Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whenever something breaks, I suppose I decide that I need to fix it. In this case I'm fixing stuff that probably isn't broken.

My engine smokes sometimes in a manner that could either be turbos or valve stem seals. So, I've decided that this is a good time for me to upgrade the turbos. Well, my car is completely stock, so this is, of course, requiring some more upgrades. I already have the FMIC, pre-cat eliminators, and 3" downpipe attached to a stock cat-back. So, planned upgrades:

- Walbro 255 lph pump (got)
- Hardwire kit (got)
- Bigger injectors (got)
- S-AFC (ordered - should be here Saturday)
- 9Bs upgraded to 15Gs (hopefully ordering soon)
- HKS SSQV (haven't ordered yet)
- Remove the stock cat-back in favor of something custom (probably a Magnaflow setup)

Two questions:

1) How do people recommend installing the S-AFC? I have seen a few harnesses you can buy that look like they go in between the ECU and wiring harness, making the whole thing simple and not require splicing. This is appealing to me.

2) Is there anything that I'm missing on here that I need?

I'll work on the project as time allows. Right now after taking care of some maintenance it's in pretty good shape. I'd like to get the fuel system and supporting upgrades in and functional prior to the turbos.

I figure that if that doesn't fix the smoking, then I'll do the valve seals. I know that'd be cheaper and less work than all of this, but this is more fun. :D

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
First to run that BOV you are either run it to recirculate or run a MAFT to run blow throw

Second to pay a shop to do VSS it gonna be around $700+

Other than that you well on your way to having a fun car

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've got the S-AFC, injectors, fuel pump, and hardwire kit now. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm going to have time to get started working on this stuff today. More likely closer to Thanksgiving I'll get it all done. One of these days... :)

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And now turbos should be arriving sometime next week, and I'll have a bunch of parts waiting to get put on. Looking forward to putting wrenches to the car. :)

Of course, the real question is after all of this is done whether or not it will actually fix the problem.

Does anyone have suggestions for some little "while I'm there" items to conisder? I figured I'd be pulling off the top manifold for the injectors at least, and should probably include a new gasket there, and new spark plugs. I'm thinking about new wires as well. The wires on there now are low mile, but stock. Thoughts? The new turbos are 9Bs rebuilt as 15Gs and I plan on running around 15 psi to start.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, it looks like this weekend may be when the turbos go in. They're arriving on Friday. My goal is to get them installed by Saturday night. We'll see how many things go wrong and prevent this from happening. :)

Due to time limitations and the fact that the car needs to be running by weekend's end, I'm intending on limiting the scope of work.

I recently (a few months ago) put on new pre-cat/downpipe, so hopefully that should come apart easily enough. Also did the FMIC, so I expect the related parts to come apart well enough.

Any "gotchas" I should be looking out for? I understand that the rear turbo is the real pain to do.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the turbos didn't arrive in time for work this weekend as planned, so I did the smarter thing and worked on the supporting upgrades instead. Got the HKS SSQV, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro fuel pump, and fuel pump hotwire kit installed. Just the SSQV makes the car drive a lot better. The stock bypass valve was clearly in bad shape. Boost builds quicker now, and the shifts and throttle changes are much smoother with the SSQV. A very worthwhile upgrade.

I installed the SSQV in pretty much the same location as stock. It's not a recirculate, so I plugged the hole that the stock one plugged into after the AFM, and then welded the SSQV bung onto a couple inch piece of pipe which I then put into the stock BOV hose. All worked like a charm.

There's also no doubt that the hardwire kit makes a big difference. After I installed the Walbro fuel pump I started the car just to make sure it was working properly. Then after completing the hardwire kit the fuel pump was significantly louder. A good sum of extra voltage there!

Didn't get the injectors installed as I figured that I wanted to take off the top intake when I did the turbos, and there was no point in doing that twice given what a pain it is. So, now I have to find a weekend to do the turbos and fuel injectors.

I'm also going to need to invest in a boost controller. I'm going to look for an AVC-R since it will match the S-AFC.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After dealing with the issues that turned out to be a bad SSQV, I now have an SSQV3 installed and working perfectly. K&N FIPK also installed, which I mainly decided to do because of the fact that the factory airbox is such a pain to work with.

AVC-R and 15Gs are here and waiting to get installed, most likely after the new year.

A new problem has developed on the car. At full throttle in the 4000-5000 RPM range (although that range has been expanding) the car will randomly miss. While driving tonight and noticing it, when it got hard my headlights (HIDs) would flicker like a low voltage issue. This makes me wonder if it is a low voltage problem. Any ideas for what to look for on this?

·
BC3S
737 Posts
the miss is most likely spark blow out. check your plugs and their gap. i would recommend ngk coppers @ .035 to start with.

to add to the list, you will need an upgraded pressure plate. the stock one will not hold the power of 15g's. also a nice wideband to tune with.

while your doing the turbos, take a look over your front and rear motor mounts. thats all i can think of for now.

edit: also, most important thing of all please get a datalogging package so you can monitor everything. biggest being detonation while turning your boost up.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was planning on changing the spark plugs and wires when I did the turbo upgrade, since I'll also be putting in 550s and will have the top intake off. I'll go with that suggestion.

The clutch on the car was replaced recently by the previous owner. Given the amount of work to pull the transmission and the fact that it's not perfect, I'll probably drive the car for a bit as-is, and maybe next winter pull the transmission. I have a feeling if I pull the transmission, though, I'll also pull the engine and just rebuild them both. ;)

At least one of the motor mounts is new, I'll make sure to check the others when I have the car apart. I'm planning on doing the turbos, valve stem seals, plugs/wires, and timing belt all at once. That won't happen until my job lets me move back to my house, though, so for now I'm just doing the supporting upgrades that I can do while I'm home on the occasional weekend.

Thanks for the response!

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've finally been allowed to live at my house again. The VR4 got some studded snow tires a few months ago, which has been tons of fun in the winter. Now it's getting time to start on the fun stuff.

Last weekend was spent mostly focusing on the motorcycles, but I did get the AVC-R installed in the car. Driving around last night, it looks like I'm getting about 0.7 kg/cm^2 of boost peak, seems about right for stock. I wanted to get the unit installed (although not functioning) with the stock setup to make sure that it worked right and get any bugs out.

Only complaint: I wish the units could be changed km/h and kg/cm^2 aren't as useful to me.

Right now the goal is getting the motorcycles together for the season (which has mostly involved some work on the RC51 and Triumph Daytona 675) before getting deep into the VR4. Most of the work is done on there, so in a few weeks it'll be time to tear the turbos off and go to town. :)

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, last night I jacked the car up and took wrenches to metal. The goal for this round of maintenance:

-IPS 120k kit
-Complete new seals on the top end (except for the head gaskets)
-Valve seals
-New radiator
-15Gs
-550cc injectors
-NGK Iridium plugs
-MSD wires
-SSQV3 on recirculation

I was pretty surprised with how quickly the work went. Of course, I somewhat cheated by going for all the east bits first. :)

IMG00106-20110510-2006.jpg

Last night I pulled the top intake, radiator, FMIC piping, timing belt covers, downpipe, and started with the various bits about pulling the turbos. Next I'd like to get the turbos pulled and do a compression check on the engine (and probably start pulling the valve covers and associated related bits). Ultimately I'll need to have everything pretty well torn down. I'll do a compression check now to see if the engine is healthy or if it needs rings, in which case it's just going to get pulled entirely.

The goal (assuming no engine rebuild) is to have this done within the next 3 weeks. Should be doable, although I'm going to be gone over the weekends so I'll only have my evenings after work.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Four months later, I'm now finally getting to the point where I think I might have a car that I can drive again. Things like getting married get in the way of working on the car. :)

The heads weren't coming off the car, I basically ended up only tearing it down enough to do the valve seals. My thought process is that if I have to tear down the engine that far, then I'm just going to do a full on rebuild. The car has 145k on it, good compressions on all cylinders, and didn't have any leaks. The only issue was that it was smoking (valve seals/turbos), and was in need of its 120k service. I bought it at 140k, and the timing belt had been done at 85k.

The valve seals were done, which were made much easier with the BluePoint tool. That said, the ones on the back can still be difficult. The best advice I can give on these is that if the keepers don't snap into place the first time you push the tool down, you might as well start over. I found that they either went on the first time I pushed the tool down, or else it would only screw it up further if I kept trying.

Most of the work is relatively straightforward with a factory service manual, which fortunately the car came with. Being this is my first time delving into the VR4, it amazes me how many bolts Mitsubishi deemed a requirement on this car.

This week I finally got some good time to work on the car more. New oil pump installed (really not too bad, the bad part is taking everything else apart to get to it). The cams went in, gears on, timing belt installed. Timing covers installed, AC compressor and alternator are back on. And the front turbo is on! I need to make a parts run for a few more things, and then the rear turbo and its downpipe can go on.

While at it, I need to hook up the AVC-R's solenoid (never did that, just plugged it in) and several other details. But, it's looking more and more like something that will actually take to the road again! :)

Pictures attached...

Attachments

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I'm getting to the point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and hopefully it's not an oncoming train!

With the turbos and oil pan back on, I then went ahead and got the transfer case installed, and have basically been working little by little outwards, now getting to the point where I remember just how cramped this engine bay really is with everything installed in it.

Putting things together has been straightforward, just a bit slow as I've been taking my time and have corrected a couple of minor issues here and there. But as of now, the only things I have left to do are a few bolts for the rear turbo's oil line, the EGR pipe, the power steering belt (was missing a bolt for the tensioner so the belt's in place but not on), some intercooler piping, and the downpipe.

The only issue I'm having is that the location of the towers on the Mishimoto radiator up top are about 1/2" too far back, so I'm going to have to make new brackets for it. Fortunately the lower ones are in the exact right location, which is more important.

Barring some major issue that prevents me from doing any more wrenching tonight, the car will start tomorrow. I'm hoping to get the rest of the bits done tonight so tomorrow morning I can give it one more look-over and turn the key. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Of course, then it goes to the exhaust shop for some work. And I have some other items to work on with it. But to actually have it running and driving will be a wonderful thing after being without it for the past four months.

·
Meglomaniac
1,443 Posts

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apex'i SAFC Plug and Play Harnesses

Go here to get the harness. Splicing into your factory harness sucks...
Thanks, would've done that - except it's already been spliced.

Last night I finished up getting the IC piping, donwpipe, and a couple other details on. This morning I need to make the brackets for the radiator, put the driver's side front wheel on, and change the fuel filter, then I'll be ready to turn the key. :)

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Funny as it seems, after 4 years on bigger turbos I rebuilt my 9b`s and put them back in!.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, after getting the car back together post-oil pump leak, I've now put about 120 miles on it. I'm running it at 6 psi right now to be conservative on the new turbos, and I'll likely get the new exhaust done prior to turning it up past 10 psi (after I get the new sensor for the AVC-R).

The car drives excellent, better than before. Now that I've put a few miles on it, the smoke (which I think was mostly just oil and grease baked on) has stopped. No smoke at idle at all. Smoother than before, idles better, no spark plug blowout.

But now I'm ready to put some real gauges in for monitoring the engine. I know, wrong order, but now I'm ready. So that will be the next project, in-line with getting the exhaust done.

The 15Gs spool up faster than I expected, and the car definitely makes more power - although right now at the stock boost level it's not as noticeable. However when the boost controller wasn't working right on the first test drive, I'm sure it overboosted significantly, and was making no shortage of power. So, the setup is definitely plenty capable. It'll just be a matter of tuning it in. No turbo surge, and having the BOV on recirculate definitely makes for a nicer driving experience.

Can't wait to start putting the miles on. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts