Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original skinny spare on my '91 VR4 went dead, no one wants to fix it or knows where to get a new one (have not checked with the dealership yet). I have an extra Eagle ZR (?) tire and am thinking of getting a 17' wheel to have a full-size spare. This would require a major rearrangment of the trunk though, severely cutting into the cargo space. In particular, the spare compartment cover will have to be redone. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Probably tons at the junkyards. Try M&S recycling, or any of the guys parting out wrecked cars. Trashing your trunk doesn't sound like a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited January 06, 2000).]

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
you could do it, but you would need to cut out an opening in that floorboard thing that covers up the spare wheel... I don't think its worth it.. how often do you get flats??

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

·
Registered
208 Posts
The single most important thing you can carry with you is a 12 VOLT TIRE INFLATOR!
I have gotten flats with the car on an incline & in a rain storm! Dangerous/a pain to change those flats. Most of the time, the tire can be inflated & you can drive some distance to reach a repair facility.
Someone at work said it's easy to change a spare tire (on flat ground) in good weather until he found that his wheel was stuck to the hub on his 97 honda & he could not get it off. I got out the trusty tire inflator & loaned it to him & he made it to pep boys.
Of course if the tire is all ripped up & with a big hole, then you need to change it.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had 5 (five) flats in the last year on 3 cars, including 2 on the newly bought VR4. I like to think about it as bad luck (honestly, only once it was my fault -- I hit a curb hard). Anyway, when I got a flat on the VR4, I quickly put the spare on (I had gotten quite good at it), and the next day went to a tire place. They ordered a tire for me which was supposed to be there in 3 days. In the meantime, I was driving on the spare. Needless to say, THAT spare is not for daily driving. It went flat too. With two days left until the ordered one arrives. It was leaking aroind the rim, so I was told. That is when I went and got that tire inflator. The spare's condition was quickly deteriorating, so I used the inflator (or stopped by gas stations) 20 times a day. It is not that I almost got dumped that time, but when my girl and I finished dining at a restaraunt, she ran and got in the car (it was freezing outside) and then we were supposed to go to movies. Instead I go "hold on, honey, let me take care of this," pull out the damn pump and the next 20 minutes we spend enjoing its sound. Man is that think loud and embarassing. We missed the movie too.

Also, I mostly drive at night, so I always had to wait until the next day to ORDER a tire (not even put it on). And an inflator is effective only if you realize there is a sudden pressure drop. If you drive with a flat tire for 1/4 mile, there is no way to fix it. And never in my experience have any of the fix-a-flat stuff worked (or patches, for that matter).

Sorry for a long post, but do you guys see what makes me think of a full-size spare? After all, isn't the view and feel of a VR4 with a spare on uglier that a hole in the trunk cover?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts