Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1991 VR4, 10:1 compression, mildly ported heads, stock turbos, 3" downpipe, 98 SL flashable ECU
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating with myself about posting this for a while, but we need all the help we can get, so here goes... Maybe this will help explain why I have such a hard time coming up with the time and money to put into my VR4.

My youngest daughter (I have four!) has been a type 1 diabetic since she was 6 years old. She will be 15 in less than 2 weeks! For a type 1 diabetic, long term complications from high blood sugar can mean heart or kidney damage, loss of limbs, or loss of eyesight. Low blood sugars are of an even greater concern because they can happen fast and can lead to loss of consciousness or death. We are trying to get her a specially trained service dog that will let her know when her blood sugar is going low or getting too high. It will also be trained to wake her up in the middle of the night for the same. A constant fear with type 1 diabetics is having a low blood sugar in the middle of the night while sleeping. It is possible for people like my daughter, who no longer feel when their blood sugar is out of whack, to go low while sleeping and just never wake up - aka dead in bed syndrome. This dog will also be able to assist her in emergencies by bringing her supplies or getting the attention of someone to help. She will likely be going off to college in a few years and will no longer have her mother and I around to constantly nag her about checking her blood sugar, taking care of herself, and being there to help. A service dog will help.

Unfortunately, these dogs are very expensive due to the extensive training they require. We need to raise about $16,000 to be able to get one. Our local newspaper did an article on her conquest about a week and a half ago and it has been a huge boost to her fundraising efforts. We still have a long way to go however, so any donations you are able to make or suggestions for ways to raise money will be greatly appreciated. You can see her gofundme page at: www.gofundme.com/2j7ysjpj

Thank you all so much,
Lee

·
Registered
1991 VR4, 10:1 compression, mildly ported heads, stock turbos, 3" downpipe, 98 SL flashable ECU
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you J-Groove, it is greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have any advice on putting together a cruise in or car show type event as a fundraiser? I was thinking about trying to get something together, but then started getting scared thinking about potential liabilities and issues, trying to find a venue, permits, and so on. Is insurance required? Seems like a lot of work, could cost a lot of money and not necessarily generate much return? I'm not sure I'm up for it. We also live in a fairly small town, would probably be lucky to get 20 or 30 cars show up. The "big" annual shows around here usually get 100-150 cars. Do you think it's a viable option for a fundraising event?

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
What about just joining a car event that's already happening and do a raffle or just straight donation bucket at registration? Also, what about one of the churches? Maybe they could help put one on. The one we saw you at last year had a decent turn out and I think everyone is itching to get outside this time of year.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Thank you J-Groove, it is greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have any advice on putting together a cruise in or car show type event as a fundraiser? I was thinking about trying to get something together, but then started getting scared thinking about potential liabilities and issues, trying to find a venue, permits, and so on. Is insurance required? Seems like a lot of work, could cost a lot of money and not necessarily generate much return? I'm not sure I'm up for it. We also live in a fairly small town, would probably be lucky to get 20 or 30 cars show up. The "big" annual shows around here usually get 100-150 cars. Do you think it's a viable option for a fundraising event?
Couple things......

I have 2 small kids so this type stuff grabs at my heart. What a great dad you are to do this and post for help for your daughter. She is really lucky and should be very proud to have you in her life.

Second, I will make a donation to your thread as soon as im done typing.

Third, ive been showing cars for many years. I would be more than glad to help you with your event. I can round up some people to help. It is a tough thing to put together for sure. But I do have a few connections that may help.

I would post on internet sites, hand out flyers at events etc. But it can really be a letdown if you don't get the support your looking for. But don't give up.

You are in Indiana and near one of the stronger venues still going. Slamology. I think if you get in touch with them they will help out. Donnie Babb is the owner and promoter. He can help you. I know him pretty well.

Anyway I can help you let me know. My number is 937-422-8552

Aaron

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Sending anything helps guys. A little bit ends up a lot of bits! Your kicking ass man! Good job!

Engler had a good idea as well. Piggyback it with another event.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to post an update and thank you to all who helped. My daughter officially received her trained service dog last weekend. This dog is amazing! This experience has boosted my daughter's spirits so much! We could never have made this a reality for her without the help, sacrifices, and kindness from everyone who helped. I truly can't put my gratitude into words, but THANK YOU!

Here is a picture where you can just see the happiness in my daughters face:

Here is one where he has alerted her that her blood sugar was low and she checked with her meter. He does this by pawing at her. If she ignores him or isn't responsive, he will find someone else and paw at them and lead them to her. He was right, 47 is not good!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Very cool Lee! Good puppy!!

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,120 Posts
That is wonderful to see/hear! My mother fought type-ii for more than two decades, so I have personally witnessed the complications that can arise.

Out of curiosity, how old are service dogs typically? (dog lover/owner here!)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Thats amazing!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is wonderful to see/hear! My mother fought type-ii for more than two decades, so I have personally witnessed the complications that can arise.

Out of curiosity, how old are service dogs typically? (dog lover/owner here!)
Most service dogs are between 1-2 years old when placed with their handler, depending on the type of service the dog is trained for and the speed at which the dog learns. The company we went through starts training dogs at about 6 months and the training typically takes 6 to 8 months. Our dog is just over 14 months old.

17,279 Posts
wow, I wish I would've seen this last year. My brother has had type 1 since he was 9 and has had a kidney and pancreas transplant that later failed. He is back on the list. He also lost most of his eye sight from low sugar spells, so I have seen many complications from diabetes that if this dog can prevent, that's amazing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts