Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I replace the fog lamp bulbs on this thing? I am trying to replace the factory fog lights on a 1992 Stealth. There is a Phillips head screw that appears to hold the lens in place, but it doesn't work in any way I have ever seen. There is also a twist off cover on the back of the fog lamp housing -- that cover seems to not be the key to replacing the bulb either.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did this once on a 1993 SL without active aero. I didn't have to remove the entire fog lamp from the front of the car. I first removed the black plastic cover at the rear of the foglamp, just turn it about a quarter turn and you should be able to pull it off. Once removed, I used a mirror to see inside the housing, look for a circular spring clip that is inside a round hole. That clip holds the H3 halogen bulb in place. Remove the clip by squeezing the two ends together, the ends are partly outside of the round hole that holds the bulb. When you squeeze the ends of the retaining clip together, gently pull the clip, the other end of the clip is attached to the housing. After that, you can pull the bulb out.

Caution: Please do not touch the new halogen bulb with your fingers! The oil on your hands will get cooked on the bulb and shorten the life of the bulb. Also, you might want to stay with the 55 watt factory type bulb. If you get high wattage bulbs, they will get too hot and burn out quickly.

When you insert the new bulb, look for a notch cut into the circular flat metal plate that holds the glass bulb. That notch must fit into the insert inside the hole where the bulb sits, if you don't get it seated properly, the retaining clip for the bulb will not snap back into position. Once seated, position the retaining clip in the hole and snap it into the lock. Then attach the wires and you are all set.

Once you get used to working backwords because of the mirror, it's a pretty easy repair. Hope this helps :)

Brian

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
Does any one know how to get the fog lamp off? I want to put another little bulb in the housing, and taking off the lamp would be the only way I could get it done.

Jason
Stealth R/T TT

·
Registered
410 Posts
Make sure,that you don't go to the dealer to replace it.
I learned my lesson,two months ago
175 $ can,which is about 110 U$,bulb by itself was 125 $ can.

milan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts