Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey FRank I ordered a 2nd gear synchro from you last week. I just got it and the packing slip says "1st gear blocking ring". It does not look like what I expected. I expected the ring with teeth on it I guess. This looks more like what they call a syncronizer cone in the FWD 5 speed service manual pictures. Is this the right part that I need to replace? Just checking before I tear it all apart.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
hey Frank. Meet ya at the airpark as usual?? This time i will bring the cranberry sauce.

Kerry

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
I believe that the 1st and 2nd gear synchro are the same sizes. 3rd and 4th are the same....5th and 6th...you get the idea.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alan, long distance costs me money, 1-800 number costs Frank money. This board is "free" and he checks it regularly.

If you have a problem with it you certainly didn't have to reply.

I'll be sure and check all your posts and make sure they meet with my approval.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW I'm not questioning the size, I am questioning the piece itself. I expected the whole inner and outer pieces as well as the piece I got. I am assuming that maybe the middle "cone" is all that wears and you need to replace?

·
Big Kid
2,781 Posts
Jim are you now rebuilding trans's. That should be very popular in Wisconsin and Ill.

·
Banned
10,939 Posts
Long distance costs me money, 1-800 number costs Frank money. This board is "free" and he checks it regularly.The board does cost 3si so its not free. Why not just e-mail.

If you have a problem with it you certainly didn't have to reply. No, I did not. But, As a board admin It is my right to question the usage. This should have been handeled via a phone call, personal e-mail.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Jim,

I have a complete set of new 5-spd synchros. See my web page below with pics.

http://www.geocities.com/lutransys/jlucius/2-AWD4.htm

All Frank sells are the rings - not cones, not hubs, not sleeves. The 1st and 2nd gear rings and cones are identical. 3rd and 4th gear rings are identical. 5th and reverse are different.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Jeff, as usual, great work. Thanks for this particular topic on your web page. It's just a damn shame that Mitsubishi and Getrag had to make such a mystery out of such a lousy product. I could see it if they had built a quality product and didn't want anyone to copy it, but...

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alan - just giving you a gentle poke! 90% of the posts that I post regularly are to answer questions and help people out! I also do a ton of work for board members in WI and IL, so I contribute plenty to the 3S community. I happened to be at work, on the board and it was convienient for me to pop a post on the board since I didn't have Frank's number or email address handy. If you are concerned about board traffic, there are plenty of less relavent posts than mine to pick on.

Mitch, yes i'm "rebuilding" my 5 speed to see if its a service I could offer in the future up here.

Thanks for the info Jeff!

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it thanks to Jeff's info! I got the right part I guess, I thought I needed to replace the whole synchro assembly but I guess just the ring.

·
4,613 Posts
hey moparjim how did you get the bearing off? I have been told either press off or a torch off? can I use a gear puller? I havnt attempted it yet as I ahve been too lazy but my trans is apart so whenever I get around to it I can check the synchros.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i don't have mine apart yet, but I assume you can heat it up and use a puller. I hope you dont have to cut it off with the torch! i will most like take it apart and then smuggle it into the engine plant that I work at and have them do the pressing part of the job.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Jim,yes the cone is the part with the friction material that usually wears down,1st and 2nd are the same .Let me know if you want to tackle these and I'll refer some people your way.

Brainfood ,you almost never need to use a torch to get the bearing off ,we use a press but you can use a 3 jaw puller and pull the gear together with the bearing.

Frank Martin

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm definitely taking it apart this weekend, so any info would be helpful. thanks!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Jim ,the easy way is to remove the shifter ,then the bellhousing ,then the center housing ,then things start to make sense .dont try to remove the shift forks from the shift rails ,they all stay together as one assembly .

Frank Martin

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Frank!

·
Banned
10,939 Posts
moparjim said:
happened to be at work, on the board and it was convienient for me to pop a post on the board since I didn't have Frank's number or email address handy.
Then why didn't you say that ?:confused: I started under the assumption that there was a good reason(you have been posting here for a while). Thats why I asked rather that just deleting it or bitching in my first post.

I'm just trying to get people to stop posting attn(username) when there are other ways.

To quote a friend "it's all good" ;)

·
4,613 Posts
thanks frank I will try to work on mine a little later tommorow night... hopefully I have no problems with that bearing that is what I am worried about most.... anyone that has pics of a synchro that would be nice also.... it is the copper or gold looking ring with teeth on it isnt it? also how do I know what gear is what? I am checking the 3rd and 2nd gear synchros..

1 - 20 of 120 Posts