Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is misfiring/hesitating/shaking when you try to put it under heavy acceleration in any gear. Smooth slow accelteration is fine, and reving in neutral is fine. When the power isn't there under acceleration, the back end starts shaking real bad.

It's a 92 VR4 and I had the 60k service done about 10k ago... but at 70k miles it's never had plugs/wire/fuel filter replaced.

I wanted to go ahead and place the fuel filter to start, but didn't have any tech books for it. If some one could tell me how to get down to it (is it on the firewall?) or send me a page from one of the manuals that would be great.

Email to : <a href="mailto:[email protected]"><font color="0000ff">Brad</font></a>

Anyone have any input?

I am out of a job right now, and can't afford to take it anywhere unless I really have to.

Thanks.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
it looks like you've got your instructions, but one word of advice...

If you get stuck and its too hard to remove (like msot peoples are). Remove the filter with the part labeled "High Pressure Fuel Pipe" (from the previous link) intact. it is much easier to remove that piece from the filter once it is off the car, and there is a lot more room to remove that pipe than to get at the bottom of the filter!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Remove the battery, battery mounts, windshield washer fluid container, and you should be able to easily get to it. I just replaced my fuel filter sunday in about 30 minutes so it's no big deal. After you see it it's pretty self-explanatory

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbos?

Forgot to mention that the studdering comes usually when the turbos kick in, true they require more fuel when they hit, but does anyone suspect that it could be anything to do with the turbos/ BOV rather than with the fuel filter?

Thanks for the links guys.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
How about spark plugs?

·
Registered
466 Posts
change the damn spark plugs...... My friend's car has that problem before................................. Change the damn plugs.....:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
My car had the same exact problem. Bad coil and bad sparkplugs. Get NGK Platiums and gap them between .030 and .035.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Remove the filter with the bottom pipe piece still intact. To do this, u havta unscrew the rubber line using a 14 mm, and i think an 18mm. Then mount the filter to a piece of wood, or put it in a vise to remove the bottom banjo bolt.
If ya dont, you WILL be sorry.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
whoawhoawhoa, why will you be sorry? what kind of symptoms occur if you mess up on the fuel filter install?
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about (banjo bolt) and the rubber lining, I did take those out (just with my fingers, and put them in the new fuel filter.. then we just screwed all the fuel lines back in etc...
I've been noticing my car has been stuttering though.. just a little. in first gear.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
If it's not the plugs, it's probably the wires. I've had this happen before. This would be a good time to go ahead and upgrade to larger wires, like Magnecore or Accel.

Although not recommended, I just now replaced my fuel filter after 137K miles on the original one. So that's why I believe your problem is more likely the plugs and/or wires.

·
Registered
856 Posts
my guess is plugs or plug wires. Ive seen this happen to tons of people's 3k/stealths. The connection gets dirty, and it can't keep up w/ spark demand in the higher rpm. It'll cost you around $100 for a whole new spark plug wire set. Of your you can spend a lot more than that if u want :)

.jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts