Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been doing AC restoration and am getting ready to replace my expansion valve as i still happen to have a huge leak that will only hold freon for like 6 days. I can smell freon inside the car.

Has anybody messed with their evap/expansion valve before? Does it require removal of the dash?

On my RHD the AC lines look to be entering the cabin on the passenger (usdm driver) side so ill start by taking apart the glovebox. BUT if i gotta pull this whole dash out ill prolly just elect to fill my hvac with stop leak.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,551 Posts
I removed mine with the dash intact, however, most people will agree that you will have a much easier time with the dash out of the way... especially for installation.

-sent from my Galaxy S22 Ultra

·
Premium Member
7,265 Posts
On the USDM, the evaporator case falls out in about 10 minutes... You unbolt the hoses from the engine compartment side, pull the glovebox, and remove the three bolts holding the case in.

I have no idea if there's any significant difference on a RHD, or if it's just a mirror image design.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i got all ready to pull this sucker out but since i have dye in it i wanted to release the pressure first......well i found a leaky low side valve. Replaced it. Filled it back up with freon and well see how long she holds. I dont think i want to go about removing the entire dash. Ill see if i can be clever about it if i decide to finish ripping it out.

The removal for a GTO seems to be the same as a USDM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I took that thing out like 10 times last year. You do not have to remove the dash at all to get it out. You remove that metal bracket and the lower trim piece that has the ac plug on it. Then you have 2 bolts holding the black box in place way up in the dash (you will need a flashlight to see them) and one bolt near the floor. You will have to wiggle the box out and will likely cut your fingers up doing it. When I pulled mine out the box was completely dry though. It was just the O rings on the ac lines that was the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts