Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just installed my fipk air intake today. I started the car and it makes a noticable sucking sound. Is this normal or do i have an air leak around the seal. I wanted to know before I take a post-turkey cruise. Happy Thanksgiving.
98 3KGT SL

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
yep, perfectly normal. I was kind of surprised at how loud it is, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What makes any 1 intake better than any other intake?
some guys talk on k&r intakes, then you see Intakes on ebay all day long, and I personaly never heard of a fipk air intake but most people give them rave reviews, so Whats the difference between a $25.00 ebay intake that connects to the end by the MAS, and any other intake?
I know some are modified to go down by the porthole in the bumper but other than that is there a big performance difference between intakes ?!?!
and if so, what to look for when intake shopping ?? Dont Most just give you like 1hp to the wheels no-matter what ??

My friend has a Talon Tsi (?!) And he paid like $300.00 for an INJEN intake and swears it gives him 5hp to the wheels, and I guess they come with a dyno sheet taylored to your spefic car to prove it [email protected]
Please assist me, seeing as how I now feel dumb, but haven't bought an intake yet, so My dumb-ness can be corrected before I make an intake mistake.

·
peopleofwalmart.com
1,709 Posts
Most of the "gain" received from an open element intake is that it is not in a box with a little opening for the air to go in.

Most any open element filter will be good as long it doesn't let in too large of a particle, think dust.

I saw a honduh with just a piece of screen where the filter should be. I can only imagine what the oil looks like in that car.

The only other gain to be had is ram-air or cold-air.
Engines that pull timing when they get too hot will benefit from colder air entering into them.
This will also help stave off knock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts