Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little confused.

When I was first installing my manual boost controller it boosted way too high and hit major fuel cut (extremely hard engine jerk)

I have since gotten it to just about the right point, it hits 12 - 13 psi in first and about 10psi in all the rest. But sometimes when pulling in 1st gear, I get what I thought was fuel cut. Now I am not so sure. It happens for a split second somewhere around 5,000rpms but then stops and resumes pulling. There isn't any jerk, just a lack of power and a change in engine sound. It then goes right back to normal. And this is happening around 13 psi, so I am lead to believe that it is not fuel cut becuase that should only happen above 14psi.

I am wondering if it could have anything to do with my spark plugs. I have 46,000 miles on these plugs and they were gapped to stock specs. I am wondering if this could be the cause to this strange feeling. Is it something like missing? or spark blowout? (what do those terms mean anyways?)

Thanks for your help, I would really like to run 14psi!!!

-Ricky

·
Wizard
493 Posts
I just installed a Blitz DSBC and had the same thing happen to me. John Adams told me to change the spark plug gap to .30 so I wouldn't get spark plug blowout.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Fuel cut is not a soft, "was that fuel cut" type of event. It is a sudden "what the hell did I hit" or "did my engine fall out" kind of feeling. It's like hitting a brick wall.

And yes, your gap is WAY too big for higher than stock boost. Go with .030 and you'll be fine.

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
So, the higher the boost the lower the gap?
I just did my plugs, & coils, tookt he car down the road at 7psi. No blow out, but i got alot of backfire.

What couses backfire?
I'm thinking my ECU has something to do with it but not sure. It seems to be modded & i think it's allwing a bit more fuel?
It may also be because i was running so low of boost, I may had been to rich.

After i get my Y-pipe in I'll up the boost & maybe i'll find out something.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
The Accel setup is supposed to handle increased boost and still keep a largish gap - most run .035 to .040 with no problems up to 20psi. After a datalogger, the coils are my next mod. If I hadn't jumped on a set of the OZ Tubolare's 17x9 for $320 delivered, I'd be closer to that goal :)

Have you done anything on the fuel pump side? At least do the relay bypass to make sure you've got 100% fuel available. 8v at WOT sucks!

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
John M. I havn't done anythi9ng w/ the fuel pump yet. I was planning on doing the bypass but i don't know if i trust myself.
I gaped my plugs at .037

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Sabotage said:
No blow out, but i got alot of backfire. What couses backfire?
Did you get the throttle cable set too tight?

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
Did you get the throttle cable set too tight?
I don't think so, I marked it when i took it off, & set it back to it's original place.

·
THE MAN, THE AMERICAN
2,015 Posts
I think I suffer from this, but I didn't before. It just started fairly recently under WOT. I have a manual controller set to 14.5, know it ain't fuel cut, I've been there before.

I am planning on new plugs/wires this winter. Need the procedure on this bypass too.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I have the text how-to in every sig. M Pro also has the procedure documented with pics - his link is in his sig as well.

I guess while I'm at it, I can also plug my patented "check your TPS" response. You'd be surprised how many cars have probles with these two things.

http://moojohn.com/tpsinstructions.gif (not inline to reduce bandwidth)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts