Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is a pretty generic question so I though I would put it to you first.

I want to get som 4"-6" off road lights/fog lights for my wifes jeep, I don't know what I am going to get yet, but when I do get them I want to wire them so that they can only be swithced on when the running lights or the headlights are on . Kind of like most other cars. does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
AGT

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Use a standard automotive relay and connect the wires like this:

85 - ground
86 - from toggle switch
30 - to battery +, fuse properly
87 - to fog lights +

Connect the toggle switch to your parking light wire (or any interior light that comes on with parking lights) and the other end to #86 on the relay. The relay is best housed underhood so the high current has the shortest run possible. The wires for terminals 30 and 87 should be thick, 10 gauge is idea. The others can be 16 or 18 gauge. Be sure to cover terminal 87a of the relay as it has constant 12v when the relay is off.

The fog lights are grounded individually at their mounting location.

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I connect the lead from #30 on the relay to the battery, do I just use an in-line fuse, will that work?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
An inline fuse is fine. Dont' go over 30 amps though - that's the limit of the relay anyway.

·
your mom
303 Posts
10 guage for <20 Amps... overkill? I guess better safe than sorry. Also consider this, if you do mount your relay under the hood (which I would recommend as opposed to running the extra wire through your firewall) don't forget bosch relays are not weatherproof by any means. Place them high and dry somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts