Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
For those who have gutted your pre-cats, what did you use to smooth the outer edges of the pipe? I used a flat tip as much as I could, but still have ridges.

C

·
0 Posts
I don't know if it makes a noticable difference or not. One would think that you'd need to but don't know if it's a big deal

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Guys, think it does. I am going to find a warm shop and take off my downpipe again and use some massive sanding on the stuff that is left. use a grinder or a round sander on a drill, or even just sand paper around a screwdriver handle. get it smooth and we will be happier.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I have driven my car for a few weeks now without the two cats in (front pre-cat and rear main cat). I did not gut the rear pre-cat, so this may be the reason, but I think the car was quicker with the cats in. Especially at higher speeds. I raced a 98/99 T/A yesterday, and although my car was much louder, it did not accelerate as fast past 80. I also used alot more fuel on the total 200 mile trip. I also gapped my plugs lower to about .038 and do not get misfire anymore. I am a little disappointed with the car because the new LS1 f-bodies cost about 1/3 less, and on the street, I have to work pretty hard to shake one. I have to resort to using the VR4s superior handling to weave my my to victory. I am running 14.5-15 psi on stock turbos with a K&N and the other afformentioned exhaust mod with stock cat back. To get some satisfaction, it looks like $3000 turbos, $2000 intercoolers, $1000 fuel computer, $1000 for injectors and a pump. The engine would probably only last one year like this-then we are looking at $2000 pistons, $1000 rods, $2000 for head work and prob $2000 for labor, since I have no facilities to do this work. Then I need good brakes=$2000. Maybe $16,000 later, I will be satisfied-pretty depressing.

Sam 95 VR4 -contemplations for the future!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hey, Sam, I feel your pain.

I was a little unhappy with my car as well at first because the mildly-modded Talon (K&N, boost, turbo-back exhaust)it replaced seemed considerably quicker especially in first and second.

Now I'm up to a K&N, ATR downpipe, ATR cat-back, boost controller, and gutted pre-cats (no main cat till inspection time in May). That leveled the playing feild a lot, but I'm still not convinced it has a clear off-the-line advantage over the Talon.

My turbos are being rebuilt into 15Gs as I type this (for $1,150, not $3,000 like you quoted) and the guy is porting my exhaust manifolds as well. I'll keep you all posted but I really hope that after all this money I can finally say its quicker than my old car! Incidentally, once I have my anticipated fuel upgrades done, I'll have more $$$ in mods to my Stealth than I sold my Talon for :-(

Okay, now that I've got all that off my chest...
I LOVE MY CAR! Looks, handling, stlye, comfort, etc, etc, beat the Talon (and most other cars in my opinion) hands down! Try to let that be your consolation Sam!

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
OKAY! Now someone admits it! Where are you getting the Conversion???? I WANT 15G's! and at $1,150 I can deal with it. Where, phone, how long to wait? Name address anything?!?!?! PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts