Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think not. I've included a couple of pictures that I took today, and the compressor wheel looks like the 9B one. Before I bought the engine I made sure that the turbos had the correct serial numbers, but it looks like I got 9B's anyway..... :-(

Jspec turbo
Close up

Aren't these 9B's ???

Oh well, at least I now have an engine that runs again! Can't wait to get back on the road!!

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Those are 13g's i think...I thought the ones with the 12 blades were the 13g's and the 9bs had like 6 blades....I could be wrong :(

-jeff

·
Registered
82 Posts
look like it to me!

The 13gs have the clipped wheel, i think.
Im no expert i might be wrong. thought i would post anyway.
sorry if i wasnt any help.
brandon;)

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Did you look at the wheels to verify this? While MHI makes and sells its Sport Turbo Upgrade (13G turbos), many aftermarket shops make 13G turbos out of stock 9B turbos. The numbers on the housing will be the sme, while the CHRA and compressor wheel will be upgraded.

Take off the intake pipe to the front turbo and look at the compressor wheel. If there are 12 blades at the same height it is the 9B. If there are 12 blades at staggered heights (may look like 6 blades at some viewing angles) you have the "homemade" 13G. Look at the pics and other info on my web page below.

http://www.geocities.com/lutransys/...-turboguide.htm

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Those wheels are 9Bs. The G series wheels have staggered height blades. The equal height blades (like the ones in the pics) are B series wheels.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Gatecrasher said:
Those wheels are 9Bs. The G series wheels have staggered height blades. The equal height blades (like the ones in the pics) are B series wheels.
so how come his "JSPEC" engine has 9b's, jeff?? i recall u said the jpn gets 13G's... =P

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Can you prove to me that's a JDM engine? ;)

Does the engine have EGR fittings and holes for O2 sensors? That's the real question :)

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
:D we'll have to ask Blown... maybe he can take more pix... i would like to get to the bottom of this... my money is on 9B's... why would Greddy and HKS have 13G's as upgrades then?? :confused:

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
those look like 9b's. My jspec turbos look different than that. Like Gatecrasher said, my blades are staggered. I don't know why some do and some don't.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Those are difinitely 9b's. The jspec engine I bought had 9b's also. It didn't have any O2 ports in the housings and it had two serial number type stickers on it typed in japanese. It was as clean as a whistle too.

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for your comments. Where else on the engine can I check to see if it actually is a JDM engine? I know I have to swap out for instance the plenum, but where on the plenum is the difference between the US and Japanese ?
I can take some more pictures tomorrow, so maybe we can figure it out. But the compressor wheel sure looks like a 9B, I'll have to agree to that.

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
What would be O2 sensor housings on the US model wouldnt' have the port for the O2 sensors on the JDM engine. So, if you look at the "rear precat" and don't see a place to put an O2 sensor, then it's a JDM version. It will also have a pre-gutted precat since they don't have precats in japan, only one main cat and one O2 sensor before it.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
yeah, what Hans said...plus, you should not have to replace the plenum. They tell you to, but I didn't.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
those are 9B's, Like all J-spec's have.
the only 13G's that would be on a jspec take out, is if the owner of the car up-graded them befor the motor was pulled...

remember j-spec cars only had 276hp, so WHY would thy put bigger turbos on a car that runs less boost (7psi) and makes less power? Think about it...

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What you're saying makes sense, Matt. I hope you can cut me a good deal on some larger turbos instead then - I'll have 2 sets of 9B's that I don't want!! :)

V

·
0 Posts
blown,
where did you get the j-spec engine?I need one too.My car is
dead right now....:(

·
Registered
893 Posts
wrong :( all Japanese GTO turbos are 13g TDO4L, if your engine is not a direct import from Japan you'll get the 9b and I know for sure. The 1gen over there is rated at 276 HP but a stock GTO 1/4 mile time is about 12.9 sec, I've many different videos shows the same time.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
Blown, does your engine have japanese writing all over it? For example, my jspec had a japanese oil filter and a japanese radiator cap.

·
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More pics today

Now you're really getting me worried here..... I'll check out the engine closer today and snap some more pics to try and determine if it in fact IS a JDM engine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts