Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I totally expected to lose this race. Now, onto the tale:

I just got home for Thanksgiving Break from GT. Not having seen my car in a while, I decided to take it for a little spin. As I'm cruising over to Jonesboro on Hwy-54, I see this red Talon with no license plate two cars up and forgot all about them - for about 5 minutes. After turning onto Hwy-19/41N, this Talon pulls up next to me with two people in it and starts jumping. I roll my window down and OMG! I know this guy. This is the guy from high school who wrapped his entire Laser around a telephone poll! Apparently this guy likes DSM's. Well, as he's jumping, I hear that beautiful beautiful hiss. Sweet music to my ears, its a turbo. We catch a red light at the Hwy-138 crossing and me and the passenger start chatting and scanning for cops. I hadn't planned on a race, but what the hell. He pulls out a HandyCam and says he likes my car and wants to see what she can do. I shake my head and tell him that I hear that BOV and I'm a N/A ATX and it won't be pretty. He said "We're FWD and fuck it, you're still a fast car." As we're prepping for the light to turn, I start trying to power brake and realize I've never actually done this before. I tach it up to about 2500-2800 RPM's and when the light changes I'm gone. I get very little wheel hop :D and look over and he's BEHIND ME! I hear him shift out of first with the car jumping and that beautiful BOV. He gets up to my rear tires. At about 60 mph (in a 45) he shifts again into 3rd gear with his car hopping and that BOV whistle (right about as I'm finishing out my 2nd gear). Once he hit 3rd gear, he jumped up to about a quarter length, leaving his rear bumper even with my front. As my ATX shifts from 2nd to 3rd, he starts to pull away then shuts down. I look down and doing just over 70mph (which coincides with the gears just shifting). We shut down cause Clayton Co. Cops aren't known for their kindness. We wave off and I turn around and head back home. A loss? Yes. A thrill? Yes. Did I have him in 1st and 2nd gears? Yes.

I just can't wait til next summer to redo the entire exhaust on this SOB. :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
woohoo, go Talon!...errr, i mean, sorry to hear you lost;)

good race man, is your car a DOHC or SOHC? if its a SOHC auto, then im downright stunned that you did that well. if its a DOHC, then you still did pretty good.

well, have fun and keep it safe. later

chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DOHC

Thanks for the compliment. I'm a DOHC. Just a sidenote, any Stealth besides the Base is a DOHC. All pre-97 3KGT's are DOHC. And all non-Base 97+ 3KGT's are DOHC. (look ma! i learned sumthin!) ;)

- Ryan

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah, i got the Mitsu's nailed down, but the 1st gen NT stealths kinda get cofusing, i thought all ES's were SOHC with the ~167 hp rating.
anyhow, good job, especially with the auto.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I thought the ES's were DOHC???????

But nonetheless good run man. Get an exhaust on that bitch so you can improve your High - End. HEHE...:D

·
Registered
678 Posts
lemme get this straight, you looked down and you were going a little over 70 after second gear? my auto will pull up to about 85 in second. odd.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
Lost: 3 of 4 races

Thrilled: 4 of 4 races

When you win it's like 10 fold the thrill of racing and losing

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gearing

Cheek -

I looked up the gearing in my car manual. It states not to take 2nd gear over 71mph. Since I wasn't shifting it from L->2->D, I would assume the computer would comply to such factory statements. Course, mine is 5 years older than yours. Who knows.

·
Registered
678 Posts
that means that your transmission wont downshift into second at anything above 71 mph, go ahead and do some freeway accelleration tests in PWR mode. normal full throttle accelleration from a stop in D (there is no use in shifting manually - it's proven) will run 2nd gear to around 6600-6700 rpm, which is around 83 or so mph. you're not getting the full potential of your car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Misreading

-eh- :shrugs shoulders: maybe I misread that SOB. I've gotta make a trip back up to Tech tomorrow for some SWARM stuff (gotta get front row spots for Saturday's GT/UGA Game, GO TECH!) And while I'm heading up there I'll do some high spot running and see how she fares. If she pulls 2nd up to ~80mph then I suppose everything is hunky-dory. Using a little extrapolation from the ATX vs 5-speed Gear Ratios and Jeff Lucius's site with speed graphs, I can see the ATX 2nd gear going up to 80-ish mph.

- Ryan

·
Registered
678 Posts
hey man, good luck...btw, what year are you at GT?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GT

I'm currently a lowly Freshman CompE major. But, I'll have 36 hours of credit after only one semester, so I think I'm on the right track. :D

- Ryan

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yes it has been proven that Manually Shifiting or Downshifting your ATX will not improve your speed it infact may even harm you when it comes to racing. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2nd Gear

Well, I know ALL of you were overly concerned about my second gear, but apparently cheek is right. On my way out to lunch today, I tached her up Hwy-92N and sure enough 2nd gear held until about 82-84mph. Just wanted to update that the beast has 129,400+ miles and still running a strong stock.

- Ryan

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
4u2nv said:
I thought the ES's were DOHC???????

But nonetheless good run man. Get an exhaust on that bitch so you can improve your High - End. HEHE...:D
they are, all ES's are DOHC

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have a couple questions..

pardon my ignorance, but i am a newby to this site, and i dont know that much about sports cars, mostly muscle cars.. anyway, these abbreviations i am not familiar with yet...

BOV
N/A ATX
BPU

Can anyon help me out? Also, i will probabiy come across more abbreviations i do not know, so if someone can list the ones used the most on the site, that would be great...

·
Registered
467 Posts
BOV- blow off valve. Turbo cars only.

N/A ATX- Normally aspirated(non turbo) with automatic transaxle.

BPU- basic power upgrades, i.e. Intake, cat back exaust, and boost controller.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts