Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was listening for noises from my engine and I had a light and I noticed speckles of a wet green fluid(coolant). THis was on my top IC pipe right where it goes over the top rear timing belt cover, then I look on the side of the top rear timing belt cover and there are speckles of green fluid all over that too. I dont see any coolant on the ground or anything. I pulled the front top timing belt cover and there isn't any fluid on it or the timing belt. Once the car cools down Im going to pull the IC pop and take off the rear top timing belt cover (that fluid is on) and check that side of the belt. If there is any otehr place you guys think this may be coming from besides the waterpump please post your advice/opionion/ideas here! :)
-Thanks!

·
The Blank Man
1,161 Posts
sounds like the water pump

·
GOD
4,457 Posts
I had a hole in my radiator, caused my by A/C fan clutch coming apart, the fan blades cut a hole in the radiator and the coolant sprayed out all over the driver side of the motor, on top of the timing covers also.

You need to do a cooling system pressure test to be sure.
Hopefully its not the water pump.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures and an update

Okay well I pulled off the top timing belt covers, the rears exterior was covered by a spray of coolant, but the inside was dry. The timing belt has no fluid on it at all, and I cant see any fluid on the inside of the the main timing belt cover (although its hard to see hehe). Also the cam gears that timing belt goes on are dry. So at this point I have no clue where the spray of fluid came from. Theres no fluid on the ground under the car. I cant find any fluid by the front top timing belt cover, only on the rear and just some specs on a few other parts. Take a look at the following pictures I took of things (including what else the fluid was on.). Click and drag the link to your image bar to get he pictures to work, if you just click them you will get a error saying you are trying to view a picture from outside imagestation.
Pictures:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/pefb92063d6312b7009b04afbfe9b1d93/fcfe92cd.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p3b8a3b5930585a56defe59d2944f3371/fcfe9396.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p541201c6088dc8eeec6fbefb91bd219b/fcfe937f.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p0f42b77a4699a7cee6615df0fcb0cbfd/fcfe9350.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/pe8b966402cbbd468529010b28c0feb01/fcfe92f8.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p32ee076f81041c88f86db274ef1b5a4f/fcfe9315.jpg.orig.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p864c58c3356e560b50102c6fc027c98e/fcfe92e1.jpg.orig.jpg

-Thanks guys, I cant seem to find where this came from as its only on the rear top cover ,ainly then soem bits on a few parts really close to the top rear cover.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2Mitsus said:
How do I go about doing this?

·
GOD
4,457 Posts
JagVR4 said:

How do I go about doing this?
A shop should charge about $40 to do this.

All it is, is hooking up an air pump to where your radiator cap goes, it pressurizes the system so where ever there are leaks, fluid should spray out under pressure.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool!

2Mitsus said:

A shop should charge about $40 to do this.

All it is, is hooking up an air pump to where your radiator cap goes, it pressurizes the system so where ever there are leaks, fluid should spray out under pressure.
Ok cool, after I asked I was looking in the service manual and found the page for this procedure. Anyone else have any idea what ic could be? Im not sure about the water pump, theres no fluid on the inside of the timing belt covers, theres no fluid on the belt, and theres no fluid on the ground....

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
"...no fluid on the ground..." yet!

If your water pump has anything close to 60K miles on it, I would bet heavily that it is on it's way out. At least in my experience, the waterpump lifespan is pretty well timed to the 60K service interval.

Leak test is good idea, although, when the engine is hot, the system is under pressure and a leak should be pretty obvious with the timing belt cover off.

Clint

PS: If you haven't already done so, I would buy a gallon of antifreeze and top off the coolant and keep it in the car until you know what is going on. If it is the water pump, it can go from dripping to streaming out in a hurry and you dojn't want to get stranded.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cbatters said:
"...no fluid on the ground..." yet!
If your water pump has anything close to 60K miles on it, I would bet heavily that it is on it's way out. At least in my experience, the waterpump lifespan is pretty well timed to the 60K service interval.
I will keep an eye out for the waterpump, but the thign that gets me is how could coolant spray up from the waterpump, which is inside of the timign covers, find its way out a hole and spray onto just the top rear timing cover, and then the inside of the timing covers and the timing belt be completely dry... Just throws me off. I think ill probably put the timing covers back on, start the car and look for the leak. I would do it with the timing covers off but it may spray fluid onto the belt.... In any condition thanks for your help guys! If anyone else can think of any lines/areas of leakage in the are let me know!

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Timing belt is moving pretty fast and gets pretty hot so I would not be surprised that any anti-freeze that gets on it would evaporate quickly.

For your sake, I hope it is a pin hole leak in an easy-to-remove hose but if your water pump has more than 50K on it I am leaning towards water pump.

Clint

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
2Mitsus said:
I had a hole in my radiator, caused my by A/C fan clutch coming apart, the fan blades cut a hole in the radiator and the coolant sprayed out all over the driver side of the motor, on top of the timing covers also.

Check around the radiator on that side of the engine bay. If there is a pinhole leak, it could be spraying coolant.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im going in.

Alright guys im about to piece this sucker back together lol. I sure hope it isn't the waterpump as I had several other items I had planned on getting for Christmas (Elec. Coost control etc..)! :D Ill report back here in a bit on my findings.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Well i cleaned the coolant of the covers and the little that got on a two other parts, put the covers back on and everything back together. Then I checked under the car, no fluid after sitting for a day. Started the car up, looked, listened etc. Didn't seen anything. I waited for about 8 minutes and kept checking temp. Then I pulled out and drove around. Temp stayed normal. I drove for about 40 minutes, and I put the car through its paces. I stopped several times during this drive to check for steam or fluid. I never saw any steam or fluid. I came home, idle the car to cool the turbos. Opened the front top timing belt cover (right after I turned off the engine), no fluid or steam anywhere. Im going to take it and have the coolant system pressure tested as suggested above. Ill keep an eye on the temp and on the ground for fluid. Its not my daily driver so anytime im in it im pretty cautious.
-Thanks for all the help guys! :) Ill keep you updated if anything develops!

·
Trader????
559 Posts
Are you sure that is coolant? The spray pattern and color of the fluid in the second picture looks like A/C dye. Check that manifold line running on the left fender and see if there is a leak there.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm

Well i just had that line fixed up by the headlight cause it busted. Ill have to goto the shop and ask them what color dye they used. I can see in the compressor window that fluid is still in there..... Ill have to check it out.

·
Trader????
559 Posts
I'll bet ya that it is spray from the charge port. The high side port is the one right in front of the left strut.

Usually after the system is charged and the hose is disconnected, there is a slight loss of freon from the A/C machine's line. This causes extra dye and what not to spray on various items.

Also standard R-134a dye is a neon green. I believe it is required to be that color.

If you want you can get a blacklight and check for other spray areas and clean them up if you like.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
moparacker youm ight be right on!

Moparacker I think your right on the money! Since ive had the system recharged I dont believe I have even looked in that area. When I saw it I was using one of those little keychain lights that really bright only at night, its more of a fluorescent type light, in the day it doesn't light up anything, but at night its real bright! The beam is almost pure whiteish... I guess the dye doesn't dry up? Becuase its been like a month and a half since it was charged.... Thanks for the insight!!! :)

·
Trader????
559 Posts
Nope. It will never just disappear after time. Its one of its properties. It has to be cleaned up, water and a rag will do.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also..

Cool! It wasn't too visible at certain angles with the naked eye, but when I would take a picture with the camera the flash would make the fluid show up really well. I could see it with the naked eye if I got close. Is there a way to check that A/C system is still full of fluid? I looked in the sight galss on the condensor and I see fluid in it (a greenish fluid ironically :) ).
-Thanks!

·
Trader????
559 Posts
If it was just done and the A/C blows cold, the freon level should be fine. The stuff that sprayed isn't from the car, its from the machine used to fill the system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.