Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,everyone, i was wanting to change my fuel filter, and i need a little help. The actual changing of the filter seems very easy, it the depresurizing of the fuel system thats got me. I have been told that i need to find the wire to the fuel pump, but then someone else told me all i have to do is disconnect the fuel pump fuse. Well, i don't have a service manual(those things are over $100!), and i was wondering if anyone could help.

Thanks alot!!

Brian
91 Stealth ES

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Just go into the hatch and disconnect the fuel pump harness (it's under the gray cover on the floor of the back). Then start your car and let it run out of fuel (should only take a second or two). Your system is now depressurized, but fuel may still come out of the filter (did it with me).

Hans

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'm lazy. I rarely purge the system when I change fuel filters, I just unscrew it relatively slowly, and use a catch can underneath for the drip. Never had a problem this way, just a little messier.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I change them yearly. I can actually tell a difference. Right up there with plugs as far as I'm concerned in terms of importance of maintenance. Your results may also vary depending on the gas you use. They're a pain in the ass to change on these cars, cause of their location though.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I don't think there is really too much out there to choose from, Vadim. For stock fuel systems, mitsu or a similar aftermarket will do fine (N.B. many of the aftermarkets are a "generic" fit model designed to fit our cars as well as supras and others. Not a big problem, they just include a couple of extra fittings that you may not need). I haven't cut any open to compare (kind of expensive!). If you change it yearly, you will be fine. Too often they are neglected and not changed for years, therefore poor / inconsistent fuel pressure, dirtier injectors, etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, it worked great! It was not the most fun thing to do, especially since it was so cold outside(Illinois), but i did it, and it works! Thanks so much for the help guys!

Brian
91 Stealth ES

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.