Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Oh no, not again.
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it...after much searching, I settled on the Florida Firefighter design and it rocks...I would definately recommend it for the N/A guys. now, on to bigger and better projects...:D

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I know that FireFighter has a DynoMax Muffler if I am not mistaken and it splits to the pipes and out to the tips. But what diameter is the piping????

Thanx man, and good luck with the exhaust. Try to put up some sound files if you can. ;)

·
Oh no, not again.
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used 3" piping from the cat to the muffler (I used a Flowmaster 50 Series) then 2.5" piping out to four 3" tips.

I'll get some sound files as soon as I get a good recording:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Thats great man, did you notice any loss at Low - End???? and how is your Top - End now??? Thanx man...I really need to know cuz I cant make up my damn mind concerning my diameter piping.:cool:

·
Oh no, not again.
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To tell you the truth, I havn't been able to test my car out. It's been raining and everytime I try to test out low-end, my tires just spin. So, I'm going to wait until everything dries out around here.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Thats cool man just keep us posted or PM me. Thanx for helping. ;) you know how difficult it is to choose an exhaust system. ;)

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
I'd like to see pics of the set-up. Where did you get it and how much?

·
og
4,293 Posts
munkey, great set-up neh? i went with 2.25" from the muffler back, otherwise system is the same, same 50 series muffler and dual 3" tips, is yours a delta flow or standard muffler? i went with the delta, i like the way it sounds. well hope you enjoy your new exhaust, post up your thoughts after ya get to test it out. safe travels.

- mike

p.s. may have some downpipe info for us come monday, shh don't tell anybody ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
4u2nv wrote
Thats great man, did you notice any loss at Low - End???? and how is your Top - End now??? Thanx man...I really need to know cuz I cant make up my damn mind concerning my diameter piping.
4u2nv,
I'm in the market for an exhaust system as well and I'm experiencing the same dillemma as you. Not sure what diameter piping to go with 'cause I don't want to lose too much low-end torque. Even though high-end might improve, most driving is done at the low-end, so it's very important that I don't lose any power there. What to do, what to do...:confused:

·
og
4,293 Posts
zc3000,

i don't think you'll lose as much low-end as you might believe, i did not notice a significant decrease but my top end is nice. regarding daily driving, while it is true that you might notice a slight decrease (but not likely), when you race you stay in high rpms so after the initial launch you are rarely below 4k rpms, all top end. i highly recommend the 3" into dual 2.25" altho i am curious about what munkey has to say once he's tested his dual 2.5" piping out; at any rate, i am very pleased with this set-up. should have a hi-flow cat and bent down-pipe on shortly tho, so we'll see what kind of difference that makes.

at any rate, i was very concerned about the same situation prior to my exhaust but i learned that our cars DO NOT require backpressure so it sorta became a non-issue, after the install i have to agree that all is well, very little low-end loss and a small amount of gain up top. sounds very nice as well and it'll flow a helluva lot more air, especially if you go some forced induction route ;) well hope this helps, good luck with whatever you decide, safe travels.

- mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mike,

I'm considering to go with the exhaust system that shane_baker_19 is selling on this board. Its a 3" main pipe which splits (in "Y" form) into dual 2.5" pipes which each lead into an N1 style muffler and out a 4" outlet. It's supposed to be mandrel bent too. Can you tell me if this setup would be okay on my car('93SL)?

Where did you hear that our cars don't use backpressure? and if you can refer me to where I might learn more about why. I'm really in the dark when it comes to exhaust systems and so I need to learn a few more things before I can make a decision as to which system to go with....always better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
chansigril said:

at any rate, i was very concerned about the same situation prior to my exhaust but i learned that our cars DO NOT require backpressure so it sorta became a non-issue,
:confused: ...HELPPPPPPP MIKEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!:confused:

·
og
4,293 Posts
in conversations with geoff knight of knight turbos i learned that the backpressure is really required for carburated engines as opposed to fuel injected. i brought this topic up here, you should be able to find some conversation about it. at any rate, after some other conversation and giving it some thought it made sense to me that our engines do not require nearly as much backpressure as carburated. when i opened up my exhaust i took it to the dual 2.25" becuase i was not 100% certain but it worked out fine, i cannot say that i noticed any low end torque/hp loss and i def gained a few hp at the top end. i've run my best time since at 14.5 but dynoed at 183 fwd hp, only 15 hp or so above stock and that's with everything i have now. part of the motivation for the exhaust was also to be able to flow well after sc install however. as a stand alone mod for our cars i don't think the exhaust is worth the hp gain but it does look nice and it is necessary to maximize n2o or forced induction gains. on a side note, i'm hopefully going to be investigating a down-pipe possibility this weekend, might be nice but we shall see, i'll post up about it if it happens. well hoped this helped, safe travels.

- mike

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Well MIKE~~~If I get the MPH DownPipe and a FreeFlow CAT and remove all my resonators would it be good to use 2.5 inch from the CAT to the Magnaflow Muffler and to 2.25 all the way to the 4" tips??? :confused:

I was thinking that the DP and the FreeFlow CAT would really be a lot of passage and the 2.5 to 2.25 would decrease that as to not lose any backpressure, but would it be smarter to go from 3.0 to 2.5 or 3.0 to 2.5 or 2.5 all the way through??? :confused:

·
Oh no, not again.
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, the roads dried out today and I was able to run my car a little bit...I didn't notice any low-end torque loss and was able to tell that it pulled harder in the upper rpms. I had a friend with me, and he could tell a difference too. In fact, his direct quote was "damn, you're car's quick". As for back pressure, I've read that it doesn't matter for N/A guys, only when you get into forced induction (turbo, NOS, etc.). What I really love about the setup is the sound...it's deep, not obnoxiously loud (although I did set off a car alarm:D ) and doesn't resonate very badly in the car.

Mike - I did go with the Delta Flow series, and you get some info. on a downpipe, hook me up dude.;)

I'll get a true test Saturday when I go up against a 97 Cobra:eek: , and see how she hangs. If anybody has any questions or anything, drop me a line. Good luck on your choices.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Where do you guys get your exhasut tips? I was goign to go that route but I couldn't find any decent tips that I liked.

·
Oh no, not again.
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you want single or dual tips? There are a lot more different types of single tips, and their cheaper...just look around the net.

I went with dual tips cause I like the stock look, and just ordered them through the exhaust shop. Expensive as hell though...around $100 for chrome 2.5" inlet 3" outlet

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Single, 4in tips.. I can't find any good ones.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Group!!

Hello all... sorry I've been away!! I am glad you did the exhaust mod from my page. I could not believe the difference, particularly at low and high ends! By the way, sorry I've been away. I am one of many reservists who got called to activ duty and deployed. I managed to get to a computer here and log in (and it has MADE my 8 weeks I've been here in Hell!). I hope to return soon and become more active with the group. You all take care and keep finding ways to make our cars FASTER!!!!!

Chris Reynolds, Captain - United States Air Force
43rd EAES (DEPLOYED)
aka...FloridaFireFighter

ps.....need car magazines!! Please send to....

Captain Chris Reynolds
Operation Enduring Freedom
366 AEG/43 EAES/EMEDS-AELT
APO AE 09309

Take Care :)!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts