Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,323 Posts
Technically, once you enter open-loop (WOT in this case), the trims are disregarded...

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ah. Well. I don’t know what’s wrong with it then. I was expecting 12s lol. I’m wondering if my arc2 is bad. My settings match no one else’s and it wouldn’t even run the car with 660s and stock maf.

non Billit dr650s should do better then 14s even with a bad driver right? If I’m hitting 19.4 psi the turbos are doing their job. But it’s just not running right at all up top

I have a new ford maf I could try. Maybe something is up with it? I also have a gm maf so I could try switching to a maft from the arc 2.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
Launch aside, the trap speeds dont make sense for your boost/power level. What AFRs were you at, at WOT during the pull? Was it breaking up?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Seriously...I’m still recouping from the mind fuck of this failure. I don’t even want to give out advice about these cars anymore I feel like that much of a failure.

It was doing everything but running right. I wish I could explain it im not sure if it was breaking up or what. It just wasn’t running right at all, almost like it wouldn’t rev quick enough? On the way home I made a few highway pulls in 4th and it ran great with zero knock. Something with WOT is messing with it. And it makes no sense to run 14.2 at 105mph at 19.3 psi. I’ve been talking to @TurboSinceBirth and if what we/he came up with is what’s up I’ll probably give him some money or a free arc2 for his time and input.

Basically my arc2 settings have never made sense compared to others. Leaning towards it possibly being faulty or the wrong version or “something” which is possibly why the guy I bought my car from ripped everything out and returned it to stock when he bought it.

Also what’s worse is I got a guy at work with a 10 second big block mustang in my ear saying “ see I told you no one runs 12s in stealth’s except on the internet” lol. I’m like no man, they run, mine is just fucked. It was a rough night. 3 street cars broke, a crotch rocket went down on the big end. My first run was straight into the sun against a open header chevelle and I couldn’t even hear my car lol. I lost to a Ford Fusion, and just barely beat a mustang 4.6 lol. I’m used to going in the trans am and running mid 12s and being in a good mood. This car add fuel and change duty cycle and it hated me every run. I accidentally took two anxiety pills before hand as well LOL. I was super calm but super annoyed. I learned a lot though,ls1s are super easy to go fast in. Dsm Turbo cars need a laptop and data log which I don’t have, because there are way to many things I want to monitor and just don’t have the time to lol.

Also sorry for the long post but I went this morning and tried a new maf, car ran even worse and died on me about 5 times.Then in my infinite brilliance I decide hey let’s try a 50/50 mix today. So I’m still over here just failing away. Put the old maf back in and it’ll at least getthis 50/50 mix through it.

I ordered a maft to try with my gm maf I have sitting around. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
How's the tune with the 50/50 mix? If you were running rich before, adding that ethanol could basically 'fix' the tune, as in, it will lean it out a bit. Sorry about the issues, but try not to feel defeated. Took me a long time to get my car dialed back in after spending like 2 year chasing knock i could not figure out (even at 6psi) and it turned out to be horribly clogged injectors (can read about that here if you want to hear my woes lol: PSA: How bad are your fuel injectors? Get them cleaned!). Now you are going down the E85 path try and be positive and look forward to all the potential you are going to unlock.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks. I had the injectors tested before putting them in and they were fine. I’m feeling better with this maft on the way. The tune is even worse now. Afrs go to 10 and I’ve seen more knock in the last 12 hours than ever before, 23-28!! I don’t get it. Maybe my o2s are failing?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok so back on topic of fuel psi. I got the sending unit wired up to the lcdbc. With the vac hose off the aem afpr I set it to 43, it was at 28! With the vac hose back in place it’s at 36. Does this seem right?

What surprises Me is aem says it comes set to 40psi. But maybe that’s given Honda’s fuel systems?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Awesome. Hopefully good things happen from that change. Test drive went well. That would explain the trouble to rev.

My arc 2 settings still can’t be changed or I get a cel.

·
One fix at a time
7,888 Posts
What kind of airflow Hz reading are you getting at idle now? If it's way too low that will throw the CEL. It should be 45-55Hz but since you're scaling larger injectors you may be closer to 30-35.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
Ok so back on topic of fuel psi. I got the sending unit wired up to the lcdbc. With the vac hose off the aem afpr I set it to 43, it was at 28! With the vac hose back in place it’s at 36. Does this seem right?

What surprises Me is aem says it comes set to 40psi. But maybe that’s given Honda’s fuel systems?
I am a little confused by this unless im reading it wrong. You should set base pressure with everything disconnected. Then when under vacuum, pressure should drop. When under boost, pressure will rise accordingly.

What kind of airflow Hz reading are you getting at idle now? If it's way too low that will throw the CEL. It should be 45-55Hz but since you're scaling larger injectors you may be closer to 30-35.
This is another place where E85 will help, since you wont have to scale down as much.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Yea I did it that way @jrhorne. It actually dropped to 36/37 with vac applied. It’s running way better, It needed that with the e85 mix.

@TurboSinceBirth airflow hz is 37 hot idle. And yea I’ve noticed that, when it reads zero is when it throws the code.

The 50/50 mix also has made my low knob want to be at +3 clicks now hot idle, it'll run and drive ok at +2 though. Idle is just lean.

Edit- also the high fuel trim is at 81/82 and I’m at +1 click on high instead of +6. The wideband goes straight to 10.0 under heavy throttle through 2nd up to 60mph even at +1. I threw the new maf in it that it wouldn’t run on Yesterday and it runs now so that’s good. The maft will hopefully work out for the best though. I dunno if I should just accept my arc 2 settings if it runs though? Hopefully it’s just faulty or the wrong model. I want to make a trip to the track. Redeem myself for loosing to a Ford Fusion. That guy is probably on cloud nine “I beat a stealth!!”.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well shoot,I just came across more posts for arc2 settings and it seems like +2 low and +4 accel are more common than it seems. High settings range from -2 and up as well. Interesting.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,090 Posts
10 is to rich for wot turn down the high setting
Yeah for 50/50 mix you can be basically 11.0 and be totally safe, with full E85 you can even go a bit leaner. Before i hotwired my pump with 50/50 mix i was 11.0 when full boost hit at 3500 or so RPM, running away to 12.5 by 6000 and i still didnt have any knock or anything. Ethanol is a lot more forgiving. Now with it hotwired and basically full E85 i target mid 11s under WOT.

Oh and as far as idle goes, when i am in open loop i purposely have my idle pretty lean, around 15.5-16. When closed loop kicks in its of course around 14.7. But a lean idle isnt an issue unless you have starting problems (i dont live in a cold climate).

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,323 Posts
It should be noted that you usually will not see knock on these cars with ethanol until it is already too late. Voltage spikes and increased noise are good things to monitor, but visually inspecting plugs and piston crowns for a lean condition, detonation, or peppering is not a bad idea either. Just my two cents.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

Reactions: sandstone92vr4

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Thanks, another reason to run a 50/50 mix, get half the benefits and draw backs of both.

I kid, just making it sound better in my head, honestly though its probably what ill do since its cold here now.

·
One fix at a time
7,888 Posts
Yeah just take a little bit out of high if that’s what your wideband is reading. For stock intercoolers I would probably run 10.6-10.8 AFR since you’ll need the extra fuel in higher gears on pulls to quench some higher IATs/knock. FMIC you could probably get away with 11. Even with E-85 I run 11-11.2. If I had planned to do any long pulls 1st-4th or the like I would aim for 10.6-10.8 since it gets really hot and E-85 will preignite. I’ve had that happen before and lifted the heads because of so much extra cylinder pressure. It never knocked either. Luckily I didn’t break a piston or bend a rod. I still don’t know how I got away with that. I probably should have been on a 3 step colder non projected plug vs 2.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts