern into the proto, but managed to lose it at some point. kinda messed up the proto, but gained some important measurements from trying to make it without the print. I now have the location for the center of the pattern, and some better refined spacing on the pattern. gonna be updating the CAD then I'll make a new sheet metal proto off that(not forgetting the print this time!)

transferring the new dimensions to the CAD might be a bit tricky as I didn't use a specific datum on the proto. instead I basically just drew up a bunch of outlines on paper and overlaid them. I'm thinking I'll make another print of the current CAD to overlay and find a usable reference datum. it'll prolly lead to some fitting issues down the line, but that's what prototyping is for!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
"this weekend" is still how I'm describing, when my car will be finished. I still haven't reinstalled my shifter on my 6 speed in case you'd like any further details from me. All the custom bodywork I have done has allowed me to realize that sometimes flying a helicopter is difficult, but learning and doing autobody stuff is difficult all the time.....
Let me know if you need anything and glad you're still committed to your idea !!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'd absolutely buy one of these if you're still making them!
This is a really old post, and I could be wrong, but I don't think he ever started creating these. I've had the old style on mine, but removed it to go back to a stock look. It looks something like this (only mine is a 5 spd)

I'm willing to sell it. It doesn't work with the stock shifter, but I have all of that (shifter and plate all polished up). I'll even throw in a chrome shift ball to match. If you're interested, if not, no big deal.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts