Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a page outlining the wiring changes you can make to maintain 12v to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There was something on it a short while back. I don't remember who posted it but you could run a search.

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
Glad I saw this post because I went an did it in about 30 minutes. I hate posting the "ass-dyno figures", but that is all I have. It felt a bit quicker, but I am not sure if it was in my head. I would suggest doing it just because it is easy and free.

·
Registered
214 Posts
yeah, I did it a while ago as well. Took the car out for a spin before I did it, then took it out again afterwards. Definately felt perkier, and I had someone in the car with me, and they noticed it as well :)

·
High Boozemaster
1,600 Posts
once i get my clutch & flywheel in i am gonna try this. i turned my boost up to 14 PSI & it was knocking so i turned it down. MAYBE this will provide a suffiecient amount of fuel, so it won't knock, at least until i get injectors/fuel pump/AFC

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I just did this bout 10min ago... :D thanks for the post!

Always heard of it but never knew it was this easy... havent took the car out for a spin yet...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Does anyone know if this will work on an NA? It seems like my car starves for fuel. I notice that the car has more power when the tank is above 1/2 full . My theory is the if the voltage is low the current draw is higher and this produces extra heat . With a fuel tank the pump is cooled by the gas.

Perry

V

·
0 Posts
edge said:
Does anyone know if this will work on an NA?

As far as I know,N/A doesn't have this kind of relay. Don't quote
me on that though.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The damn thing is only in *every* post I make. Nobody noticed all the sigs with "John M fuel pump mod" in them? Nobody noticed the nifty underline in my sig? I'm feeling unloved :)

My site (the original) is pic-less, but between it and M pro's you won't go wrong. Eventually I'll make a combination of the two pages.

alanjh -

Why in the world did you do it and then remove it? You said yourself it felt better!!! It's been hashed to death on the board too that it does not negatively affect your fuel pump in any way under any circumstances.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I love you man :) (check out my sig :) )

·
Registered
214 Posts
John M said:
alanjh -

Why in the world did you do it and then remove it? You said yourself it felt better!!! It's been hashed to death on the board too that it does not negatively affect your fuel pump in any way under any circumstances.

I didnt remove it, Its just not listed in my Mods list. :)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
See, that's what I get for reading the board after midnight. You said you took the <i><b>car</b></i> out for a spin ... I just saw "took it out". Duhh!

:D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks John. knew id' seen it somewhere on a sig. would it be easier to just wire across the resistor???

If your interested, I did a voltage test to see what the voltages were at the resister itself. It switched between 8.3v and 12.3v. the resistor was withing spec at about 9ohms. Interesting thing was the relay would switch up to heavy load pretty easy.

The downside to this is stock wiring is too thin and can't hold the voltage to the pump. Th full blown setup with a relay at the pump and good wires sounds much better. If I get a chance I'll check the voltage at the pump and post it.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Where we are connecting the jumper completely bypasses the resistor pack. It just removes it from the equation altogether.

It is true that a full, larger-gauge, pump rewire is best but this is a quick method to see if you're having voltage problems to begin with. In some cases the voltage through the factory setup is very low thanks to oxidation and other wear on the relay contacts.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I guess I should have said that the wires on the resistor are the easiest to reach and though there's still extra wire in the system it is the easiest way to make the short, not the best.

·
Id sell my soul for a Mac
514 Posts
What size wire should I use to do this?

·
Id sell my soul for a Mac
514 Posts
Ok, I did the mod, and now my idle speed is 100-200rpm lower then before.
Should this mod effect my idle speed?
What is the speed supposed to be at?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The relay and resistor pack are next to each other. If you have a K&N the mod takes less than a minute. If you've got a stock intake, count on about 5 minutes. Either way it's the easiest mod you can do to these cars.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well, the 25HP "Type R" Sticker mod takes about 15 seconds :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts