Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read all other posts and threads regarding this but none answer my question, i spent hours looking, if im wrong correct me. can i use my the old crank and cam sensor off my 93 N/A engine on a used j-spec N/A engine that comes with no crank and cam sensors? please, i just need that one little question answered, gurus, anyone! it would be greatly appreciated. im a new owner and i'd like to think this is a good helpful community that can help me out, as im sure ill be posting here more often, but i have to start with an engine!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hmmm......

I don't see why not as long as its from the same year. The only difference I know of between the jspec engine and the us version is the lack of smog equiptment on the jdm version.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ugh... the guy at c&t international says there is now way to tell what year it is, he can only tell me that "it doesnt have cam and crank sensors" so i guess im not going to take the risk, ughhh this makes me mad :mad:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Velocity:

Unfortunately, I'm not 100% sure about this, but as I understand in the 91's to the early 93's had the cam sensor in the head and the late 93 and on had the crank sensor. Again, I'm not sure, but I think if you just modify the wires, you can use either senor and it will still give the right signal to the ECU. I wish I was more sure of this (I can't say I'm more than 50% sure), but I know mostly people have installed 2nd gen engines on 1st gen cars and have been successful.

Ron

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Look on the J-Spec engine for a VIN. It should be on the rear bank around where the tranny bolts up close to the motor mount if it is an original motor. If it's a replacment engine, it should have a number on the front bank near the front motor mount. Get the VIN, if it has one, and post it here and I will tell you what year car it is from.

Chris

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Maybe

I would keep the newer engine if it come with all of the accessories like timing cover, transmission stays, crank angle sensor and oil pan. you are basically doing a 4-bolt main conversion. See my webpage for details:

http://members.aol.com/johnmonnin/6fourbolt1.html

You can install your old heads on your new block. I had a local shop redo my heads for $320 this was to grind all of the valves and replace 2 that were bent.

If you want to keep the new heads you can rewire the crank angle sensor to connect to the front of the block.
It has been done before on a NA but wiring should be the same for TT, BUT the details are not 100% clear. See this thread

http://209.58.199.225/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=52813

Ken Middaugh "[email protected]" is also looking into doing this. He thought it would work but I don't think he was confident enough to actually try it yet. I think It will work too but I can't prove it.

J-specs are also getting very hard to get so you maybe able to sell it for what you paid for it. Personally the only reason I could see for getting a J-spec is the 13G turbos, otherwises its just a used engine.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i asked the guy for the VIN number and he said he didnt have it! i thought about checking it on carfax.com so i could make sure it was a 93 but he kept telling me "they come from japan i dont know about the VIN number" so i just said fuck it and told him to send me my money back, now i have to look around again to get a decent price on a used 93 n/a blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh anyone have any suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts