Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know my 92 has the hot hard starting after sitting for a while. I am in the fuel percolation camp. I've seen this before on my race car where, to combat it, the fuel pump was powered via the dash switch bank and at hot shutdown, the pump shut off and allowed the system to starve. The alternative was using a dry ice cooler for the fuel and intake but that was for HP gains more than anything.

The question is - and according to Torque and my datalogging - the fuel pump/relay on the Stealth doesn't actually have a pressure sensor (at least Torque reports it as 0) that the ecu reads. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case?

If so, I will submit my car as the test case for this method and see if it works.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,114 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there, so take it as you wish.
A lot of us suffer will Hot Start issues, and the most common cause that I've found is leaking injectors.
After the car is shut off, as the pressure bleeds down in the fuel line, a leaking injector will drip fuel into the cylinder, creating that issue where sometime the only way to get the car to start, or even keep it running, is to feather the accelerator until all that unburnt fuel is gone.

Rather than spending the time on installing a switch and turning the fuel pump off early (which may have the same effect), why not send your injectors out for cleaning and balancing?

Just my .02

Bob.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now we're getting somewhere! My dakota has had this issue for years. Cold: key on and off 4 times to pressurize the system. Sits more than 10 minutes, cold or hot, same thing. #1 injector leaks. All the time not just when hot.

So we're talking about a heat related injector issue where the heat sink effect on the injectors causes a system leakdown. So the same technique I've used since 2010 should work: key on and off a few times without starting.

I assume that new injectors fix the issue?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,114 Posts
I'm not claiming to have THE fix, just saying that some of those problems are related to old/leaking injectors.
Not saying that NEW is the answer, cleaning and balancing might work, depending on their age.
I have bought some injectors over the years, for backups, because my originals failed. When they FAIL, they fail, like drop that cylinder fail. Not pretty.

Still have several backups, knowing these things are 20+ yrs old, will probably send the whole lot out for a refresh...

Bob.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So a primer SPST switch should work, if I were to apply this fix. Now I need the schematics and see it will work. If not an option of master disconnect and a SPST switch would do the trick.

Unfortunately the fuel pump on these cars doesnt prime with just the key on. The engine has to be cranking before the fuel pump comes on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts