Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,122 Posts
Aluminum shards just about to break off at the cut sections (checked with a borescope). Also pretty sure it was not back purged from the looks of the penetrating welds.
Just FYI, you don't backpurge aluminum.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Just FYI, you don't backpurge aluminum.
Didn't know but didn't plan on welding aluminum anyway. Everything stainless steel or titanium tube says to back purge, I just assumed it transferred over to aluminum as well. However, the main issue was the shards about to break off.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
After plenty of time practicing and buying different pieces of equipment for fabrication, I finally worked up the nerve to pull the trigger on the actual materials.

Doesn't look like much but it feels like a big step for me, its downhill from here

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I had a bunch of different photos of different turbo manifold designs from this platform and others. But when the pen hit the paper (or metal in this case) it just kinda flowed out of me on its own without even referencing them. Pretty proud of this front one, the back one is going to be more difficult i believe.

·
Obsessive Carpolsive
2,065 Posts
Just read thru your entire thread..... jaw is still on the floor lol amazing work man!

·
One fix at a time
7,745 Posts
Just some tips that may help you out fabricating. You'll for sure end up dipping your tungsten quite a bit through the process of welding especially on a round pipe. Weld in small sections and inch or a little more at a time so you can keep the heat down and plenty of gas coverage. When you do dip your tungsten resharpen it every time. It is a pain but the product comes out much better. You'll have a cleaner weld, less contamination, better penetration, and a more tight focused arc with not a big(wide) of a heat affected zone.

Biggest thing for stainless is to not put as much heat into it if at all possible or it'll start turning dark salmon colored and gray when it is overheated. It'll still be function just not as ideal for prolonging crack propogation. Same thing with backpurging since it helps shield the backside of the weld from getting carbide precipitation. You basically let oxygen into the weld as it cools which causes it to bubble real bad. All those tiny bubbles will lead to cracks much sooner especially with the heat and cool cycles of a turbo setup. It's up to you what you do though. It's definitely an awesome learning process so just keep practicing.

You may not be as comfortable going at a faster speed dipping your tungsten but with stainless you definitely can't go as slow. If you're still getting the hang of dipping your rod, then just focus on welding very short bursts allowing the weld to cool inbetween. Heat is what will kill the weld the most. If you can keep up with dipping your rod at a quicker pace, then try running more amps. It will allow you to get in and out much quicker(less heat overall put into the material) because it will form a puddle quickly, melt the rod, and let you dip and go. There's a balance though.

I'm not sure which helmet you are using but I will say if you can afford it definitely spring for one of the more expensive ones in the $300+ range. See if you can try one out. The autodarkening lenses are good but until you get into the higher range the clarity is just not there. The more expensive ones seem like you are wearing sunglasses vs a dark greenish tinted auto darkening welding glass and it makes it harder to see as much detail when welding. Your consistency will improve greatly with practice if you can see well so that may be something to consider if you plan to do more welding than just your car or fab up some things for customers. I run the 3M Speedglas 9100XXi and love it. I wish I would have made it my first purchase despite the $400 price tag, but it has been worth every penny.

Just keep practicing since it's a learned art. There's only so much you can learn from videos and reading. You just need some seat time for things to click and make sense.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Front manifold is completely finished, rear is welded on one cylidner, tacked on the other two because i ran out of argon. Some of the welds on the front manifold arent Instagram professional level, but talking with turbosincebirth helped out plenty and my welds improved at the end of welding that manifold and progressively getting better. If they crack (and i assume the front one would before the rear due to the learning curve - the same reason I chose to start on the front), it will be easy to replicate.

I should be finished with this rear one Tuesday-Wednesday then I can start on the crossover and hopefully have that completed by the weekend.

I ordered oval piping for the downpipe since my original idea to cut the firewall is not going to work with the manifold design. Sucks I cut a hole for no reason.

Anyway, on to the pictures, which are my favorite part. I love the way they are turning out.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Since the last post, I had to bring the car home due to construction starting on our building. Since I will now have to work on it out of a cluttered garage, I built a small storage shed to move some things out to give me room. I scored this hood (old 3sx viper? It does not have the side heat vents like a cianci/c7 hood) but it looks like I will still have to modify it to clear the intake. I should be able to start welding again shortly.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Back from the dead.

Just finished piecing together the crossover and tack welding it together.

Have to exchange my argon bottle and then I'll be able to finsh and start on the downpipe.

·
One fix at a time
7,745 Posts
You already got those IPS polished coolant pipes in place I see. I don’t think I was going to use them for quite awhile. I can fan something up at least. Everything is turning out really great!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Yep, i didnt have anything else to put on for mock up. The bottom one is still wrapped up, the top is the one i already had that has some scratches in it.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,122 Posts
Love how the engine bay looks with an intake like that

161 - 177 of 177 Posts