Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, everyone knows 3000GTs have a fuel shutoff system at 7500 RPM. I've heard these cars can handle 8-9000RPMs just fine. Is there a way to take the system off, and could running your car that high damage it in anyway? (as long as you don't go crazy with it all the time.....just for those special races)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I can't imagine it being safe to run 8-9k rpm on the stock valve train. That sounds insane.

.jon

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno, it was just a thought. What kind of stuff would you need to replace to be able to run that high safely?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Basically you need an entire valve train rebuild to run over 8000. You also need a cam and turbo combo that will continue to produce power at that level.

Alot of people don't understand the dynamics behind turbo charging. With out the right trim combonation a turbine will continue to produce psi but it will forcing hot unbalanced air into your engine. So your gauge tells you one thing. But your engine is actually receiving somthin else. That is why it's essential to use a EGT gauge and knock sensor during all high end tune jobs.

Your bottom end will also need to be beefed up. I'm sure your rods and wrist pins will only handle so much brute force. Not to mention the strain on your crank and main bearings.

Your pistons themselves might actually be able to handle it assuming your keeping the combustion charge cool enough. I don't reccomend a sh!t load of boost at high rpms unless all of the above has been considered. But my suggestions are on the safe side of things. I've blown a few of my own engines taking parts to there extreme's.

WD

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please note I'm in a N/A (looks at sig)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Matt Monett at Dynamic racing seems to do rather well with an 8000 rpm launch --- he hasn't blown it up yet. Below is an excerpt from their web site to describe his Stealth. [ 11.00 @128 mph ]

DYNAMIC RACING DR650 TURBOS, ACR2 W/BIG MAS, 720CC INJECTORS, DENSO FUEL PUMP W/HOT WIRE KIT, KEN BELL BOOST A PUMP, KEN BELL BOOST A SPARK, MAGNECOR WIRES, GFORCE ECU REV LIMITER SET TO 8300RPM, UNORTHODOX UNDERDRIVE PULLEY, UNORTHODOX CAM GEARS, RPS STAGE 3 CLUTCH, FIDANZA ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL, ATR DOWNPIPE, ATR CAT-BACK EXHAUST, GREDDY 60MM EGT GAUGE, GREDDY 60MM BOOST GAUGE, GREDDY TYPE-S BOV, STOCK MOTOR, STOCK INTERCOOLERS, STOCK CAMS, DAILY DRIVEN!

Jim Berry

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn, daily driven. I wish I had a daily driven 11 sec car. I don't think my base 3000GT will ever see the day of even a 12 or 13 sec, unless I poor madd junk into it. It'd be nice though. ALthought I do have a question. This is just a theory.......what happens when you get soooo much HP you can't help but to burn tires all the time when racing? Like, burning 2nd gear too. Would it be possible to use an AWD system off a VR-4? Just a theory, nothing I will ever see in my car, heh.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A front wheel drive car would of course be a disadvantage, although some of the import drag boys are turning 9's with front wheel drive.

They run drag slicks on the front with 5psi and rear traction bars that stick out 10' past the rear bumper.

Installing a VR4 tranny and suspension in a N/A is what you're talking about ---- could it be done ??? sure, just bring money, lots and lots of money :D

Jim berry

·
Registered
856 Posts
...on the stock valve train? that sounds crazy - maybe matt will drop in and explain.

.jon

·
og
4,293 Posts
fwd to awd is not a realistic project. it has been discussed time and again and there are so many differences that need to be taken into account that the estimated cost is over $20k. the best bet for fwd traction is a limited slip differential and (at the track) drag slicks, that's about it. i have wheel spin issues now if i get on it, even in 2nd... i'm going to have to put a lsd in shortly after the supercharger.

regarding running your engine up into the 8k-9k range... have you ever dynoed your car or do you have the window sticker from when the car was purchased? both of these will tell you that max power and max torque are reached at less than 6k rpms; without a SIGNIFICANT engine rebuild you will lose power that high (remember naturally aspirated) if you could even do it without endangering your car. take a look at the torque/hp curve and then see what your shift points are, you can achieve quite a bit just by shifting properly. well hope this helps, safe travels.

- mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts