Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'd absolutely buy one of these if you're still making them!
This is a really old post, and I could be wrong, but I don't think he ever started creating these. I've had the old style on mine, but removed it to go back to a stock look. It looks something like this (only mine is a 5 spd)

I'm willing to sell it. It doesn't work with the stock shifter, but I have all of that (shifter and plate all polished up). I'll even throw in a chrome shift ball to match. If you're interested, if not, no big deal.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm interested. I'm new to manual, so I'd like to minimize potential catastrophic disasters as much as possible. What about it doesn't work with the stock shifter? Thanks for the reply
The stock shifter doesn't sit high enough to clear the plate. Plus the movement of the stock shifter doesn't play well with the plate. The gated shifter has a longer shift shaft to clear the plate, plus the changes to the connections to the shifter cables to accommodate the slightly different shift movement.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
im surprised to see anyone even found this thread considering how old it is lmao. but yeah i never actually had any finished, working prototypes. i've still got all the CAD files and all my notes, and am interested in seeing if i can make this work. although i have much less access to my tools, 3d printer, and most importantly my stealth so it would be quite a while before i can make any real progress.

if you dont mind me buggin ya, is there any chance i could get you to post some pics and maybe even measurements(namely shifter shaft dia, shift path width, and center-to-center of the shaft laterally between gears)?

the problem i ran into with mine was that if i wanted to have it flush with the stock shifter garnish, the lateral travel between gears would have been only slighter longer than the diameter of the shaft, so there would be no room for the "fingers" between gears. the math data that i came up with that would have actually worked was less of a gated shifter and more of just a close fitting shifter garnish and looked genuinely ugly as fuck.

if i were to make this work it would require a modified shifter asm(as hitman's does).

Height of the "fingers" is 3 1/4 in. Width is 2 in. I had this working in my car previously. I needed to loosen the shifter itself to allow for more play. But because it's gated, you didn't notice the "slop" you would get if you did that to a booted shifter. The what I feel would have been better for the gate, is if the "fingers" were at an angle, top to bottom. This would then be more inline with the shifter shaft itself.

Reactions: gawdzinner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.