Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I make left turns the front passenger wheel makes a grinding sound... now most unusual sounds are bad, but grinding sounds are horrid! it only happens when I turn to the left, any suggestions?

PS. Don't suggest making all right turns

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Been there, Done that. It is most likely your Drive shaft. The drive shaft and coupler will have to be replace. It is not expensive and you probalby could do it youself. I think the shaft cost under $100 Remanufactured and I had the dealer get it for me. Some one might have the infomation here on where you can get it. Hope this helps.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... Anyone got some info on where to get the parts?

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
Maybe thats why my car grinds occasionally when I turn.. Here are the details, and you tell me what you think..

It only happens when I'm going slowly.. but it usually is when I'm turning the wheel while braking.. I get a really loud grinding/clunking noise...

I've been told that its the ABS braking system.. I don't know. I know that there was a recall on the brakes for my year (93), but that was fixed by the prev. owner..

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... Anyone got some info on where to get the parts?

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
Hey silver bullet, what info do you have on the brakes being recalled on a 93? I just rolled mine cause it fishtailed and I hit a wall, but it was front wheel drive. I need proof that it wasn't careless driving so I can get off in court. I was sure there was something wrong with my suspension, but the insurance guy said it could have been a couple things, like the rear brake locking up. Any info would help

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
Oh and about the drive shafts, I don't know about Stealths and 3000gts, but I had a Ford Probe and needed a drive shaft replacement, and car quest had rebuilt ones for about $80 + core, but I think Autozone was cheaper. They are basically all the same type of part, so it should be really close in price.

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
EliteStreet99:

As far as I know, the brake recall only applied to the front brakes.. I've read about it several places.. One place I saw it was:
www.brightok.net/~tds/stealth1.html

-click on recalls, then on Front Brake Hose Recall..

If you go to any Dodge/Mitsu (whatever applies) dealer with your VIN#, they can type it in and tell you if there are any recalls or Technical Service Bulletins for your car..

Hope this helps..

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Silver Bullet: I encounter that problem also... usually while turning/braking fast tho... slow turning and braking it doesnt occur much.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt the noise that you heard is coming form the drive shaft. But anyways... I had my drive shaft replaced due to the bad U-joints about a year and a half ago and it cost my $1088 brand new from the Mitsubishi dealer.It comes with 1 year warranty or 12,000 miles which ever comes first. Hope this helps.

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Mine started out as just a little grinding noise when turning. It got worse as time went on until I finally had it check out becuase I could not figure it out and it almost went out on my wife while she was driving it. It cost around $200 to have the dealer order the after market drive shaft and cupler and install them. I would atleast have someone check it out ASAP.

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Mine started out as just a little grinding noise when turning. It got worse as time went on until I finally had it check out becuase I could not figure it out and it almost went out on my wife while she was driving it. It cost around $200 to have the dealer order the after market drive shaft and cupler and install them. I would atleast have someone check it out ASAP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts