Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of taking this out of my car,so i have more room to work on.Right now my 3 inch intercooler pipe to the TB is squash between the tranny case and the canister.

I wonder if any body ever taken theirs out.I heard it supposed to take the fuel vapor out from the tank for safety reason.

Anybody ever taken them out of their cars???

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Mines gone :D along with all other emissions. I went through and took all the "dumb" looking things off hehehe. It was one of those weeks that I needed to vent.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey i just got off the phone with mike(AAM)....

He said that he had taken his out too,both the green stealth and the mystic GT.

But anybody knows exactly why its there??? And what did you guys do to the lines that goes to the canister???

Matt what are you doing this weekend??? I'm going to AAM leaving this Friday or Saturday.They wont be able to tune the car until Monday tho.Maybe if i leave early enought i want to pay you a visit up in northcaro.

Thanks all:)

·
Big Kid
2,781 Posts
I took mine out also as well as all the other emission stuff. saved 7lbs an picked up a bunch of room. The one thing that I did notice is that when I took out the canister there seamad to be a vacuum created in the fuel tank. When I took off the gas cap you could hear the air being sucked into the tank. I wonder how this will effect gas milage and running out of fuel pressure when the gas is low?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
><i>But anybody knows exactly why its there???</i>

I don't know if it's still true these days, but the original purpose of the cannister was to absorb the vapours vented by your fuel tank on hot days when the fuel evaporated and the vapours expanded, and then to give the vapours back to the fuel tank when the tank cooled down.

The alternative was (and - for you guys who ripped yours out - is) that your fuel tank vents its vapours directly to the atmosphere, where all your friends and neighbours get to enjoy them.

I should think that you're also seeing a slight decrease in your mileage, since, rather than venting and re-venting the same vapours over and over again, you guys keep venting newly-evaporated vapours.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
yeah, its like a backlash when I open my gas cap :eek: It lasts about 5 seconds and is very loud.

Missile, there just plug all the holes that the canister leaves. I'm not sure what yours looks like cus you have all hard piping etc...

So you are coming this weekend? What happened to the idea of next thursday with mike? Let me know your plans and we will hook up. Where are you staying?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard from a source.....

If you take the canister out you might blow up the car/the car cought on power be cause of the fuel vapor.Is it possible,because here in FL during summer it gets hot and humid.Will that cause anything???

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
mine was out all last summer and my car didn't blow up!

Thats all I know about it. I don't know any of the engineering behind it, I just thought it looked dumb and took up space. I might get a vented gas cap to relieve some of the pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Canister

The purpose it to control HC emissions. Same thing as the cat converter and those funky boots on gas pump nosles.

Just remove it when you do work in the area and
put it back on when you are using the car.

The car will not pass emissions if your state does them (correctly). The canister does not degrade performance (actually, performance may degrade with it off and the lines plugged)

If have the hood open more than one a month, It is time to get rid of the car and get something more reliable!

·
Big Kid
2,781 Posts
I think that a vented gas cap is the way to go. But remember that you get a fuel pressure drom when first staarting your engine because the fuel line looses its pressure with this type of cap.

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Eric & Matt, If you guys get together this weekend I'd like to meet both of you, I'd make the drive to Matts house, if my Y-pipe makes it in tomarrow or saturday.

I'm not sure that it will though, I really would like to see both of your cars.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
If have the hood open more than one a month, It is time to get rid of the car and get something more reliable!
You obviously do not own a modded vr4/tt :rolleyes:

Eric & Matt, If you guys get together this weekend I'd like to meet both of you, I'd make the drive to Matts house, if my Y-pipe makes it in tomarrow or saturday.
ah hell, maybe i'll host a mini gathering! I would like to meet you too. How far away are you?

I think that a vented gas cap is the way to go. But remember that you get a fuel pressure drom when first staarting your engine because the fuel line looses its pressure with this type of cap.
Mitchell, would this be an issue? BTW, how are those rods and pistons coming?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Andrew Caple said:
><i>But anybody knows exactly why its there???</i>

I don't know if it's still true these days, but the original purpose of the cannister was to absorb the vapours vented by your fuel tank on hot days when the fuel evaporated and the vapours expanded, and then to give the vapours back to the fuel tank when the tank cooled down.

The alternative was (and - for you guys who ripped yours out - is) that your fuel tank vents its vapours directly to the atmosphere, where all your friends and neighbours get to enjoy them.

I should think that you're also seeing a slight decrease in your mileage, since, rather than venting and re-venting the same vapours over and over again, you guys keep venting newly-evaporated vapours.
canister is an emission item, some of them have charcoal bits in there to better absorb the vapor. but one important additional reason that canister is there is that the exhaust vapor is TOXIC to the atmosphere.

hey andrew, you spell the vapor wrong. :D :D

here is what andrew will reply:

centre
colour
so blow me!:D :D

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Matt, I'm about 4hrs away maybe more. I've never made the trip out there. If it's gonna be this weekend I'm not 100% sure i could have my car ready for the trip but i could try to drive it as is. I'll just have to bring a friend & some tools. :D

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
LOL I'm officially "A source" now... I said that it absorbs fuel vapors and that when you remove it those vapors will wind up in the atmosphere. I then made a judgment call and figured that it could be a fire hazard. I wouldn't say your car would blow up or anything, but gasoline vapors are extremely flamable... Fuck it, I'm not offering any more advice to anyone... It's all a matter of oppinion anyway. I wouldn't remove mine. Not yet anyway. Especially if I hadn't even removed my EGR equipment, you're about as likely to see no real gains from either one.

·
5,179 Posts
I removed mine and everything is the same. Exhaust still stinks and my gas mileage still sucks. Whats new :) The only thing I noticed was yesterday when I went to the gas station to fill up it over flowed. I dont know if it had anything to do with this because this was the first I filled up all year but it never did that last year before I removed everything.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mike the "Source"....LOL

I think they guy that was on the back ground that said you might blow it up :D......

Anyway the reason why i want to took it out because of space reason.My IC is totally bent because of the canister.I dont know how it looks on the 98 and beyond,but on the 99 i would get tons more room to work and fix that pipe.Next year i'm going with the Bigger turbos.My setup will be similar to the Bozzspeed GTO.TB will be on the other side of where it is now.

Anybody else ever had a flood problem when they fill up their fuel after the canister is taken out???

Mike I'm still in town,AAM is busy and won't have time to tuned my car again until Monday.Me and kisha is planning to leave on saturday,and plan to drive back in monday noon or tuesday morning.Still consider of comming??? If you can get monday and tuesday off that will be great;).....I tryed to get a hold of you today,but the operator said you didn't answer the page.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.