Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys my name is Damian I live in Dallas Texas I’ve always been a car guy, I had my share of dsm cars back in the day from talons tsi awd to Gst and gsx eclipse . Now the Evos are tempting but the interiors are cheap and is hard to find one that hasn’t been messed with. (Evo X is not a real Evo).... I’m the owner of a 1992 3000gt vr4 on monza red . My plans are to keep it stock looking with some Mitsubishi upgrades from the Evo and dsm cars to get a decent 500hp and restore it to its original glory hope you guys can help me.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome. My first modded car was a red Eclipse GST. Agree with you on the Evo. I would love to have one but they seem to hold value better than our cars for the moment.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Welcome to the board

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,507 Posts
Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Welcome to the board, I had a 1g Talon TSi AWD back in the day as well. You'll find our community and aftermarket support isn't as big as the DSM/Evo world, but it isn't bad. A great first mod would be gutting your pre-cats and replacing the stock F-style downpipe with a better flowing Y-style one, and a test pipe. It really frees up the turbos and is probably the best "bang for your buck" mod there is. Plus gutting your pre cats seems to be a right of passage around here.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Looks like you still have the full setup of OEM vacuum hoses. If that is the case the VERY FIRST upgrade I would suggest is a vacuum hose reduction. Hopefully another member will provide a link. I switched to a new cell handset and my backup and subsequent download went as badly as espected so a ton of non app related info didn't make the transfer trip. And I've been too busy manuallylly transfer the data. It's on an external micro SD card. see sidebar below if comsidering a Moto RAZR FLIP handset.**

But there is a detailed guided instruction on the vacuum hose reduction and egr? delete on this site and stealth316.com (which if you haven't visited and bookmarked yet, you need to do so asap). I have both shortcuts to 3SI and Stealth316 on my home screen. Much of 317 site info applies to the gen1 platform. And I too own a 92 vr4, factory paint, Caracas red. Bought in 98 with 32k on odo, only add one until recently are some "vintage" Italian made 3 spoke chrome Antera Opus 1 rims/wheels 10x17. They widen the stance, which is cool imo, but the wheels extend beyond the vertical plane of the body which most dislike. Also had to add exhaust. So as 3" catless catback similar to tanabe or borla in look. That took out front pre cat so just had to gut the rear.

So after 20 years plus happy with it and OEM config, due to a click no start issue. The resolution of which has led me to the decision of going with a staged upgrade as they call it. Across the board stage 2 parts including larger turbos of course but a lot of fuel management and data logging hardware and software as well. Welcome to the site!

**2020 Motorola Razr Flip sidebar:
I was atypically drawn to this handset because my very first cell phone was a Motorola led flip phone, circa 2000...and I liked the unobtrusive size. From it I went to the very first Droid smart phone handset produced by Motorola, "chocolate bar" with slide out qwerty keyboard. 100% devoted to Motorola Droid phones through several generations. Then they sold out to Lenovo, and quality plummeted, an aggrevating fact that was compounded when phone issues significantly interfered during a family emergency. Pissed me off, I switched to Samsung (S9+). Then Moto reached back 20 years and added modern tech. Found MY weakness! And while I could do without the "we want to be buddy's with you so will push the latest cool features and advice" bs. I still did it. But the greatest blunder and single most inexcusable flaw and personal lapse in my not noticing, with the new Motorola Razr Flip phone (purposeful by design imo) is the absence of an external storage drive! Absolute bullshit play to gain unfettered access to my phone data. Would have been a deal breaker had I noticed that detail.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the board, I had a 1g Talon TSi AWD back in the day as well. You'll find our community and aftermarket support isn't as big as the DSM/Evo world, but it isn't bad. A great first mod would be gutting your pre-cats and replacing the stock F-style downpipe with a better flowing Y-style one, and a test pipe. It really frees up the turbos and is probably the best "bang for your buck" mod there is. Plus gutting your pre cats seems to be a right of passage around here.
I have a 3” down pipe no cats at all connected straight to my original catback, I search that on sport mode the exhaust has 3” of flow through. Is this correct??

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ehhh, I don't know if it would be the actual equivalent to an aftermarket 3", but I think the general consensus is the stock catback is good to around 450-500whp before it becomes and hindrance. I'm assuming the previous owner did all those mods? Did he mention doing the pre-cats? these are small little cats that are after the turbo but before the downpipe, and they are super restrictive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also sorta ex DSMer here. That is what got me into the scene, had 7 of them, and 90s jdm fanboy, so had basically all of them. I currently have a vr4, and a evo8, and take offense! I love the interior of the Evo, but we have the SSL, so its all black leather.

welcome, and good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ehhh, I don't know if it would be the actual equivalent to an aftermarket 3", but I think the general consensus is the stock catback is good to around 450-500whp before it becomes and hindrance. I'm assuming the previous owner did all those mods? Did he mention doing the pre-cats? these are small little cats that are after the turbo but before the downpipe, and they are super restrictive.
Well I’ve done rear main seal, front main seal , the 120k service, valve job , stem seals, 3rd gen lifters , cometic head gasket , arp studs and rebuilt one of the turbos since I got the car . The downpipe was already taking care of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks like you still have the full setup of OEM vacuum hoses. If that is the case the VERY FIRST upgrade I would suggest is a vacuum hose reduction. Hopefully another member will provide a link. I switched to a new cell handset and my backup and subsequent download went as badly as espected so a ton of non app related info didn't make the transfer trip. And I've been too busy manuallylly transfer the data. It's on an external micro SD card. see sidebar below if comsidering a Moto RAZR FLIP handset.**

But there is a detailed guided instruction on the vacuum hose reduction and egr? delete on this site and stealth316.com (which if you haven't visited and bookmarked yet, you need to do so asap). I have both shortcuts to 3SI and Stealth316 on my home screen. Much of 317 site info applies to the gen1 platform. And I too own a 92 vr4, factory paint, Caracas red. Bought in 98 with 32k on odo, only add one until recently are some "vintage" Italian made 3 spoke chrome Antera Opus 1 rims/wheels 10x17. They widen the stance, which is cool imo, but the wheels extend beyond the vertical plane of the body which most dislike. Also had to add exhaust. So as 3" catless catback similar to tanabe or borla in look. That took out front pre cat so just had to gut the rear.

So after 20 years plus happy with it and OEM config, due to a click no start issue. The resolution of which has led me to the decision of going with a staged upgrade as they call it. Across the board stage 2 parts including larger turbos of course but a lot of fuel management and data logging hardware and software as well. Welcome to the site!

**2020 Motorola Razr Flip sidebar:
I was atypically drawn to this handset because my very first cell phone was a Motorola led flip phone, circa 2000...and I liked the unobtrusive size. From it I went to the very first Droid smart phone handset produced by Motorola, "chocolate bar" with slide out qwerty keyboard. 100% devoted to Motorola Droid phones through several generations. Then they sold out to Lenovo, and quality plummeted, an aggrevating fact that was compounded when phone issues significantly interfered during a family emergency. Pissed me off, I switched to Samsung (S9+). Then Moto reached back 20 years and added modern tech. Found MY weakness! And while I could do without the "we want to be buddy's with you so will push the latest cool features and advice" bs. I still did it. But the greatest blunder and single most inexcusable flaw and personal lapse in my not noticing, with the new Motorola Razr Flip phone (purposeful by design imo) is the absence of an external storage drive! Absolute bullshit play to gain unfettered access to my phone data. Would have been a deal breaker had I noticed that detail.
I would not recommend doing a vac hose delete. Doesn't add any performance and just causes more emissions. It isn't difficult to keep the evap can and EGR working and it makes a significant reduction in vehicle emissions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts