Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since ive posted, but any of you guys who remember me, ive broken plenty of driveline parts trying to race this thing! ive also come up with alot of custom parts that ive fabicated. anyone who doesnt remember, do a search theres alot of good stuff in there! anyway, i seem to be down to the clutch. alot of you guys out there tried alot of things so i need some input!!!
clutches ive tried...
-rps stage 3 broke all the springs and the 3 organic pucks fell off
-act ceramic puck solid hub; much too violent, breaks too much crap
-full face kevlar w/sprung hub from falcon clutch; starting to burn, can not run "hot laps" at the track

note that car is stock weight and daily driver. I AM ALMOST IN THE 10s WITH NO NOS!!!!! i will down load some video for you guys to check out.( the [email protected] w/1.57 60ft @ long island dragway)

THANKS ALOT!! ray pampena

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
for your applications (it sounds like) I wouldnt even consider any clutch but the RPS carbon/carbon twin disk. All the cars that have hit 10's are running that clutch. I went w/ the carbon/carbon single disk but then again I'm not running 10's.

If you have been out of the "loop" for awhile the carbon/carbon line of RPS clutches is proving to be the best thing since sliced bread for our cars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you have been out of the "loop" for awhile the carbon/carbon line of RPS clutches is proving to be the best thing since sliced bread for our cars.
heyyyyyyyy since when has sliced bread been good for our cars???????

heh.. the carbons are the best ... single is the cheapest type...but you could also shell out the 2100 or something for the dual carbon...

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
yes, carbon/carbon would be the best for ya!

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
AAM is doing a group buy on carbon carbons single is $1500 and double is $2500. From the way everyone raves about them, its the only clutch to use if you want to keep the driveline parts from taking a crap. Supposedly, its properties allow it to be slipped, and it will get grippier as the carbon heats up, so when you finally let the clutch out all the way, it grabs even though its hot. This is unlike standard clutches as you and many of us even with stock type combos have found with any other clutches on the market. This clutch doesn't need the harsh clamping forces of the other clutches pressure plates because the science is in the carbon friction materials--and it only cost $200 to rebuild the single and $400 for the double. Supposedly, the clutch lasts forever though---unlike the RPS Stage III and the Centerforce, and the Kevlar clutches that wear out in pretty much a season of drag racing. Oh and they include a light weight aluminum flywheel as well.

Sam

·
Registered
92 Posts
wraith said:
AAM is doing a group buy on carbon carbons single is $1500 and double is $2500. From the way everyone raves about them, its the only clutch to use if you want to keep the driveline parts from taking a crap. Supposedly, its properties allow it to be slipped, and it will get grippier as the carbon heats up, so when you finally let the clutch out all the way, it grabs even though its hot. This is unlike standard clutches as you and many of us even with stock type combos have found with any other clutches on the market. This clutch doesn't need the harsh clamping forces of the other clutches pressure plates because the science is in the carbon friction materials--and it only cost $200 to rebuild the single and $400 for the double. Supposedly, the clutch lasts forever though---unlike the RPS Stage III and the Centerforce, and the Kevlar clutches that wear out in pretty much a season of drag racing. Oh and they include a light weight aluminum flywheel as well.

Sam

Sam, I could not have said it better myself.

Thanks for the great post.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Ray! Good to hear from you!
I'd suggest the RPS double disc carbon-carbon as the "safe, will hold your power easily" option; but in my 94, doubledisc is sorta grabby lately, so I would at least consider trying the singledisc carbon clutch. It has more freeplay when clutchpedal pushed in, so might be able to shift better at high rpm's (double disc had probs until Rob went to lower lb. pressureplate, now is better), is cheaper...dunno. Just a thought.
Both are worthy and my picks :) for those pushing the edge!
Jack T.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
Jack

hey Jack, I heard you were kind of the guniea pig for the CC clutches...I'd sure love to get a ride in that beast of yours, or at least see it run at the track. When we head over to Kekaunah I'd like for you and/or Jim (moparjim) to head over with us. Both of your cars are sweet! Thanks for all your work and nice job getting some crazy fast time slips.

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts