Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got some tires off tirerack.com and had firestone put them on this weekend. they also did an alignment and inspection. after they finished on the way home. i notice my oil temp gauge going crazy. the needle is in the red and even goes past the red :eek: . i make it home, pop the hood and white steam/smoke is coming out around the timing belt area. could firestone have accidently disconnected something to my car? i have a hard time believing this is some amazing coincidence. my car had never done this before and then as soon as these guys touch it.... anyone know what the problem could be?

thanx
matt

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Sounds like waterpump related, especially if its near the timing belt area.

You said Oil Pressure temp? Do you mean the water temp gauge or oil pressure gauge?

It sounds like your reffering to the water temp, in that case I'd say you've got a bad waterpump, it may have decided to crack or something and that explain why the steam came from that region.

if your mechanically inclined you can remove the drivers side wheels, take off the timing belt cover and everyhting and take a look in there and see what you can find out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, i meant the left most of the 3 center gauges

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Yep, thats your temp gauge...

I'd point the finger at your waterpump if steam was comig from that area and if water was leaking out too...

It could also be much cheaper/easier fix. Your thermostat might be bad as well...that wears with time and tends to go out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanx alot. iam at school now but when i go back home for thanksgiving ill investigate the source. could it have caused any other damage? it drove perfectly fine.

matt

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
NEVER...............Take your car to FireStone!

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Overheating can cause some serious damage, but you'd more than likely know if that happend. Things liek blowing gaskets and melting pistons and such if it ran too hot and a host of other problems. If its started steaming up and you stopped the car and let it cool, chances are your okay. I woudl check out the water pump and thermostat. Then do a coolant flush and fill it up with clean coolant and you shoud be fine. If its jsut the thermostat that is bad, you'll probably spend $40 for a new one from a parts shop and be good to go!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Severly overheating your motor can cause damage in a number of ways, some of them not showing up until sometime later. When your car started heating up you should have shut it down and not kept driving it. That's why you have gauges, to let you moniter the motor's running condition. If nothing more happens now you may likely still have shortened the life of your motor.

You don't have an "oil temp" gauge. For your own good you should learn what your gauges are, what an abnormal reading is and what it means, and how you should react. For example if you had lost all oil pressure and still driven because you wanted to get home rather than deal with it then your motor would likely be toast.

Take your car to someone who can check out the implications of what you've done to it and learn some basics yourself before you do something that costs a lot of money if you haven't already. :)

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
As said before, if your temp gauge shot through the roof, and steam was coming off the drivers side of the engine, then your water pump most likely failed or sezied.

In either case, you will have to have most of the belts replaced. The coolant and steam will shorten the lifespan of the timing belt, so since they are in there replacing the pump, have them put new belts on.

As for total damage, heat and friction are to two partners that wear engine surfaces. Oil and Water are used to remove heat, and Oil is used to minimize friction. ANY time you take away either, everything goes FUBAR. The oil needs the water to help it stay within a certain temperature range, to maximize lubricative properties; as the temp climbs, the oil becomes too thin, and thermal breakdown occurs. (ie, your oil shears, and nothing is protected)

This is most likely what happened to your engineat that point.

As Czar indicated, the guages are there for a reason. As soon as they come on, if you don't know what's going on, you're pushing your engine quicker than normal towards it's death.

Starting saving for a rebuild. At the least, you've probably taken at least 10-20k miles off the life of your engine. Maybe more.

At the worst... you're 5k miles from a rebuild. :eek:

Good Luck dude...

Elton

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx for the replies. when i saw the gauge i pulled into a parking lot and let it cool for a little while then drove 5-10mi home. ill have the car looked at when i get home to see if i did any serious damage. its another learning experience to my always growing list.

matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts