Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
20,248 Posts
Oh and good job. :welcome:
i know kormex still has them:

kormex trans parts

them method works great, but 2 things may help some people.

1. You can just tie a ratchet strap around the shifter bracket and avoid removing it at all.
2. I always take 2 4 inch bolts with the same thread as the bellhousing bolts. Then you cut the heads off of them. Then hacksaw a small slit across them (for a flat blade screwdriver in case they get stuck). You then thread them into the engine and use them as guides. That way the weight of the trans is on the longer bolts and you are for sure not going to put any weight on the clutch splines while trying to mount it.

20,248 Posts
great method!

I did this using straps around the tranny case with the hoist, worked "pretty" well.. but took a while to get it in place as the straps don't keep the case at the right angle/rotation
yeah that's why you use the shifter arms and the trans damn near falls into place.

I think it took 10 minutes to seat my trans last time.

A good trick is to have someone sit on the ground and put there foot on the trans end case while you rotate the output shaft in small increments to lineup the clutch splines perfectly with the trans input shaft. It slides in with virtually no effort once you get the height right.

20,248 Posts
yes that is the part I'm talking about.

That crack would've caused some MAJOR issues!

I had the outer ring teeth stripped on my 2nd gear and it was the same as driving completely without a syncro.

20,248 Posts
i just rotated the output shaft on the trans while my wife held pressure against the trans and after wiggling the output shaft back and forth it found the right alignment and slid right in.

Easier to do than turn the crank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.