Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
homeiswheretheturbosare!
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can normaly only get into first gear when i'm stoped i dunno if its normal or not and it dosent feel right doing anything in second gear when under 20mph is there something wrongwith my car what should I look at?

1995 VR4 STOCK

·
Registered
683 Posts
First....I'm no mechanic...

I think all the Mitsubishi's I have ever had are that way. I think the inability to throw your car into 1st gear is to protect you /the driver from screwing up your tranny.

I could be wrong......any technically sounds people have a better answer than mine? (I'm sure you do:) )

·
Ero Sennin
290 Posts
i hate that shit too

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is a gate that locks so that you don't accidentally shift to first from any other gear. The downside is that you have to use 2nd sometimes, the upside is that you don't accidentally hit first gear when aiming for 3rd.

Think of first gear just like you'd think of Reverse, you can only go into it if you're stopped. You can go into first if you put in the clutch, let it slow down a little. Just be patient.

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
my 1st gen tranny works like a charm... and then i go drive my gf's 94 and..... i hate that freakin tranny! i'll take my slut shifter (her words :)) over a super-tight-six-speed-that-i-can't-get-into-first-unless-i-am-stopped tranny any day.
Matt

·
Registered
74 Posts
it's your tranny not the car. I thought that two after owning 2 awd gsx eclipses, now i own a gvr-4 and it goes into first at any speed. I really don't think hitting first would be easy without wanting to. the 3/s maybe different but i think lookin to the tranny some. It is nice to be able to hit first when you want second is often too steep for low low speeds. Anyway look into Gm Syncromesh or Bg sycroshift fluids i think they make a world of difference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know this is a whack question, but where do you put in the transmission oil? I actually feel like quite the idiot for asking, but this has puzzled me for some time.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Allows the car to have a warranty, keeping morons from shifting into 1st gear at 50mph and wiping out the synchros. Almost all manual transmissions won't allow you to shift into 1st at anything higher than about 15mph. And for good reason too, Imagine winding it out in 2nd and power shifting to third and missing the gate and going into first. a 6 grand shift to 1st would cause the rpms to wind way past 10k and would likely damage your motor in several places. Better to have the synchromesh transmission that doesn't allow you to shift where you can do the most damage.
Guess the factory boys were looking out for themselves this time, otherwise they'd be paying for trannies under warranty alot more often.

LW

·
Street Master
821 Posts
Lord Warlock said:
Allows the car to have a warranty, keeping morons from shifting into 1st gear at 50mph and wiping out the synchros. Almost all manual transmissions won't allow you to shift into 1st at anything higher than about 15mph. And for good reason too, Imagine winding it out in 2nd and power shifting to third and missing the gate and going into first. a 6 grand shift to 1st would cause the rpms to wind way past 10k and would likely damage your motor in several places. Better to have the synchromesh transmission that doesn't allow you to shift where you can do the most damage.
Guess the factory boys were looking out for themselves this time, otherwise they'd be paying for trannies under warranty alot more often.

LW
I did that in my mustand when I first got it.... It didn't over rev, or hurt the trany, just killed my whole clutch assimbly

·
Native
3,894 Posts
Double clutching is the key, there is no "gate lockout" on these cars

·
Registered
531 Posts
keeping morons from shifting into 1st gear at 50mph and wiping out the synchros. Almost all manual transmissions won't allow you to shift into 1st at anything higher than about 15mph. And for good reason too, Imagine winding it out in 2nd and power shifting to third and missing the gate and going into first. a 6 grand shift to 1st would cause the rpms to wind way past 10k and would likely damage your motor in several places.
Didn't I just say that exactl same thing about 3 posts earlier?

·
3SX FTL
3,988 Posts
For any downshift:

1. Clutch in, shift into neutral, clutch out.
2. Rev engine until engine speed is what it would be in the gear you want to shift into.
3. Clutch in, shift into the gear, clutch out.

So, if I'm in 5th, doing 60 and want to shift into 2nd, I clutch in, shift into neutral, clutch out, rev up to 5800rpm, clutch in, shift into 2nd, clutch out. You may use this method to downshift into any gear, at any speed, as long as you don't try to shift into a gear that will bring the engine rpms above redline (i.e. as long as you don't try to shift into 1st at 80).

But,as Turbo Tension correctly said, there is not 1st gear lockout on our transmissions. As long as you've spun up the engine to the correct speed, you should be able to shift into the gear more easily than usual.

Clint Fralick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts