Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so, i've never done this before and probably made myself look like an idiot, but i went to the track and decided to see what my car can do - i had everything in my car (subs, amps, seats, full tank of gas, papers flying around the back seat - that sort of thing.) and i had no idea what the light sequence was - i just knew i was supposed to go on green :)

i don't have the slips in front of me, but here's what i remember

1st run:
r/t 1.32 (bad, i know)
1/4 13.68
mph 92 (didn't know where the finish line was, so i let off the gas a bit early)

2nd run:
r/t 1.02
1/4 13.62
mph 100

ok, so, the second time, i did a bit better, but both of the people i ran next to moved before the green light, so are you supposed to anticipate or something? ok, any advice on how tracks work would be appreciated. thanks
Matt

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i knew i was going to get my ass kicked when i stepped out of my car while i was in line to race and the whole place smelled like an airport (everyone running aviation gas and me on my pump gas!)

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
That is not too bad. I think what you smelled was a bunch of people running no cats and racing (100-octance) fuel. What were your sixty foot times like? Your ET is dependent upon that.

As for launching, just go when you see the second to last light go on. That should get you in the .6 to .8 area. Oh, and the reatcion time has nothing to do with your 1/4 mile time. You could run a 13.5 @100-mph if you had a .4 reaction time or a 50-second R/T. :D Good luck!

·
aint scared of no snake
259 Posts
them times are not that bad at all for a first time! What was your 60' time? good runs, and keep practicing, i suspect lower #'s should come.

·
aint scared of no snake
259 Posts
god, fasst Ln you just had to send your reply out before me didnt you? J/K!!:D looks like were thing on the same track:cool:

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
Boss is not at work today so my replies are pretty quick! :D:D Actually it is just a slow Monday around here.

·
5,179 Posts
My first time I let off early too and ran a 14 something :) The second time was a 13.7 with a 2.2- 60' time. Third was a 13.6 with a 2.1- 60' so your first time could have been worst, but that was with a boost leak. (Only 10psi max)

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
thats pretty good for first time out. my first time out i ran a low low 14.

·
Registered
557 Posts
ahhh,I don't think so,definetly not aviation fuel,jet fuel is a higher refined diesel,would kill your motor real quick,unless of course u have a diesel,they love it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
if u don't believe me,read my profile:D

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is a difference between avgas and jet fuel. avgas is nothing more than 100LL fuel - works in cars. jet fuel is kerosene... definately does not work in cars. i grew up at airports and the smell at the track was exactly the same.
Matt

·
Registered
557 Posts
avgas,jetfuel,jp-5,jp-8,jp-4,all basically the same,exept flash points,specific gravity...etc

·
Registered
557 Posts
hey matt,read your profile,iam a ad2,think i should know huh!!!!! :D

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
avgas is NOT the same as jet fuel - and yes, you SHOULD know that! :) avgas (the general aviation, 100 octane low lead, kind) works in cars - in fact there are some airplanes that can run on either car gas or avgas.
Matt

·
Registered
557 Posts
o.k,u are talkin about reciprocating engine fuel,got confused when u said avgas thought u just really meant jet fuel....many a hick have put that in their cars thinkin they will "takeoff":D :rolleyes: Where are u training?what platform do u want to fly?

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm going to pensacola in Dec, and i'll be flying a T-34C until they give me an F-18 to play with :) but right now, i am just flying around in my dad's debonair whenever i am home on weekends.
Matt

·
Registered
557 Posts
p-3's 4 me=no carriers and perdiem!!!!!:D ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
like i said i'am a AD2,aviation machinists mate second class,graduated high school in 96'',guess i should get off my ass and get some college so i can become a hot shot like u are going to be:D

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
academy will take you until 23, and after looking at your profile, you're still eligible. i was going to ask what an ad2 was - didn't click - that's cool. get some college and go fly.
Matt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts