Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you realy have to replace the intake gasket if i change my plugs or will the old one do

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
because i want to do it right now and dont want to wait till tomorow will it hurt to reuse thw old one

·
Got snow?
409 Posts
Yes, the gasket has to be replaced any time the plenum is removed. The reason is that it is an embossed metal gasket and it is flattened when it is originally installed. Sealant is not required and isn't recommended.

Mike

As a side note, all you have to do is make sure the mating surfaces are clean and be sure to torque the bolts to spec and in the proper sequence.

[This message has been edited by R/TforME (edited January 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
653 Posts
While it certainly can't hurt to replace the gasket, I and many others on this board have reused the gasket without any problems. When I was ordering my plugs I asked two shops (Buschur and Extreme) and both said they usually reuse the gasket. Don't use any sealant!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mikes right, I didnt re-use my gasket (but I was careful when aligning it). I would prolly change it next time though. As a general rule, using gaskets with sealant SHOULD'NT be done - one or the other, but there are exceptions to the rule.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Anything that is under high pressure should be replaced. The intake parts are not (2 bars is nothing) ant therefore there is not a big need of replacing the intake gasket. Another issues woould be the exhaust gaskets that should be replaced to prevent a possible leak from heat and pressure !

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone for the pointers. I think I will try and reuse the gasket consedering its ony 5 months old . i will also ckeck to see if there is any variation in my boost guage i realy mant to re gap my plugs because wen i turned up the boost between 5000 and up power would drop off considerably only in first gear mybe this will cure that thanks. you know what i visit this place everyday i feel like i know all of you guys well thanks again drive safe

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone for the pointers. I think I will try and reuse the gasket consedering its ony 5 months old . i will also ckeck to see if there is any variation in my boost guage i realy mant to re gap my plugs because wen i turned up the boost between 5000 and up power would drop off considerably only in first gear mybe this will cure that thanks. you know what i visit this place everyday i feel like i know all of you guys well thanks again drive safe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.