Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the shop and got a new flowmaster muffler inplace of the stock system which was stuck in tour mode. It sounds incredible, just what I wanted. It does drone a little, but I don't mind. You could not wipe the smile off of my face :) I used a 3" in/out "40 series" muffler which is their original design. They have quieter ones but I love this one. I am going to Foxwood's so some of you guys will hear it. The guy cut the 3" pipe right before the rear axle and installed the new pipe and muffler from there back. He put a slant cut pipe out the back but I am going to make my own tip soon. I am going for a drive again :)

Later,

Kevin

K

·
0 Posts
Yes sir, I'm am looking forward to hearing it Friday night when you, Trent, and I cruise down to High Street together. We're gonna turn some heads and make some noise. Oh yeah and I'll probably hear it the whole way up to Conn. since you have the directions and a TT(those damn turbos). Ha well glad you like it.

Derrick

·
3si Member #46
581 Posts
How much did it cost to have it put on and do you have a tt or non turbo?

i am looking at a 40 series for my sohc stealth

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the muffler ($89) and the labor was $100. My car is a 91 Stealth TT. It's weird, the mufflers are loud around 1000-3000 but when the boost builds it quiets down. Could just be the turbos drowning out the mufflers. It's a beautiful sound.... drove around tonight for an hour just to hear the mufflers.

Later,

Kevin

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It's therefore only single sided, right ? And why didn't you go with a little longer pipe directly after the cat. Makes no sense to me to keep the bottlenecks in the path.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I see it there is only one bottleneck in the exhaust, the down pipe. It's less than 3" when it goes into the rear cat. After the cat. it is 3". I have 3" pipe from the axle back.... where did I create a bottle neck? The pipe is the same diameter from the cat back to the tip !

Later,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The inside diameter of the stock exhaust is 2 1/2" and there is a resonator before the rear diff. Consider a replacement pipe for this stuff as well when you do the y-pipe.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Sure I trust you but then the stuff isn't stock. Do you have the manual or CD handy ? If so just look at the exhaust system and you know what I mean. The cat outlet IS 2 1/2 .... trust me, haha. This is why the ATR has a reducement flange ... Have a look on my homepage with the pictures of the Borla installation where you can see it. Inside dia IS 2 1/2" .. fact for all TT.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I have a 95 VR4 and trust me Roger is absolutely correct. I just changed my downpipe recently and saw the reducement flange he is talking about. Unfortunately, my downpipe (3" out) does not reduce, so its a little mismatched, but it bolts right up anyway, even if the hole diameters do not.

Sam 95 VR4

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roger,

Just happen to have my manual in my car here at work. Looked at it and you are right on the fact that it is 2 1/2" at the converter but go 2 inches past the convertor it goes to 3". If I would have extended the new 3" pipe front I would have still had to neck it down in the same place to meet the convertor. The pipe the guy used is 3" exhaust tubing, and he welded it directly to the old pipe so there is no way the pipe is 2 1/2" ID. (1/4" wall... no way) A few days ago I laid under the car and measured the pipe with a caliper. Before the axle the pipe was a little more than 3" OD. This is the stock pipe for 91.... has the same clamps shown in the book. It also in the same condition as the old muffler and pipes so it was never changed.
Maybe my car was a fluke or they just did it that way in 91.. I don't know. Just trust me.. hehe. I did not create any restrictions in the system and could not have eliminated any without removing the cat. The car runs better and sounds incredible. Be happy for me !

Take care,

Kevin

Oh... did you get my e-mail about the datalogger and the boost controller?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Hey Kev, I think we have a confusion here and I think I know why but we'll keep this offline.

A mail to me ?? If I haven't answered it during the last three days then I never got one or ... it was flushed accidentially. Just resend it today as I'm at home this evening ;-)

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Here's the confusion ... california car and other ! The Cali cars (and our EU ones) do have a small resonator muffler in the pipe. Yours does not have this exhaust blocking thing and therefore you were right ! Besides of this I learned that the diameter of the piping stuff changes from 2 1/2" at the cat to 3" and back to 2 1/2". This is probably done to remove resonances (called exhaust tuning). My Borla doesn't have this changes and is droning like hell !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts