Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been interest in one of these in the past, so I thought I'd share something I've been working on in my free time. A gated shifter plate! Granted, it's not gonna make your car a true gated shifter with actual gates and all that, but you can still pretend it is.

Currently, it's just a very rough model and only for the 5spd( since my car is a 5spd, 6spd will get made when I have a car to get measurements from), but once I have a good model and prototypes(and a manufacturer to make them) I plan on selling them on the forums, and they will hopefully be fairly cheap(not looking to make much of a profit here). this isnt a group buy thread or anything, just me sharing development on the part. if there's interest, I'll start up a group buy thread once I'm closer to production

onto the features of the part itself:
- CNC aluminum
- rubber "bump stops" to stop the shifter from rattling against the plate when in gear
- recessed gear lettering
- possibility of custom versions (text added on them, CF inserts/accents, etc)
- will mount directly to center console, or use stock shift boot clip to make it an easy install(not sure on this yet)​

view of the bump stops(little grey thing sticking out), although these will most likely look much different later on. currently they are removable(held in by a metal cap and a countersunk allen screw), so you can choose to take them out or put them in as you wish.

as of right now, I have no working prototypes, just a rough design based off measurements I took with a ruler. Next step is to make a sheet metal prototype to make sure the general design will work. It may take a few iterations of sheet metal prototypes to get a good fit. then I'll move to 3D printed prototypes(luckily I know a few people with 3D printers). once I finally have repeatable and well fitting results I'll have the first metal prototypes made, then followed by production.

I'm going to make a few of these regardless of interest here, but if you are interested, I'd love to get some feedback and insight on what you do or dont like about the design.

Reactions: rez604 and G_Stove

·
Cow man moo?
1,966 Posts
I do rmember these being offered back in the day, they make it look clean inside!

good job on the mock up, I llike your skillz.

keep the platform alive!!

·
Money pit owner.
2,850 Posts
I still want one!

I think I'd leave the gear numbers off, just a plain plate.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do rmember these being offered back in the day, they make it look clean inside!

good job on the mock up, I llike your skillz.

keep the platform alive!!
Thanks!

I still want one!

I think I'd leave the gear numbers off, just a plain plate.
I could do that. I just put them on there because I didn't like all the dead space lol

I would be interested in a 6spd.Is any one else getting a broken image? I can’t make out the pics.
I assume they're working for other people. I know they're working for me lol

on the point of the 6spd, I assume the outer dimensions( and the hole in the center console) are the same, so once I have a well fitting 5spd it shouldnt be too hard to make a 6spd one. does anyone know if the spacing (throw back/forth and side to side) is the same between the two? is it basically just the extra gate for reverse?

·
Supreme creator of stuff
3,573 Posts
I can offer the manufacturing portion. I am pretty sure I can keep your costs low. :)

I think you should put poly in the inserts, I can cut that as well as the little clamps. one thing to keep in mind though and I hope I can explain this.

change your corner rads to .100" this way I can get in there with a 3/16" end mill and wont have to worry about square corners. - make sense? you underside pic shows square corners.

we can make the prototypes out of plastic so its cheep.

But I hae a 6 speed so you are gonna need that s%%t to be done pretty quickly :)

·
Supreme creator of stuff
3,573 Posts
your 2nd pic is the view I am talking about.
also it looks like you will not have enough room for the threads due to the divots where the numbers go. so maybe move those to the sides and make it one plate rather than 6 or 7 little ones...it will be cheaper to make 2 plates...the 5 speed has a front and back that is the same..... then you have a 6 speed where it will have 2 different clamp plates.

love to work on this with ya

·
Always needing parts...
2,810 Posts
I'd be interested if it was anodized black personally. Hopefully someone can test one out if they can be produced and see how it feels with a shot shifter and without solid bushings. I have a feeling solid bushings might be a must.

·
Supreme creator of stuff
3,573 Posts
I'd be interested if it was anodized black personally. Hopefully someone can test one out if they can be produced and see how it feels with a shot shifter and without solid bushings. I have a feeling solid bushings might be a must.
then they must accompany the kit.... I don't see the bushings being more than a few more bucks to this kit.

...not hijacking - just adding input from a mfg perspective. (if I get the job) :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd be down for a 6 speed version and preferably in carbon fiber.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can offer the manufacturing portion. I am pretty sure I can keep your costs low. :)

I think you should put poly in the inserts, I can cut that as well as the little clamps. one thing to keep in mind though and I hope I can explain this.

change your corner rads to .100" this way I can get in there with a 3/16" end mill and wont have to worry about square corners. - make sense? you underside pic shows square corners.

we can make the prototypes out of plastic so its cheep.

But I hae a 6 speed so you are gonna need that s%%t to be done pretty quickly :)
your 2nd pic is the view I am talking about.
also it looks like you will not have enough room for the threads due to the divots where the numbers go. so maybe move those to the sides and make it one plate rather than 6 or 7 little ones...it will be cheaper to make 2 plates...the 5 speed has a front and back that is the same..... then you have a 6 speed where it will have 2 different clamp plates.

love to work on this with ya
then they must accompany the kit.... I don't see the bushings being more than a few more bucks to this kit.

...not hijacking - just adding input from a mfg perspective. (if I get the job) :)
I would love for you to do the manufacturing lol! having some reputable and knowledgeable on board, would be great.

I'll change out all the corners so they're actually realistic. as for the bump stops, I think I get what you're saying and I like it much better than what I've currently got. you're saying make it one plate that holds multiple of the bump stops? I can do that.

oooh, anodized black would look really nice. ill look into that.

I'll see how it works out with stock bushings, but I'm willing to bet it'll be 100x better with solid bushings. I've got a set of solid bushings sitting around rn so if it's needed, I can look to those for "guidance." they're a pretty simple part though, so I'd probably be able to include them for fairly cheap(not $40!). maybe even offer them separately too

I'd be down for a 6 speed version and preferably in carbon fiber.
I'll find someone local with a 6spd that I can take measurements off of.

well this is my last day at work for the year, and my computer at home doesn't like to run UG very well, so this project is probably gonna be put on hold(or at least slowed down a lot) till I'm back at work. in the mean time I've got some other ideas to dick around with.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I'd be interested in a 6 speed black shift gate......

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'd be interested in a 6 speed black shift gate......
I too would prefer CF.Even if it’s not true CF,hydro dip,wrapped or what ever.Any thing else would be better then Bare aluminum or SS.It just don’t complement the interior kind of plain and boring to me.
My original plan with CF was to have a separate version of the plate with aluminum only where it's structurally needed, then have the empty space covered by flat pieces of CF. I figured I could buy, or lay, flat sheets of CF and cut them to shape. I don't know if/how I could make a full CF one, but I can look into it if there's enough interest.

this is one of the earlier models I made for the CF idea. I'm gonna get back to this once I finish the 6spd full Al plate. the CF inserts would be in the gaps, mounted so theyre flush with the Al

I messed around with the design a bit today, mostly the bump stops and how they mount. changed them from being held in place with individual caps, to being held down by a longer "bar" on either end of the shift pattern.

similar to the cap design, the bar would be held by Allen screws. currently there are 3 for each bar, but once I have prototypes I'll see if I could get away with only using 2 just to cut the price by a blond one.
The bump stops are also now lower to hopefully make them a little less obvious. although they'll still stick out like a sore thumb against bare Al.
the bar itself is not a final design. it's currently VERY thin(2.5mm), in an attempt to reduce waste material.

here's a view of just the bump stops and the bar. the little pin is just to locate the bump stops so they don't just fall out

also did some renders with different materials and design features.

(EDIT: there was a pic here before but I accidentally overwrote it and cant remember what it was, whoops)

looks pretty good in black, really helps to hide the bumpstops.

·
Money pit owner.
2,850 Posts
thanks for the update!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’ll be fine with that design.The structure made out of aluminum and the top plate removable.That way we can do as we please,weather it’s hydro dipped,wrapped,or true CF.If you do make it where the top piece is removable that probably would be the best Idea since it will save you the process of offering different materials.I personally then would decide if I want to wrap it in leather,paint,plate,or just leave it.Let’s put it this way if you offer the top piece removable.I would take 1 and a few extra top pieces also get the top piece in CF that way I can switch things around when I get bored with it.Have a extra piece to customize it is a plus.so many things you can do with it.Engave it,air brush and so on.main structure will be universal if possible the top price can be configured to accept a five speed or six speed.Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ll be fine with that design.The structure made out of aluminum and the top plate removable.That way we can do as we please,weather it’s hydro dipped,wrapped,or true CF.If you do make it where the top piece is removable that probably would be the best Idea since it will save you the process of offering different materials.I personally then would decide if I want to wrap it in leather,paint,plate,or just leave it.Let’s put it this way if you offer the top piece removable.I would take 1 and a few extra top pieces also get the top piece in CF that way I can switch things around when I get bored with it.Have a extra piece to customize it is a plus.so many things you can do with it.Engave it,air brush and so on.main structure will be universal if possible the top price can be configured to accept a five speed or six speed.Just some food for thought.
I like that idea, but there are some ramifications on the manufacturing end that might end up with them being more expensive and poorer quality. more material would be needed to start with, and a lot more would be wasted and the parts would take longer to make. as of right now, the blanks would start out being 440cm³. the normal plate design (without inserts, removable top plate, removable shift pattern) ends up being 295cm³. the skeleton plate(one with inserts) comes in at 205cm³. 20% less material, but they'd both be cut from the same stock. If I made one that was able to be changed from 5spd to 6spd I'd need to make the shift pattern removeable, which means even more material would be wasted. then you also have the issue of needing, at the very least, one more part that's going to be fairly large(the top plate with the shift pattern in it). the biggest(imo) issue would be that with the more parts involved, the less they'll fit together well. tolerances will pile up and will end up making noticeable issues(gaps between parts, rattling, general chinzy feeling).

all in all, I don't think a truly universal design, with interchangeable shift pattern and top plates, will be a cost effective or helpful design. on the other hand, a design with just interchangeable top plates, but a frame that's either 5spd or 6spd would be more feasible. still more expensive than making it out of a single solid plate obviously.

I like the idea of having a removable top plate. it'd make it so I could crank out X amount frames beforehand, and when someone asks for a custom plate(ie without lettering) I wouldn't need to have a whole new plate made, just the top plate. I could even work it in so that it replaces the need for a bump stop cap/bar.

I'll definitely look into this, but the first few prototypes will be a solid plate to reduce room for errors while I'm still figuring this all out.

·
TIRED OF WAITING
794 Posts
Subbed, would want a 5 speed.

Clay

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so, I was stripping my NA of parts since it's headed off to the junkyard, and I think I found a solution for mounting the plate, and some useful dimensions. the 'A/T shifter garnish'(MB604637) as it says on the part is the auto counterpart to the shift boot clip. it's great because it's just a flat piece with the 4 tabs to hold it in place. which means it would be super easy just to drill some holes in and bolt it to the plate. I was also able to take some better measurements off it so now the CAD for the plate has a proper foot print which should fit perfectly in the center console.

the only downside is that the garnish is no longer made, so either I'd have to collect a bunch to sell with the plates, or people would have to go find their own. another option is to have modified versions 3D printed, but I'd be concerned about the rigidity of the tabs. most 3D printed stuff I've dealt with has felt very rigid, so I'd have to do some research on material to find one that wouldn't have the tabs snap off when put in.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts