Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Unorthodox CG

Votes: 8 44.4%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my 60k service soon and I'm thinking about changing my cam gears. which one should i go with?

Fidanza- not as reliable but on sale at 3SX for $359

Or

Unorthodox-good craftsmanship, quality but $849

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
puffe516 - I am also considering getting these sometime also. I don't know which one you should get. Maybe someone else some more info.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The Fidanza CG's are known for cracking when you torque them down to install them and htey are just not made with the same quality or craftsmanship as the Unorthodox CG's. As far as price goes, The Unorthodox CG's are usually around $800, but they work. I dont hear many people raving about the fidanza CG's, in fact all I have every heard was how they are worthless. I know Yogurt and BigKash have both personally told me that they think they are not good and wish they would have bought the Unorthodox ones. The only people that rave about the Fidanza CG's is 3SX and thats because they sell them. Also, if they are so good, how come no other 3S tuners/shops except for 3SX even offer or sell them? :confused: Trust me when I tell you, if you want cam gears, spend the extra money and get the Unorthodox ones.

Ty
Speed Factor

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Cam gears for the NA are pretty much worthless. You won't notice any real gains. Let's just put it this way, you'll notice more of gain with a $35 test pipe then you would with the $360 cam gears. You're better off spending that 360 on a DP and test pipe if you don't already have one.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll probably be "smart" about this and spend the extra money for the Unorthodox's..I've been reading alot about how unreliable Fidanza CG's are.

Thanks for your helps guys!

·
Supreme creator of stuff
3,573 Posts
what?

the fadenza's crack when you install them? is this common or do they fall victim to improperly installed? I got a set sitting in my garage ready for install but you gents are scaring me. I personally feel that the way fadenza did the little bolts fo holding the outer ring is better...your not running threads into the hub but rather a stud in way of a bolt from the back...thats what turned me on to them...800 is pricey for the other option but like I stated I have not installed them yet...I will, and most certainly keep the board posted but I would think that being they are both 6061-t6 aluminum and both hard anodized outer rings they are vurtually the same....if they break well then we know [email protected] has another project on his hands :) I would make them out of titanium in spite if they cracked and return them to fadenza in a "through the window" fashon where they were purchased.

anyone evr thought of keyslotting the stock gears at +1/-3 respectively and just use a modified proven free cam gear? I mentioned it on team3s and got little response.....seems the big consensous is +1/-3 so why not make a bolt on set-up

oooooh another idea for the masses? I will let Ty have that one..........get you book out Ty....I will be ordering that big ass list from you very soon........got a little side tracked but things are right on schedule...you still up for the order? dont want any bull over it....if you cant do it or dont want to deal with all those parts just let me know,,,your an absolute stud for doing the ground work..........

eeeeeeuuuuuuwuwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....boooooom
Ty is the bomb!

my cam gears better not crack! but for 380 bones two for the price of one seems pretty good to.......they cant all crack can they?

bob

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Re: what?

ek2mfg said:
the fadenza's crack when you install them? is this common or do they fall victim to improperly installed? I got a set sitting in my garage ready for install but you gents are scaring me. I personally feel that the way fadenza did the little bolts fo holding the outer ring is better...your not running threads into the hub but rather a stud in way of a bolt from the back...thats what turned me on to them...800 is pricey for the other option but like I stated I have not installed them yet...I will, and most certainly keep the board posted but I would think that being they are both 6061-t6 aluminum and both hard anodized outer rings they are vurtually the same....if they break well then we know [email protected] has another project on his hands :) I would make them out of titanium in spite if they cracked and return them to fadenza in a "through the window" fashon where they were purchased.

anyone evr thought of keyslotting the stock gears at +1/-3 respectively and just use a modified proven free cam gear? I mentioned it on team3s and got little response.....seems the big consensous is +1/-3 so why not make a bolt on set-up

oooooh another idea for the masses? I will let Ty have that one..........get you book out Ty....I will be ordering that big ass list from you very soon........got a little side tracked but things are right on schedule...you still up for the order? dont want any bull over it....if you cant do it or dont want to deal with all those parts just let me know,,,your an absolute stud for doing the ground work..........

eeeeeeuuuuuuwuwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....boooooom
Ty is the bomb!

my cam gears better not crack! but for 380 bones two for the price of one seems pretty good to.......they cant all crack can they?

bob
Bob, you know all ya gotta do is give me a call, and I got ya covered :)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Also, I just wanted to say that I talked with Steve at 3SX and we tried to figure out what this issue is with the fidanza CG's. Well, it appears that what is actually happening is that people are Torqueing the bolts down to hard when installing the CG's and they are snapping the bolts. However, the bolts can bge replaced. Steve told me to let everyone know, that if you have Fidanza CG's and have a problem with teh bolts, to give him a call. I cant speak on the performance of them because I have never used them, but Steve and I talked about it, and we may want to slap a set of my car so I can get some 1st hand experience with them installed and performance wise. I will let everyone know what we come up with.

Ty
Speed Factor

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Richy T. said:
What's the benefit of the aftermarket cam gears?
Nothing unless you know how to tune them, or have them tuned on a dyno.

If you have cams and head work you can rev higher by adjusting the cam gears, but with a stock valve train and stock cams it is pretty much a waste of cash. You would be better off spending that money on a cam regrind, or some headers when they come out.

It is not bolt on horespower, and imo it is a waste of money until you have done everything else.

·
Registered
'91 Stealth RT and '93 Stealth TT; sold both in 2018
582 Posts
lol,
imo it is a waste of money until you have done everything else.
; seems I said this not to long ago and got flamed by the uneducated on this board. Lift and duration is what you want, can only do that with a new cam grind. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
hostile said:

Nothing unless you know how to tune them, or have them tuned on a dyno.

If you have cams and head work you can rev higher by adjusting the cam gears, but with a stock valve train and stock cams it is pretty much a waste of cash. You would be better off spending that money on a cam regrind, or some headers when they come out.

It is not bolt on horespower, and imo it is a waste of money until you have done everything else.
I was just wondering how cam gears can allow you to rev higher?? If your rev limit is at 7000rpm, how can adjusting the cam gears raise it?? I thought it was computer controlled. I thought cam gears can shift the power curve or something like that so that you have more useable power over a certain rpm range. Please educate me. :)

·
Deal with it
3,135 Posts
Honestly, I dont think I would ever throw something in that is "not as reliable" anywheres near my timing belt.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Fidanza Cam Gears

Want to make sure everyone knows this, and Ty made mention of it- the info posted earlier by Ty on the quality of the cam gears was INCORRECT. He mistook someone talking about snapping one of the 5 outer circle adjustment bolts (which are replaceable) due to them OVERTIGHTENING TO INCORRECT TORQUE as that the gears cracked and were poor quality- This is totally UNTRUE and Ty will tell you the same.

Many of the fastest drag cars run Fidanza gears- Check out some of the Turbo magazines. And NOT ONE of these vehicles have had a problem with the Fidanza product.

We plan to get Eric's NA on a dyno within the next couple of months to show performance gains.

Thank you for your continued support.

Steve

·
Supreme creator of stuff
3,573 Posts
never a doubt

I knew this was a bunch of he said she said steve...thanks for clearing it up......once again...the user improperly installs a product and guess what? he wants a freebee......well to shame for those without torque wrenches.....

BTW-what is the torque for those anyhow...so i dont do the same thing :)

bobk.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
actually

my car just got the cam gears installed that i got from u guys steve and all the other stuff i bought u from u guys, ty and matt plus the supercharger and its gonna be put on the dyno monday so ill scan the dyno sheet and show u guys the gains myself. oh yah steve if u recognize me its Jawad Sayal Ive bought over 3 grand worth of stuff from u guys i think so far. LOL gotta support a 3s bussiness. I love ur customer support also same to u ty for the resistor pack man ur the best also matt u were awesome with my stupid level ten questions lol. U guys can be sure u'll be gettin alot of my future money especially for the 99 conversion and pistons and matt u'll be getting my money for the cam regrind race style. Take care guys ur the best.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.