Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy I know is trying to convince me that it is cheap, easy and really sweet to have flames come out of your exhaust like in Fast and the Furious. Is he right, is it easy, I don't want to do it, but I want to prove him wrong. Anyone know anything about it or how to do it, etc etc.
Thanks!

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
its actually a pretty old Hot rodder trick but its simple and not very expensive. basically putting a spark plug in the exhaust and run with no cats. also you get bigger flames if u run a lil on the rich side.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flames

Has anyone ever done it, does it really work?

·
Registered
606 Posts
yeah, it works, i've seen it done quite a few times. in fact here in MI at one of the many many cruises durring the summer there are often flame-thrower competitions and what not. anyhow, just get your car runing really rich and get a straight-through exhaust on it and then you don't have to buy any extra spark-plugs, the heat from the exhaust ignites the unburnt fuel and voila, you've got occasional flames.

*post edited to note what should've been obvious sarcasm:rolleyes: *

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
From what I know, it only works on Carbureted cars. But that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I know you have to remove your cats, and I've heard of attaching another spark plug (run it off the 5th cylinder on old chevy V8's). I'm sure if you run rich enough, you can probably do it with a spark plug and a straight through exhaust system. Personally, I like my bumper paint. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flame

So has anyone with a stealth or 3000gt tried it, and how did they do it. I am just curious as to what it is like.

·
The Blank Man
1,161 Posts
You COULD just put a fuel injector and a sparkplug in line inside the pipe, that should work

·
Hunter of Fords
260 Posts
trick for flames

there is a setup you can buy (dont remember quite where) but here is basics.

seperate coil mounted in back of car (run hot wire to it) drill hole in exhaust and mount spark plug in each side of exhaust. need a momentary switch hooked up that kills power to your distributor. you rev the motor really high, push the switch, it kills the spark in the motor, sparks the exhaust and all the gas flows right through the exhaust and out the back, plugs fire and wallah, flames. the kill kit is like 70 bux for an hei ignition (it kills till the rpms drop to like 1000 then reignites and stuff) but that is the basics to it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
rx-7s will do it w/o any mods at all other than a free flow exhaust. The cars run a little ritch, the fuel accumulates in the dunk style mufflers, and wen you hit the gas, the heat coming down the straight pipes will ignite the fuel.

This happened to Marry Monti's Rx-7 one night (or so I have heard). Shot a fireball out the back that was large enough to burn the entire rear panel of his car and damage the car behind him.

·
648 Posts
Check this out. All you need is raw power and no cats for flames to appear...

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Anyone have a potato launcher? I do. I am thinking that it works on the same principle. Why couln't we put a igniter (like the one one your BBQ grill) in the exhaust pipe and hook it up to a remote of some sort. I think it would be really cool to shoot flames.

·
Registered
666 Posts
matt92vr4 said:
Anyone have a potato launcher? I do. I am thinking that it works on the same principle. Why couln't we put a igniter (like the one one your BBQ grill) in the exhaust pipe and hook it up to a remote of some sort. I think it would be really cool to shoot flames.
That's actually almost the principle behind it(Except for people who decide to make their own ghetto contraptions). I can't remeber a tuner off the top of my head, but the system is actually a small propane tank either mounted in your trunk or in a box outside the car. When activated propane is released into the exhaust a little after the main cat and an ignitor (almost looks like a spark plug but acts more like a glow plug) detonates the gas giving you the flame effect. It's actually a pretty cheap system to buy, and that's why I wonder why people try to make their own ghetto flame throwers.

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
heh.

"oooh! Pretty button"

*click*

*BOOOOOM!*

"ah shit, we're gonna die"

·
Registered
871 Posts
There is a guy in a honda in town that shoots flames. He uses nitrous to start the flame. It looks BAD!!!!I would like to do that too!:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well u could always just buy a cut-out and install it before it hits ur cats that way there is no restriction and u get flames......my buddy did it to his tahoe.....flames are pretty big.......also another friend did it in his LT1 camaro.....cut-out are real cheap too..like 30 bucks or something

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's Japanese!

There's a kit in Japan, it's called "Dragon Fire," gives you everything you need to do it. Look it up in Options or any of the low-rider Japanese mags, I can't read Japanese but I had a friend translate a bit of it. Don't know how much it costs, either, but it's pretty cool, long-ass flame about three feet long coming out of a Honda Integra in the ad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where?

So where can you buy one of these kits that several people have mentioned? That way it is not some homemade thing that is crappy. I am now kinda interested in buying one.

·
corporate slave
700 Posts
assuming i got the main cat off, how do i make it run rich?

·
Member #538
1,280 Posts
What you need to do this is a nitrous solenoid, coil, spark plug wire and a spark plug. You use the nitous solenoid to spray raw gas from the tank into the exhaust. Wire the coil and the solenoid to the same switch and there you have it. If you don't spray the extra fuel then you get flames that oscilate with the RPM's, this way the flames are much longer and constant.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What does it mean to run your car rich?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts